Board logo

The little bit that goes in a right angle drive into a Ford T9
dhutch - 25/3/11 at 08:52 PM

I have a right angle drive coming of the gearbox before the cable, held to the gearbox with a circlip, cable screws onto it, upto the gauge. Problem is the hole lot hit the chassis when i went sideways over the curbs at snetterton, bend the circlip and let it all fall off.

I now learn there should be a small (inch long, maybe?) square section bar like at the end of a speedo cable that goes between the gearbox and the vdo angle drive. This is clearly lost and a need a new one, any thoughts, or do i just ring burton power? I also need a new circlip.

Daniel

austin man - 25/3/11 at 09:01 PM

would the end of a speedo cable if cut down do the job ? these are square

dhutch - 25/3/11 at 09:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by austin man
would the end of a speedo cable if cut down do the job ? these are square

Quite possibly, although i dont know how long it would need to be to overlap with both? As i dont have a spare/old cable it also seams a waste to bin the whole of the rest of a new cable! But maybe thats the cheapest and best way?

old_timbo - 25/3/11 at 09:46 PM

I wrecked one when my speedo cable seized. Its a length of square section inner cable 55mm long. Speedy cables sent me a couple of replacements FOC, but even if they charged I doubt they would be very expensive.

Tim

Gary 7 - 25/3/11 at 09:59 PM

Same thing happened on mine i used a short length of allen key, filed two edges off to form a square works perfect .

daniel mason - 25/3/11 at 10:06 PM

now thats the locost way! ^^^^

dhutch - 25/3/11 at 10:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by old_timbo
I wrecked one when my speedo cable seized. Its a length of square section inner cable 55mm long. Speedy cables sent me a couple of replacements FOC, but even if they charged I doubt they would be very expensive.

Tim
This sounds good to me!

dhutch - 31/3/11 at 11:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by old_timbo

Tim

Just spoke to them, apprently they make them as one offs, none of the shelf.

Minimum order £10, plus vat and delivery. (so thats £15 gone then)

He also said the would have to guess the lenght (depends a little apprently) and that you could cut them down (i suggested he 'made it long enough' and i sorted if from there) heyho

Anyway for some reason I said yes, they are going to make one and send it with a pair of suitably sized circlips.
Im going to measure its lenght/af and set about making my own for spares. But in the mean time i have no time and its a lot cheaper and better than any more points.

Daniel

[Edited on 31/3/2011 by dhutch]