Board logo

Controversial post ?
Jon Ison - 10/8/08 at 07:55 PM

What events should be banned from the Olympics ? Goes and runs for cover.....

1) Anything that requires judging. An Olympic champion should quantitatively beaten his/her rivals, not won 'in someone else's opinion'. I'll allow boxing, because even though it's judged, there's at least a proper basis for it.

2) Anything that's done by an artificially stupid method, e.g walking. If you can get disqualified for doing it a 'faster'way, then that faster way should be the event. Out go all the daft swimming strokes, apart from crawl. And the swim turns can be however you like.

3) Anything when it's not really the human doing it - e.g showjumping.

So, I'm afraid I've kicked out all the gymnastics and horsey events. A whole load of the swimming. Good riddance to them.

[Edited on 10/8/08 by Jon Ison]

mookaloid - 10/8/08 at 07:59 PM

Never understood Synchronised Swimming

Benzine - 10/8/08 at 08:06 PM

I agree with banning any event where the results are subjective. I mean lots of people think coldplay are good but that doesn't mean they're right.

They should add a 100m sprint where drugs are allowed, would be great

No female topless boxing AGAIN this year I see!

[Edited on 10/8/08 by Benzine]

joneh - 10/8/08 at 08:08 PM

I think we should ban the new London logo. It looks like a bloke doing a bird from behind! (right to left)

Edit: Or someone recieving a bl*wjob (left to right)

[Edited on 10/8/08 by joneh]

RichardK - 10/8/08 at 08:13 PM

Beach Volley Ball is still ok then

Think BMX racing is in this year, just think I could have been an Olympiad,

Rich

scotty g - 10/8/08 at 08:19 PM

Ladies syncronised diving should stay for the same reasons as the Beach volley ball.
watched some this morning....OMG!

GeoffT - 10/8/08 at 08:21 PM

The triple jump is the one that always gets me - totally unnatural, contrived and pointless. At least the long jump has a real life use occasionally, but the 'hop, skip and jump' ??

(with apologies to Jonathan Edwards' fans)...

liam.mccaffrey - 10/8/08 at 08:22 PM

sports they should bring in

pole vault for distance
speed rock climbing
UFC
octopush

[Edited on 10/8/08 by liam.mccaffrey]

eznfrank - 10/8/08 at 08:25 PM

As above, the walking is just ridiculous I imagine it's a sport full of failed runners.

Another vote for BMX. Would like to see Parkour but more of a race rather tahn a gymnastic type event.

johnston - 10/8/08 at 08:29 PM

what about bringing back the old sports the olympics were based on..

like proper fighting to the death

I vote that gordon brown represtents gb in 2012

CRAIGR - 10/8/08 at 08:29 PM

Quite like the womens 'snatch' in the weightlifting

bob - 10/8/08 at 08:37 PM

I've always thought athletics were missing a trick by NOT having a 4x440metre hurdle relay

David Jenkins - 10/8/08 at 08:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by johnston
what about bringing back the old sports the olympics were based on..

...done in the nude, as they originally did in Greece?

Could make the women's events interesting enough to make me watch them (not sure about the shot-put though )

scootz - 10/8/08 at 08:40 PM

It's all gone a bit like the Guinness Book of Records... become increasingly pointless.

I used to love that book to read all about the Biggest, the Heaviest, the Oldest, etc. Now it's become all Who Can Eat The Most Blades of Grass With Their Left Ear - ish!

When I were a lad...

Jon Ison - 10/8/08 at 09:20 PM

Not as controversial as I thought ?

The easiest way to judge the walking is for the competitors to keep a baton between their buttocks, if they drop it they are out ?

Wot you fink ?

Triton - 10/8/08 at 09:24 PM

No engines so no interest for me at all..and why anyone would want to lift such daft weights is beyond me!

liam.mccaffrey - 10/8/08 at 09:37 PM

@ David

not all shot putter are fatties

I always thought Astrid Kumberness was pretty hot, NWS
linky

theconrodkid - 10/8/08 at 09:41 PM

should go back to the original format
naked women in a mud bowl armed with various weapons attacking politicians and chavs,as a treat lions could be let loose into the crowd.
for a finale peado,s could be attacked by flame thrower wielding amazons dressed in skimpy grass (eco friendly) skirts.
that would get the viewing figures up

smart51 - 10/8/08 at 09:55 PM

tripple jump is a pointless way to jump. Either jump a long way or jump very high.

