Board logo

It's starting!!!
Poorscousertommy - 25/11/11 at 11:41 AM

So After months of research and lurking on here, im off to MK tomorrow to place my order!!

Now, before I commit to a 2.0 duratec install, need some advice:

Which gearbox!! Type 9 or MT 75??

Which is the better box (change, ability to handle power, noise etc), and which is the easiest (and cheapest) to mate to a duratec??

Cheers

Mark

graememk - 25/11/11 at 11:48 AM

type 9

mcerd1 - 25/11/11 at 12:01 PM

you can get off the shelf bellhousings for the type 9 to fit loads of different engines (inc, Duratec) and there are loads of upgraded gearsets to pick from too

the MT75 is a little stronger as standard, but doesn't have a removable bellhousing or give you as many options on the gearsets

MkIndy7 - 25/11/11 at 12:40 PM

2007 onwards MX5 box seen as they were designed for that engine and bolt straight up!.
(only possible problem is they canter the engine over meaning the off the shelf shallow sumps might not be totally suitable)

coozer - 25/11/11 at 12:57 PM

Mazda box bolts straight up.

I would like to suggest a Toyota W58....

big-vee-twin - 25/11/11 at 02:58 PM

I'm using a type 9 most people seem to use this, aparently ok upto about 200hp with standard Duratec at 150 ish.

You can get a Mazda MX5 Engine and Box - Same Engine as the Ford Duratec was designed by Mazda/Ford.

Johneturbo - 25/11/11 at 03:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer

That THING looks like it weighs more than my car

wilkingj - 25/11/11 at 04:22 PM

Talk to Rusty Nuts about type 9 boxes and the BHG(??) ratio kit. he recons well worth the investment, as they make the box more useable. Namely first gear is way to short or long for a kit car.

Not 100% sure of the exact details, but its deffo a T9 that he modified.

Me?? I'm a LT77 man with a V8 on the front of it, and my first gear is all wheelspin!
Mel knows his stuff on the T9 mods.

Hope this is of some use.

Cheers

jeffw - 26/11/11 at 06:46 AM

BGH not BHG

BGH Geartech

geordielad - 26/11/11 at 08:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

That THING looks like it weighs more than my car

will this bolt to a zetec?