Board logo

Barclays Contactless debit cards
Snuggs - 15/10/11 at 12:23 PM

Rant Mode On

My debit card is due to expire soon so I was sent a replacement by Barclay's.

Instead of a normal "Chip & Pin" card I was sent one of the new Contactless cards.

I have searched the net and I have decided that this technology is as yet not as secure as the banks claim.

I contacted Barclay's to request that I be sent a "normal" card only to be told that that was not possible because all new cards will be Contactless.

I asked to speak to a supervisor/manager but was told no-one was available.

I requested that I be transferred to someone who deals specifically with debit cards, after being put on hold I was then transferred back into the original queueing system and then cut off.

Called back again and asked to speak to someone who deals specifically with debit cards and eventually was connected to a woman who told me that I could get a normal card but I would have to take the replacement that they had sent me into my local branch so they could cancel it, I would then be sent a normal card. When I told her that I used on-line banking because it was difficult to get to my local branch she said that this was the only way I could get a normal card.

I asked to be transferred to complaints, was put on hold and then cut off.

Called back again and demanded to be connected to the complaints section, got transferred immediately to an extremely helpful customer relations advisor. After explaining exactly what had occurred and what I want she said "No problem Sir, I can cancel that card for you now and will send a normal replacement card out to you"

WHY COULDN'T THE FIRST PERSON I SPOKE TO HAVE DONE WHAT I WANTED.

Rant Mode Off

Confused but excited. - 15/10/11 at 12:32 PM

Because they want you to say " Oh, OK, I'll keep this one then".

cliftyhanger - 15/10/11 at 12:35 PM

Thios sort of stuff really annoys me.
I think you should complain to the CEO and ask that the front-line staff are either better trained or instructed not to lie.
As for cutting customers off, that is criminal. OK, won't get anybody hung, but it is disgusting to treat people like that

JoelP - 15/10/11 at 02:12 PM

cant see the problem with contactless myself, its limited to £15 and im sure they will refund you if you do get stung.

britishtrident - 15/10/11 at 02:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
cant see the problem with contactless myself, its limited to £15 and im sure they will refund you if you do get stung.

It won't be limited to £15 for long ------ they will sneak it upwards once they have seduced the customer.

David Jenkins - 15/10/11 at 03:13 PM

Barclays were highlighted as the bank with the most complaints in a recent survey...

We left them years ago after various problems (including getting 35 pence interest in a 3-month period - from which they deducted tax!). Now with the Halifax - they aren't exactly angels and they do make cock-ups, but at least we feel like they really want our custom.

Ninehigh - 15/10/11 at 06:13 PM

There's nowhere round here that does it, so if I don't get chip and pin I can't use the card.. Thus I'll go somewhere that will let me.

beaver34 - 15/10/11 at 06:20 PM

hows it work anyway? just swipe your card?

Ninehigh - 15/10/11 at 07:31 PM

From what I can see on the advert you can only use it on rollercoasters... You hold it near the machine and they give you a sandwich.

Honestly I have no idea

JoelP - 15/10/11 at 08:14 PM

Macdonalds do it. Just wave it passed the chip and pin machine.

Davey D - 15/10/11 at 08:33 PM

My Halifax debit card has had contactless tech for a few years, but ive never seen anywhere that uses it until about 2weeks ago when i went to Gregs for a sarnie. i noticed they had some new card machines in as in the past they were a cash only shop. Upon closer inspection i saw it was also a contactless device. excited at the chance to use it i swiped my card across it but it didnt work properly. the staff there hadnt even heard of contactless so i had to re do the transaction in normal chip and pin fashion :-(