Board logo

Whats the biggest engine you can fit in a mini? Crazy (half drunk) evening thought
speedyxjs - 24/5/08 at 07:45 PM

Just browsing ebay and looking at a few mini's and had a crazy thought. What is the biggest engine you could fit in a mini and keep it practicle (if its possible)?
I know people have put an RV8 but thats not really practicle.

ETA - NO BIKE ENGINES

[Edited on 24-5-08 by speedyxjs]

mookaloid - 24/5/08 at 07:51 PM

I've seen videos of a Civic type R engined mini - I don't think you'd get much more (or need much more) engine in a mini

b184 - 24/5/08 at 07:52 PM

How about a V10 or V12 in the back and drive through to the front. Like standard rwd but backwards
need to fill under bonnet with concrete to stop wheels spinning.
Maybe 4x4 system

speedyxjs - 24/5/08 at 07:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
I've seen videos of a Civic type R engined mini - I don't think you'd get much more (or need much more) engine in a mini

i like that idea. Any idea where you saw the vid?

B184 - i would have to remove the rear seats (not that i know anyone who might fit in them ) but it does mean i could use a jag V12

CRAIGR - 24/5/08 at 08:05 PM

At least a couple of civic engined minis in East Sussex.
Why waste a perfectly good mini by sticking half a ton of noah's ark rope oil sealed jaguar ***** in it.

Paul TigerB6 - 24/5/08 at 08:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

i like that idea. Any idea where you saw the vid?

Z Cars probably.

clips here.

Jon Ison - 24/5/08 at 08:10 PM

Guess its been beaten but seen plenty of RWD mini pickups with supercharged yank tanks in back, I once had one with a rover V8 turbo motor in back, nice........

See don't just do bike engines here

edit to add just finished reading post properly, biggest I have seen in front driving front, Lancia 2ltr turbo motor.

[Edited on 24/5/08 by Jon Ison]

b184 - 24/5/08 at 08:23 PM

mini van or pick up
They usually require a total rebuild, so you could do what you want

jacko - 24/5/08 at 08:24 PM

I had a Essex 3.1 v6 in a mini drivers seat nearly in the back engine inside
not practical at all
Jacko

UncleFista - 24/5/08 at 08:25 PM

quote:

ETA - NO BIKE ENGINES

Why is it not practical ?

FWD, no cutting of the bulkhead, looks like a good conversion to me

LINK

You just need to keep an eye out for an Austin Princess/Ambassador gearbox

The indomitable Spag from Spagweb (has posted on here before) has done it too LINK TO SPAGWEB

[Edited on 24/5/08 by UncleFista]

irvined - 24/5/08 at 09:00 PM

Vauxhall 16v: http://www.16vmini.co.uk/

and for all y'all bec folks:

http://www.pro-motive.co.uk/ - fwd, still keep your back seats, very practical.

hillbillyracer - 24/5/08 at 09:05 PM

I stuffed a 2l turbo form a Montego into the front of my grasser Mini, despite being a bit on the heavy side & the motor being stock apart from a bleed valve on the wastegate I could do the 1/4 mile in under 14 secs. Great fun for suprising boy racers who thought it was a banger racer at RWYB.
I later switched to the 2.0l Rover 16v (same block & gearbox) which suited the grassing better.
Here's link to a site with a pic of mine, very rough & ready!
http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9026&highlight=rover+turbo
Loads of info on there about doing silly things to Minis!

bazwaz - 24/5/08 at 09:10 PM

What about a V8
http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=138

Barry

eznfrank - 25/5/08 at 06:21 AM

I remember seeing a mini in one of the mini mags which had full running gear from a Sierra XR4x4i, Rads were in the boot but pretty much everything else was where it's supposed to be. Bonnet was colossal and I doubt he could see to the nearside at all. Oh yeah and transmission tunnel was so big the shifter was up near his ear somewhere!!

eznfrank - 25/5/08 at 06:21 AM

I remember seeing a mini in one of the mini mags which had full running gear from a Sierra XR4x4i, Rads were in the boot but pretty much everything else was where it's supposed to be. Bonnet was colossal and I doubt he could see to the nearside at all. Oh yeah and transmission tunnel was so big the shifter was up near his ear somewhere!!

speedyxjs - 25/5/08 at 07:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
quote:

ETA - NO BIKE ENGINES

Why is it not practical ?

I figured it would be easier to drop something FWD in the front than have to modify the rear.
BTW - I never thought id see something crammed his tight into a mini