Butterfly stoke in swimming is just stupid. Crawl is fast, breast stroke conserves energy (swiming from a sinking ship) make it an endurance event. Back stroke is good for life guards. Change the rules so you have to tow something.

Most gymnastics are pointless.

Dressage.

Hammer throw, What kind of way to throw something is that?

Speed walking. Just run.

BTW, did you hear that an American pro-gay lobby group pushed for a Snickers advert to be banned because Mr T shouted at a speed walker "walk like a man". The American speed walking society then made a complaint to the American Human Rights Board for implying that speed walkers are Gay.

Bob C - 10/8/08 at 10:18 PM

hobby horse of mine this.

50% of the events seem to be running.

boring

I'd like to see the sack race & egg& spoon.
Hammer throw? Call that a hammer? - bang a fence post in with it THEN you can call it a hammer!
Long jump should be over a canal with a width taper - see who has the balls to leap the widest part.
High jump should have no stupid rules about taking off from one leg - but you should land on flat ground level concrete. Same with pole vault.
New events:
changing the wheel on a transit
hacksawing through a 1" round steel bar
(marathon version is a 3" round steel bar)

I quite like the idea of just picking folk at random out of the phone book. Practicing and training seem like cheating to me.....

jollygreengiant - 10/8/08 at 10:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey

pole vault for distance
speed rock climbing
UFC
octopush

Another vote for Octopush here. By heck I used to enjoy it.

davie h - 11/8/08 at 12:48 AM

quote:
@ David

not all shot putter are fatties

I always thought Astrid Kumberness was pretty hot, NWS
linky

i thought she was a he at first

Davie

Alan B - 11/8/08 at 02:14 AM

Totally agree with the OP....I don't consider anything that needs judging to be sport...contest maybe, but not sport. In a sport you should be able to see who won....not be told.

Also agree about the silly events too...

Another complaint is the inclusion of main stream professional sports...basketball, tennis etc....it takes away form the dedicated rowers, archers etc...

But then again the big sponsors and TV would lose interest.......so basically it's all a load of nutsack really.........

owelly - 11/8/08 at 09:02 AM

I like to wind my workmate up. He's an Ex Yorkshire Rugby player, a current Scarborough rugger player and a very competative rower. I point out that the darts and snooker players are athletes. Likewise, archers and other such 'sports'. He rants that they are just hobbies.....
And if you get him started on the Olympics....

02GF74 - 11/8/08 at 09:18 AM

all events involving snow or ice should be banned.

martyn_16v - 11/8/08 at 11:08 AM

Anything where the Olympics isn't the absolute pinnacle of the sport, e.g. football. No-one really gives a toss about olympic football, it's all about the World Cup. Same with baseball (god only knows how that got in in the first place, why have a sport that only two countries actually play), it's the 'world' series that all baseball players dream about.

I do like the idea of going back to the ancient Greek thing of naked athletes. Womens beach volleyball would become even more interesting than it already is

MikeR - 11/8/08 at 12:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
all events involving snow or ice should be banned.

Oh no they shouldn't - skiing is fantastic, but perhaps they should have 8 lanes and let everyone race at once!

James - 11/8/08 at 02:31 PM

All I know is they should have Savate there... then I would be there currently!

If only Paris had won the 2012 Olympics not London. The French government/Olympic committee had guaranteed the Savate Federation that they would bring it in. Bear in mind that although small in the UK it's a global sport.
Way better to watch than the poxy WTF TaeKwon-Do that they have currently!

Rant over,
James

EDIT:
See, how could you not want to watch this:

Some full contact highlights:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw4h_33AVDY

Complete full contact fight:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DymS391Qe_U

Complete semi contact fight (one of my favourites):
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=79j-uAyRJFo

[Edited on 11/8/08 by James]

fesycresy - 11/8/08 at 02:57 PM

quote:

UFC

And now you've got to subscribe to Setanta over here

David Jenkins - 11/8/08 at 03:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Likewise, archers and other such 'sports'.

Just try 100 shots or more, pulling 30+ lbs each time, trying to stay still and balanced, and repeating your technique EXACTLY every time. 'King 'ard.

I used to do competition archery - I used to be knackered at the end of a long contest. One one amazing day I shot alongside Olympic-grade archers (I was NOWHERE near that grade!) which was a remarkable thing to watch.

Oh - you also have to walk up and down the field about 40 times as well as keep you archery skills up.

Peteff - 11/8/08 at 04:06 PM

What about catching the javelin and nutting the shot, I'd like to volunteer a few people for these two events.