Board logo

ppi claim back
brookie - 18/7/12 at 06:10 PM

as above any one does this if so what firm did u use and where they any good

blakep82 - 18/7/12 at 06:14 PM

do it yourself! don't waste money paying someone a small fortune to do something you can do with 1 phone call to the lender!

James - 18/7/12 at 06:16 PM

A very small bit of research and you'll find you basically only have to contact your bank.

Money Box on Radio4 are always going on about it so check their BBC page.

The 3rd parties just nick a lump of money off you for the sake of a letter!

The old dear next door did it this way and she ended up having to go and meet some bloke at a cash point, take out £250 to give him and only then would he hand over the cheque written to her by the bank!

DIY!

Cheers,
JAmes

[Edited on 18/7/12 by James]

brookie - 18/7/12 at 07:23 PM

the problem i got is a dont now all the banks i used for loans c/c and morgage

ReMan - 18/7/12 at 07:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by brookie

In which case your probably not going to get very far with a ppi company either

brookie - 18/7/12 at 07:55 PM

that sorted that then thanks

daviep - 18/7/12 at 08:10 PM

quote:

In that case you don't really deserve to get anything back.

If you can't remember your lenders then I would assume that you can't remember the individual agreements, in which case you how can you say you were mis-sold.

If you signed up to something without reading the terms and conditions (small print) then it is your own fault if you paid for a product you didn't want / need.

I don't mean to sound harsh but all the parasites who jump on the compensation band wagon only serve to drive up the costs for the rest of the customers.

Regards
Davie

JoelP - 18/7/12 at 09:32 PM

Genuine question here davie. Did you really read every last bit of small print last time you signed something, or took something on? I mean something like car or home insurance, or a loan, or when you were last on the internet and ticked a box saying you had read terms and conditions? I would usually only scan a summary.

Last time i got a loan, i agreed a total and a rate. I trusted them to accurately apply the rate to work out a repayment. I have never actually checked that the rate they said was correct, as thats quite a hard calculation. I have always assummed that if i didnt ask for extras like PPI, and they didnt mention it, then i hadnt been sold it. I certainly never wanted anything like that, as i know its mostly no use to me being self employed. I do intend to check with the various companies to make sure i havent been scammed for it.

What the banks have done is a bit like if the supermarkets charged you for a bag without telling you.

quote:
Originally posted by daviep
quote:

In that case you don't really deserve to get anything back.

If you can't remember your lenders then I would assume that you can't remember the individual agreements, in which case you how can you say you were mis-sold.

If you signed up to something without reading the terms and conditions (small print) then it is your own fault if you paid for a product you didn't want / need.

I don't mean to sound harsh but all the parasites who jump on the compensation band wagon only serve to drive up the costs for the rest of the customers.

Regards
Davie

daviep - 18/7/12 at 10:26 PM

^^^^

Genuine answer, car insurance, house insurance, mortgage, credit card. Yes, I opened the pop up windows, downloaded the acrobat files etc etc, most are still on my desktop.

Other stuff T&C's for installing software etc, no.

I'm not saying I've never paid for something I didn't want / need, last year I paid for 6 months subscription to a credit refrence agency because I forgot to cancel after the free introductory period. I wasn't particularly happy to have wasted 6x £7.99 but I also didn't feel the need / right to complain that said company didn't warn me immediately prior to the trial period expiring, I read, understood and accepted the T&C's at the begining the fact that I forgot was only my fault. The fact that the whole "free trial subscription" is offered purely to in the hope that people will forget and continue to pay is neither here nor there.

If somebody has genuinely been mis-sold eg. they have been sold a product which did not provide the cover which the sales person said it would, then they should be compensated for any premiums plus inetrest.

If they signed up for a product without enquiring verbally or by reading T&C's to confirm suitabilty then it is their own fault, chalk it up to experience and learn from it, same goes if you paid a premium unknowingly, how can you not know when it is on every statement?

To comment on you're supermarket analogy: I'm sure they would include the price on your receipt, if you choose not to check you receipt that's your decision. If you did check your receipt then you would probably take your own bags the next time you went shopping.

I guess we all have a different outlook on life, I believe my finances are my responsibilty nobody elses, if I get it wrong it's my fault.

Regards
Davie

Proby - 19/7/12 at 06:50 AM

I can sort of agree with what your saying Davie, but many people were genuinely sold products they did not ask for.

Easiest way to find out who your loans were with is to sign up for a 30 day free trial of experian and get a full individual credit report/check. This will list all your previous loans/mortgages/credit applications even if they are paid off. You can then contact the individual companies to ask for copies of t&c's. Then go through and check them. Most banks charge '£1' standard fee for a copy of t&c's. There is loads of info out there, google is your freind.

Proby - 19/7/12 at 06:51 AM

Edit: double post deleted.

[Edited on 19/7/12 by Proby]

mcerd1 - 19/7/12 at 08:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by daviep
In that case you don't really deserve to get anything back......

......I don't mean to sound harsh but all the parasites who jump on the compensation band wagon only serve to drive up the costs for the rest of the customers.
Don't hold back now Davie, tell us what you really think

One of my mates used a company to claim for him, he lost a fat chunk of the compensation to them - yet he thought he'd got a good deal untill we told him otherwise - but then he is a total idiot when it comes to money

mds167 - 19/7/12 at 11:31 AM

Surely you keep track of who you had your loans with and to whom you paid your mortgage?!!! This is important stuff!

I would normally subscribe to Davie's view but some companies put it on without telling customers. It is on the documentation though - which we should retain and read as customers to check for errors!!