Board logo

pinto sump re fitting
johhny5 - 13/1/10 at 08:24 PM

Yet another winter job.
My sump had slight leak over the summer when i run my car, i know its not where i cut it down as i have extensively tested it before fitting.
So i think its from somewhere on the gasket, perhps it wasnt quite sealing?
Can any body help with the best way to fit the new sump gasket.
Cheers
John

omega0684 - 13/1/10 at 08:36 PM

do you have a sierra haynes manual? it gives you a step by step diagram.

normally you will find the leaks where the cork gasket meets the rubber seal at the front and rear arc'd parts of the sump.

1) Get a sump gasket kit of ebay, about £6/7 & a tube of gasket sealer.
2) Remove all reminents of old gasket and seals and clean surfaces thoroughly with some white spirits etc (sump and block)
3) Clean up the sump bolts and washers if you want.
4) Put a generous amount of sealer all around mating surface and place gasket on the mating surface (best done with the engine upside down)
5) place the rubber arc sealers on the front and the rear parts. then place sump on top.
6) start in at the bottom left corner and tighten up working in a clockwise mannor
7)Job done

HTH's

Alex

jacko - 13/1/10 at 10:43 PM

I found the best way is to glue the new gasket to the engine block with evo-stic that way you now its in the right place
Than use sealer on the sump before bolting it up
Jacko

rusty nuts - 14/1/10 at 07:44 PM

Cork gaskets sometimes seep even when fitted correctly. Burtons do a better gasket for the Pinto Part number FT793KC , they do one for the X flow , mines been used a couple of times and has no signs of any leaks. HTH