Board logo

Moped engine question
Dave Ashurst - 10/3/10 at 06:54 PM

Dear all,

OK, I've got this fantastic little gem of a 1999 reg, 2 stroke Suzuki AY50 scooter. 50CC that is - i.e. moped to you.

ANyway the oil pump has started leaking into the sump if it's left standing. (left standing in the garage for any length of time I mean - obviously it gets left standing at the lights quite often but without any serious after effects... I digress... )

So day after day without use the oil pump drips steadily into the sump and eventually reaches the level of a tiny gap in the exhaust gasket (I suppose) and a small pool of red 2 stroke oil appears on the garage floor.

Apart from the stain there's an embarrassing problem of huge volumes of thick creamy white smoke as the oil clears after starting.

Basically I have the choice of creating drifting clouds of smoke fogging up the front gardens near our house while it warms up OR laying a giant white sausage of smoke trail away from the house and round the corner for the several hundred metres.

Is the oil pump serviceable? repairable?

Or should I just buy a new pump? Plus it looks very tricky to remove - anyone done it?

This is a serious question.
Genuine replies only please

ta
Dave

steve m - 10/3/10 at 07:08 PM

Can you not do away with the pump, and just mix in the 2 stroke oil with the petrol,

I did this on a Suzuki gt250 years ago to give me more power,

Not sure if its safe (in a reliability type of safe )

steve

Dave Ashurst - 10/3/10 at 07:31 PM

Hmmm. Yes, good lateral thinking. I like it.

Dave Ashurst - 10/3/10 at 07:35 PM

.... what happened to the GT250?

just a thought

deanwelch - 10/3/10 at 07:35 PM

we all did it by mixing it in a petrol can 25+ years ago in our fs1es...............just make sure its well mixed or you will be cleaning oil out of the carb..........happy days..........lol

Dave Ashurst - 10/3/10 at 07:40 PM

fs1es - now they were REAL prestige machines

Still are I bet.

(even if they went beyond the threshold of hearing)

deanwelch - 10/3/10 at 07:55 PM

so many just blown to bits trying to go a bit faster ............lol

whitestu - 10/3/10 at 08:23 PM

quote:

we all did it by mixing it in a petrol can 25+ years ago in our fs1es

FS1Es were for losers!! Proper spotty teenagers had Suzuki AP50s with a seperate oil tank!

deanwelch - 10/3/10 at 08:36 PM

go out on an ap50 come home on the bus.............go out on a fs1e maybe end up in casualty...........lol

dave r - 10/3/10 at 08:45 PM

the later fsie also had oil pump

is this the time to admit to owning the custom version?
no photo's exist!

Horizenjob - 10/3/10 at 08:49 PM

Maybe put a bike engine in it?

clairetoo - 10/3/10 at 08:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
quote:

we all did it by mixing it in a petrol can 25+ years ago in our fs1es

FS1Es were for losers!! Proper spotty teenagers had Suzuki AP50s with a seperate oil tank!

And some of the not so spotty ones..........

steve m - 10/3/10 at 09:02 PM

".... what happened to the GT250? "

Err it caught fire !!!!!!!!!!

Dave Ashurst - 10/3/10 at 09:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
".... what happened to the GT250? "

Err it caught fire !!!!!!!!!!

Steve,
mate

(maybe I'll just whip the pump off after all and have a go at fixing it )

steve m - 10/3/10 at 09:24 PM

was about a year after, after another mod of mine to get more fuel into the carbs involving a fuel tap each side of the tank, so one to each carb

it is quite scary doing 80+ with a fire just below your goolies !!!

Sprytny - 10/3/10 at 09:55 PM

You should be able to download a service manual online which will tell you if it can be serviced/ repaired and how to do this. It seems as simple as a gasket to me!

Dave Ashurst - 11/3/10 at 06:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sprytny
You should be able to download a service manual online which will tell you if it can be serviced/ repaired and how to do this. It seems as simple as a gasket to me!

Yes, I guess I'm going to have to read a manual in the end !

Thanks for all the replies and u2u's everyone. Very entertaining

best
D

whitestu - 11/3/10 at 08:19 AM

quote:

go out on an ap50 come home on the bus

I have to admit there is some truth in that. I had discount at the local bike shop for buying rebores in bulk!