Board logo

V6 Engine and Transmision Options
Howlor - 22/3/09 at 08:30 PM

Just after some ideas - I am looking for a V6 engine but I need the transmission to be able to mount the engine just in front/above the rear axle line similar to a 6r4 Metro.

I think the usual donor transaxles mount the engine forward of the axle line. The vw porsche style mount the engine t'other way!

Any ideas how I can achieve this?

Thanks,
Steve

Edit: Forgot to add, I need the engine longitudinal.

[Edited on 22/3/09 by Howlor]

speedyxjs - 22/3/09 at 08:33 PM

How about an Alfa 75 (not sure what others use it) as seen on TG?

mr henderson - 22/3/09 at 08:37 PM

I don't think you will find such a layout. he nearest would probably be Audi 4/6/8

Miks15 - 22/3/09 at 08:39 PM

noble?

lol

Howlor - 22/3/09 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
noble?

lol

Oh yes I forgot I could buy a Noble, rip out it's innards to make a lookalikie!

Steve

Guinness - 22/3/09 at 08:52 PM

I think the closest will be the Audi V6 engine, with the FWD (2WD) gearbox. The driveshafts appear to leave the gearbox casing just behind the clutch.

ebay linky

(That is the combo I am thinking about for my midi.)

HTH

Mike

Howlor - 22/3/09 at 08:54 PM

Mike that's a big help thanks. It does seem about the only option, I don't want the engine to be too far forward as I want to keep a shortish wheelbase.

What are the best audi V6's for power? Are some easier than others to get running on after market ECU's etc.

Thanks,
Steve

DIY Si - 22/3/09 at 09:02 PM

I'm watching that transaxle too!
The only two options that I can think of are either the Audi transaxle (which will obviously fit the Audi V6), or try for something like the Alfa transaxle, although that uses a torque tube, so it may put the engine too far forwards. All the other options I can think of will either be too long, or put the engine in transverse. I'm thinking of being awkward and using the Alfa V6 with the Audi transaxle for my next toy.

As for tuning the Audi, depends how much power you want. There's a basic NA version, or anything up to the twin turbo set up from, IIRC, the old RS4. Or all the usual options, head work, remap, etc etc. A mate has one in his Audi and is considering a supercharger.

Guinness - 22/3/09 at 09:03 PM

Sorry Steve, I have no idea about the different engines / ecu's etc. I really haven't done enough research to advise yet.

I was hoping to just buy a complete car! The trouble is the higher powered V6's seemed to usually come with quattro gearboxes.

Mike

ss1turbo - 22/3/09 at 09:04 PM

Assuming you mean that you still want the engine inline, then its pretty much the Audi route unless you want to play about a bit. Other option might be a Renault 25 V6 - transaxle was used by Lotus for the Esprit?

Will a transverse V6 not be suitable then? In which case, the world is your oyster (Mondeo, etc)..

bram boekestein - 22/3/09 at 09:31 PM

Audi 80 2.6 V6 come in 2wd, my neighbours had one but burnt down I wanted it as a donor

2.4, 2.8 and 3.7L are audi's v6 from a4/a6/a8 you can lose the quattro box and put a fwd box to it.

DIY Si - 22/3/09 at 09:50 PM

Just a thought about the more powerful V6s and their quattro boxes. When changing over to a 2WD box, will it handle the power you intend AND have suitable gear ratios? I'd guess that the diesel boxes are stronger, but longer geared, whilst the petrol boxes may have the right gearing but might not be up to loads of extra power. It might not matter, but worth checking.

MakeEverything - 22/3/09 at 09:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Howlor
quote:
noble?

lol

Steve

Isnt the noble basically the front end of a mondeo stitched to the rear?

I looked at doing what youre after to a Mk1 fiesta. We bought a Renault 21 (25?) transaxle, adapter plate and Rover V8 which would have fitted a treat with a lot of modification and a bit sticking out the back.

Also, what about the 2.5 Transit front end? Is that not a possibility? - Ive never seen one out of a van, so i might be talking shite.

MakeEverything - 22/3/09 at 09:54 PM

Oh, Also, i looked at this before starting my current build. Its a LOT of work, and with not that many benefits that i could find - if any.

Plus your walking unchartered territory in some senses, which might make it difficult to overcome certain challenges.

Good luck though, id be interested to see what you come up with, or maybe even throw some of the ideas i had into the pot.

Miks15 - 23/3/09 at 11:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
quote:
Originally posted by Howlor
quote:
noble?

lol

Steve

Isnt the noble basically the front end of a mondeo stitched to the rear?

The early one had a transverse engine with a mondeo box but the M15 i beleive was longditudinal

Liam - 23/3/09 at 06:02 PM

Honda Legend.

Old 2.5/2.7 versions were transverse V6 (as used in Rover 825/827). However the 3.2 and 3.5 versions had a longitudinal configuration but retained front wheel drive. So the gearbox sits behind the engine and a small propshaft drives forwards to a diff on the side of the sump, with one driveshaft running through the sump. Exactly like the front part of the ford 4x4 setup. 240bhp standard for the 3.5.

That do?

Liam

Liam - 23/3/09 at 06:25 PM

Ah ha - thought I had this somewhere... proof I'm not making it all up! Good luck finding a manual though. Rescued attachment legendtranny.jpg
Rescued attachment legendtranny.jpg

MikeRJ - 23/3/09 at 06:50 PM

If it's only going to be RWD, can you not mount the engine transversely?

Liam - 23/3/09 at 08:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
If it's only going to be RWD, can you not mount the engine transversely?

Apparently not - see the OP. Would make things rather easier, though.

Howlor - 23/3/09 at 08:58 PM

Liam,

that sounds absolutely perfect, the picture isn't showing but I will search the interweb!

Many thanks

Howlor - 23/3/09 at 08:59 PM

It is now!

Liam - 23/3/09 at 09:34 PM

Been googling a little bit too to refresh my legend memory! We're talking about gen 2 (91 - 96) for a 3.2 or gen 3 (96-04) for a 3.5. Seem to be finding varying power output specs too - probably by region. Also the suggestion that a manual box may be a thing of rarity (if it exists at all), which may scupper your plans (although autos are awesome!).

So why does it have to be longitudinal?

Liam

Howlor - 24/3/09 at 09:13 PM

Liam,

I fancy building a rally replica and especially like the layout of the 6r4. It may in the end have to be transverse but I am going to try and stick to my original plan just for looks and to see if I can acheive it!

The Legend looks perfect, I too have done some research and think I may be lucky to find a manual!

Steve