Board logo

Cleaning inside header tank
davidimurray - 22/1/12 at 04:45 PM

I bought a rover 25 header tank and want to clean it up before fitting it into the car. I have dumped it in a vat of hot water and fairy liquid and that's cleaned the outside up. Sticking a tooth brush in a gently touch on the dirt inside takes it off easily but obviously I cannot reach all around the inside. Has anyone got any suggestions as to how I can clean the inside of the tank?

Autosri - 22/1/12 at 04:49 PM

Hot water and some bleach and a really good shake normaly works

Jon Ison - 22/1/12 at 04:53 PM

swimbo out of house ? Dishwasher

Andybarbet - 22/1/12 at 04:58 PM

I did hoa tiny bit of bleach diluted well with water, a handfull of fish tank gravel, left it soaking & gave it the odd shake around, a mate of mine used small M5 nuts because he had no gravel, finished off with some hot soapy water.

Considering how it stated, mine came out pretty clean, still a bit yellowish but you can see fluid in it so im happy.
Rescued attachment Expansion tank with bracket small.JPG
Rescued attachment Expansion tank with bracket small.JPG

Made an ali bracket for it too.
Rescued attachment Expansion Bracket small.JPG
Rescued attachment Expansion Bracket small.JPG

acb2713 - 22/1/12 at 05:01 PM

Steep in a bucket containing a dish washer liquid and water solution, for a few hours, to loosen all the dirt. Then, with some of this solution still in the tank, add some course grit or sand, and shake vigorously. The grit will get into all the parts you cannot reach and scrub them clean. I did my Mk2 Fiesta tank this way and it worked a treat. For obvious reasons, make sure it is rinsed well and all grit has been washed away.

balidey - 22/1/12 at 05:22 PM

I was told to put a sink plug chain in and use that you shake around. Never tried it though

davidimurray - 22/1/12 at 05:23 PM

Thanks everyone

Dishwasher - SWMBO is the dishwasher

Interestingly she suggested some sand/gravel/rice and soap pwoder so SWMBO really does know best

rdodger - 22/1/12 at 06:29 PM

Biological washing powder/liquid works well.

designer - 22/1/12 at 06:40 PM

Bruclenz, stuff used to clean home brewing vats.

perksy - 22/1/12 at 06:46 PM

Washing powder solution and some Aquarium gravel or Rice

iank - 22/1/12 at 08:34 PM

Magic balls (from Lakeland) do the job well.
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/8949/Magic-Balls;jsessionid=D4F4C5F53CF2300EE061C085BE9E12C2.app2

Mr C - 22/1/12 at 08:59 PM

Try kettle descaler and boiling water

ashg - 22/1/12 at 09:06 PM

i used mr muscle oven cleaner and gravel off the drive to clean out mine.

se7ensport - 23/1/12 at 12:36 AM

I tried dishwaser tablets, they made a pretty good start, but the best trick I found was to half fill with water and put in the freezer. After 2-3 hours it'll be mostly frozen, just give it a good shake, where the water has been in contact with the dirt it lifts and the ice being shaken about removes the rest without damaging the plastic.