Board logo

How close to the exhaust?
flak monkey - 26/12/09 at 11:53 AM

Fiddling around with mounting the supercharger this morning and was thinking about proximity to the exhaust.

The exhaust will exit the head at a similar sort of angle to that represented by the tube in the pics below. But I will have another 5mm of clearance due to the exhaust tube being slightly smaller. The distance between the tube and the compressor housing is about 30mm.

The exhaust will be double wrapped to keep the under bonnet temps down anyway and I will be fitting a 1.5mm thick aluminium heat sheild between the exhaust and the supercharger.

Bearing in mind most of the heat will rise up off the exhaust and not be radiated downwards much at all I think that it will be OK. What do you think?

If push comes to shove I could mount the supercharger on the other side of the engine, then the alternator would be in a similar position to the supercharger now. I will also struggle to get the inlet pipe to the supercharger and it will make the pipe runs to the intercooler much longer and more complex.

Charger mounting 3
Charger mounting 3

Charger mounting 1
Charger mounting 1

Thanks,
David

antonio - 26/12/09 at 12:15 PM

i'm affraid it won't work.just forget about SC and send it to me
IMO, with exhaust wrap and heat shield it won't be a probleme.

Peteff - 26/12/09 at 01:00 PM

If you are moving the heat will be distributed in a different manner to being stationery won't it ? The heat shield should keep it at bay long enough to cool down when you stop.

bigpig - 26/12/09 at 03:18 PM

Considering a single wrap is enough that you can touch the pipes without getting burnt I would have thought that sufficient.

You could always go for one of those exhaust blankets over it all later.

RichardK - 26/12/09 at 04:06 PM

Don't see any problem with what you are suggesting to do. Cheers Rich

flak monkey - 26/12/09 at 09:51 PM

Thanks guys, always good to get a few opinions. Glad to see you think it will be OK as well.

Thanks again
David

goaty - 27/12/09 at 10:57 AM

looking ace David, engine is pushing along lovely now

flak monkey - 27/12/09 at 11:46 AM

Thanks Joe, will be getting the brackets finished tomorrow as long as I dont run out of welding gas!