Board logo

tax refund
hootsno1 - 12/2/11 at 12:59 PM

Hi all
I got a email to day from the tax man saying that i am legable for a tax refund of £468.50 looks legitamate how do tell if its real???
any advice would be greatful.

adam1985 - 12/2/11 at 01:10 PM

When ever i have had them they come as a letter then a cheque

JeffHs - 12/2/11 at 01:10 PM

How did he get your e-mail address?
How do you pay your tax? If you're registered for online tax, can you check the refund on there? If you are registered on-line, you can specify on the web site, securely, where (bank a/c details) you want the refund to be paid.

jack_t - 12/2/11 at 01:12 PM

i got one of those aswell for the exact same amount so it must be fake

mookaloid - 12/2/11 at 01:15 PM

There's a whole load of tax fake refund emails out there - 99.9% certain to be a fake.

Ask your self if you have applied for a refund recently - they don't volunteer to pay you back unless you have asked.

mrwibble - 12/2/11 at 01:21 PM

had the same email, surprisingly i am owed exactly the same amount as you!!

delete it and report it as a phishing scam to hmrc.

adithorp - 12/2/11 at 01:22 PM

It's a fake. A very good copy of the HMRC format... but a fake. Just hold your cursor over the HMRC link and it'll show the true link. Don't click it!

Minicooper - 12/2/11 at 01:23 PM

I have one as well same amount, if you hover over the link you should see depending on your anti virus a blocked link from another completely different URL

This is the link hidden in my email nowt to do with the tax man
"http://frimorecruitment.co.za/components/com_content/models/hmrc/hmrc/refundportal.htm"

Just recently I have been getting loads of these phising emails

Cheers
David

hootsno1 - 12/2/11 at 01:45 PM

I sent the email to hmrc and had a phone call from them just now its a scam was told not click any links ops to late
Thanks all
mark

carpmart - 12/2/11 at 02:37 PM

Got the same email too!

DRC INDY 7 - 12/2/11 at 04:46 PM

I have had one of them how stupid do they think people are as if they have everybodys email address

plentywahalla - 12/2/11 at 06:15 PM

Yep got one too! ... I reckoned that if it was from HMRC at least they would know my name!

JoelP - 12/2/11 at 06:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hootsno1
I sent the email to hmrc and had a phone call from them just now its a scam was told not click any links ops to late
Thanks all
mark

Be careful then, i believe if you click the link then you get put on a suckers list, and get a load more in future. I never click links in unsolicited emails.

Ninehigh - 12/2/11 at 07:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adam1985
When ever i have had them they come as a letter then a cheque

Whenever I have had them they come as a letter then they do nothing, apparently I have to ask them to send me the money they owe me...