Board logo

Dodgy ebay email
Hellfire - 24/10/06 at 05:18 PM

Just received this from PayPal saying they have restricted my account for my own good as it looks like there is fraudulous activity (how thoughtful!) but then provided a link within the email for me to confirm my particulars. I'm always wary of links within emails.

Looking at the source code it looks like it originates from California, but with an apparently looking genuine ebay account. There are no such messages in my ebay account so I'm assuming it is fake... just be on your guard as it is a good one.

This is a screenie of the email.

[Edited on 24-10-06 by Hellfire]

SeaBass - 24/10/06 at 05:24 PM

The key is that your paypal user name or actual name are no part of the message...

Deckman001 - 24/10/06 at 05:26 PM

I get lots of fakes like this, I just forward them to 'spoof' and merily delete them

Jason

Catpuss - 24/10/06 at 05:37 PM

yeah, IIRC what you are seeing (in terms of from address) is the equivelent of a letter head not the actual from address. Its not too difficult to forger these.

marktigere1 - 24/10/06 at 06:50 PM

If your name is not part of the email, then it is a scam.

Told this by Paypal after my account was tampered with

Cheers

Mark

Dazza - 24/10/06 at 07:17 PM

had about 30 over the last few months. as the other point out, if your actual name is on in the "dear who ever bit". then its fake.......
paypal, ebay, barclays, etc etc, so many now...
evil u know whaters........

Dick Axtell - 25/10/06 at 09:14 AM

I've had several ultra-dodgy msgs supposedly from Ebay, a couple of which were extraordinarily threatening!

Simply forwarded them to spoof@ebay.co.uk.
BTW - what is meant by "e-gold"?