Board logo

The ultimate tuned busa?
bitsilly - 22/6/09 at 09:31 AM

What are the arguments for and against the ways to tune a busa (esp likelyhood to explode!)?

I have a busa turbo, which needs to be dry sumped and fitted for me, as it is beyond me to fit it, so it is quite expensive to use. And the installation will require intercoolers etc so will not be an off the peg installation due to the turbo getting in the way.

The alternative is to part ex this with Holeshot against something like a 1441 aspirated engine with a K8 crank and dry sumped, which should be good for 230bhp (or one of their stroked or bored offerings). This would mean a much easier installation I guess.

The main contenders to take the engine are a Megabusa, and a Sylva Riot or Spectre, both of which I would like to use occasionally on the road.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated, especially from anyone who has driven a busa powered car. My frame of reference is an R1 powered Vortx and a 1.8 zetec Striker.

Cheers
Ed

bitsilly - 22/6/09 at 09:34 AM

occasionally on the road... but mostly as a track car and maybe sprinting or hill climbs.

Steve G - 22/6/09 at 10:31 AM

You can build a car so why not fit the dry sump system etc to your Busa yourself?? I building the car from scratch then it gives you greater flexibility to fit the oil tank, intercooler (or chargecooler) etc and i'm sure if you are capable of building the car then its only a case of learning and confidence thats holding you back from doing the job yourself.

Here's a write up on fitting one to a ZX12R to give you an idea. Busa cant be too disimilar surely.

link

fesycresy - 22/6/09 at 11:58 AM

The SBD sump design looks the best with no hoses from the scavenge pump to the sump. Easy to fit.

For the ultimate ?

Have a look at Duncan Cowpers Dax

Triggerhappy - 22/6/09 at 12:10 PM

Aspirated tuning incl stroking/bore options incl dynograps:
http://www.extremeengines.com/
They are also resellers of Novaīs drysump kit.

Rotrex compressor kit:
http://www.tts-performance.com/catalog/content.php?content=busasupercharged Pls Note this graps is on an Radical so the busa engine is modified from start.
TTS also sells the SBD Dry sump.

You could also source an 2008-2009 engine.
1340cc, higher compression, bigger outputshaft, uprated clutch, 8 injector F/I.
197Hp original.
Thats 20HP above the older unit.....

But it will cost moore to source.

Over all, dry sump is an EXPENSIVE venture..not only the major bitīs is expensive but hoses, fittings etc...it will soon eat big chunks of any pile of money....

[Edited on 22/6/09 by Triggerhappy]

bitsilly - 22/6/09 at 03:09 PM

Cheers gents, some great info.

A possible benefit of the Riot is that the engine is transverse, same direction as when in bike, but I do not know if a dry sump is needed due to ground clearence.
They have been done with busa's before, I guess never with a busa turbo, as they are so light I wouldn't think it is worth it.

Off to study the dynos.

Cheers

INDY BIRD - 22/6/09 at 06:21 PM

Hi Many Dax rush busa turbos run with a standard sump or billet mod sump with no probs just an uprated oil pump, which should have been done if engine is from jack anyway???

so are you sure you need a dry sump will you be pushing the car to the limits on track days etc,

Fitting a intercooler is no probs really just doing it on my zx10r turbo mainthing will be electrics and getting it tuned,

stick with the busa turbo you will not be dissapointed,

anything less is 2nd best,

bitsilly - 23/6/09 at 07:00 AM

That is exactly why I haven't sold it yet!
If I'm honest I have no idea what the turbo will be like but am presuming it will be too much! I guess if it is I can sell it later, but we all know how quickly you get used to power!
The other worry is that at a track day recently a Caterham busa turbo never got off the starting line, and the owner seemed to think this was not unusual!
Regarding the sump, I guess I'll revisit that once I know what car I can get cheaply to put it in!
Many thanks
Ed