Board logo

Gearbox question
kendo - 25/10/10 at 06:24 PM

I am running a crossflow on a 4 speed box and was wondering how the 5 speed differs.

1. Is it longer?

2. Would my existing propshaft fit?

3. Is the rear mount in roughly the same place?

These probably seem like rather basic questions but I'm just pondering whether it is worth contemplating the swap.

Opinions and answers please.

Cheers

rusty nuts - 25/10/10 at 06:52 PM

Type 9 is longer, uses a different clutch and prop . Suspect but don't know, that the rear mount is in a different position as is possibly the gear lever . First gear is very low unless you invest in something like a B.G.H Geartec box with modified ratio's

snapper - 25/10/10 at 07:17 PM

Gearbox mount is further back, depending on the box the spline count could be 20 or23 and the shaft diameter different.
Burton catalogue has all the relevant info that you need

paul@firstmotion - 30/10/10 at 01:46 PM

Hi

As Snapper quite rightly states dependent on which box you have fitted will depend on how much work is involved best thing to do is identify your existing box try this link http://www.zetecinside.com/xr2/gearbox.shtml

Type 2 and 3 boxes have the 20 splines
Type 9 Type E and MT75 boxes have 23 splines

With Regard to Ratio Changes we also offer boxes with long 1st gear ratio's close ratio boxes uprated heavy duty boxes e.t.c

Hope this is of help if you would like more information just email me paul@firstmotion.co.uk

www.firstmotion.co.uk