Board logo

What turntable amp set up to buy
Jasper - 9/2/13 at 09:12 AM

After near 20 years without a record player and after watching the BBC programme on albums we have decided to invest in a turntable set up to enjoy our old vinyl collections and maybe even buy some new ones!

So I need turntable amp and speakers for a kitchen dining living room about 25-30 ft sq.

As for budget I know it's much do you want to spend but it would be good idea to have an idea what I need to spend. Happy to buy good quality secondhand, hoping to keep it under £500.

Suggestions

theduck - 9/2/13 at 09:25 AM

Project make an excellent budget turn table and phono amp. Connect that to something like a marantz amp and a pair of mission speakers an you will have a great little setup in budget. Can't quite current model numbers as its been a while since I was in the industry.

mds167 - 9/2/13 at 09:28 AM

Pro-ject usually get well reviewed and they make phono stages if you get an amp with only line inputs, think the basic debut comes in under £200 and the phono stage is £70, leavesroom for a basic ampand some decent second hand speakers. Or go locost and make your own...

wilkingj - 9/2/13 at 11:30 AM

Whatever you buy, make sure the input matches the output of your cartridge on your turntable.

Magnetic and Ceramic cartridges have different impedences and outputs. Hence you need the right input on the amp.
I doubt if a modern Amp will cater for this. As its been a long while since run Proper turntables were used.

All I am saying is check it has the matching input before parting with cash.
Otherwise you might need to get a levelling amp.
IMHO get the right one first time. Its easier and less grief.

Smoking Frog - 9/2/13 at 01:53 PM

When I used to be into hi-fi (about 30 years ago) I had a Rega Planer 3 turntable with a Rotel amp, I made my own speakers.

Eddie

RK - 9/2/13 at 01:54 PM

most modern amps won't have a phono stage, but these are available on ebay for cheap. Just make sure you have enough inputs on your amp and you are set! I am certain you can keep it all below 500.

Don't overlook using studio passive monitors (you can even get Mackie for very cheap now), even though everyone will tell you how "the dispersion is wrong, and it won't work in your living room etc". Yes it will, don't listen. They will be far superior to your run of the mill stereo speakers.

[Edited on 9/2/13 by RK]

inkafone - 9/2/13 at 03:41 PM

Richer Sounds or Ebay - get an old class A amp and a Dual Turntable - you may well need a seperate cartridge amp with a modern amplifier. Modern speakers are pretty good - loads of choice. Where are you based - I have some old floor standing Tangent speakers and an old (untested) belt drive turntable/arm.

Jasper - 11/2/13 at 10:30 AM

Cheers chaps, and I'm based down in Brighton I'm afraid. Might be a trip to Richer Sounds near me then as I have no idea about this type of gear.