Board logo

Vulcan bomber
Peteff - 31/8/13 at 03:26 PM

Very impressive, just did a low pass over us, sounded brilliant.

tango man - 31/8/13 at 03:36 PM

just past over hear as well , awsome sound

snakebelly - 31/8/13 at 04:20 PM

How low? Did you see my name on the bomb bay door?

steve m - 31/8/13 at 04:29 PM

Very jealous

gottabedone - 31/8/13 at 04:35 PM

fantastic machine
steve

steve m - 31/8/13 at 04:54 PM

I know, as I Know two of the pilots, very well, as their Virgin Pilots

Peteff - 31/8/13 at 05:20 PM

It went back on the return journey a while back, low again but didn't see your name on it.

morcus - 31/8/13 at 05:32 PM

I had to settle for what I think was a Hercules flying quite low, though it might have been larger plane flying slightly higher.

liam.mccaffrey - 31/8/13 at 07:23 PM

on a related note I went to Port Stanley Airport a couple of year ago. Can still see some of the Vulcan Damage

Matt159888 - 31/8/13 at 08:51 PM

My names on the bomb doors too!. Had the pleasure of a good chat with Martin Withers the falklands pilot in 607 which there is a great book on. The Vulcan howl is awsome to hear!. The Vulcan and the Lightning both were show stoppers from a time when Britain really was great!!!

franky - 31/8/13 at 09:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
on a related note I went to Port Stanley Airport a couple of year ago. Can still see some of the Vulcan Damage

You mean the mud craters made by the Argentine's so it looked liked the runway was out of use?

liam.mccaffrey - 31/8/13 at 09:12 PM

If you say so?!?

quote:
Originally posted by franky
quote:

You mean the mud craters made by the Argentine's so it looked liked the runway was out of use?

bi22le - 31/8/13 at 10:24 PM

I can beat that same old fly over.

Living in SE london I regularly get a police chopper hovering over a local area for an hour at a time hunting the latest scum. Watch the spot light shine out of the sky like sci fi film is massively entertaining. . . .

Just kidding kids!

I wish I had fly overs from non police or comercial planes. The best I see is the odd chinock (SP?).

trikerneil - 1/9/13 at 04:36 AM

I've been told Vulcan XH558 will be flying at the Bournemouth air show today (Sunday) at about 4:30 pm.

Neil

T66 - 1/9/13 at 08:00 AM

Helicopter displays are not that good to watch, but the Chinook does a very good show, serious amount of power/weight when empty.

franky - 1/9/13 at 11:51 AM

quote:
If you say so?!?

quote:
quote:

Its a sad but true fact, the runway was in use till the day before the liberation.

scudderfish - 1/9/13 at 12:12 PM

quote:
Its a sad but true fact, the runway was in use till the day before the liberation.

The full length?

franky - 1/9/13 at 12:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
quote:

The full length?

Long enough that they could still land/take off any of their planes.

scudderfish - 1/9/13 at 02:02 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
quote:

The full length?

Long enough that they could still land/take off any of their planes.

As far as I'm aware, they never based the fast jets out of their due to the truncated use of the runway which significantly reduced their usefulness.

karlak - 1/9/13 at 02:44 PM

Must be the weekend for it.

We have just been "buzzed" by a Lancaster

Matt159888 - 1/9/13 at 05:16 PM

The runway was damaged enough so their fighter jets couldnt fly out of there. The small prop planes flew out of there and a hercules made some drops in there though was took out by a harrier flown by sharky ward. The big reason for the bombing was to show they were in range of our RAF and could easily have flown on to Argentina main land and remember that the Vulcan could carry the nuke. So as much as damaging the runway maybe not massive but moral of the islanders and the point that we could reach them was the main point.

Peteff - 1/9/13 at 06:39 PM

To top it off we went onto Beeley Moor today and watched the Red Arrows doing a display over Chatsworth Country Fair. It lasted nearly half an hour and we had ringside seats with the planes on a level with us as they came over the show in the valley.

trikerneil - 1/9/13 at 09:27 PM

Vulcan never flew today, cancelled due to trouble with No. 7 tank according to Bournemouth air show FM radio.

Neil