Board logo

Bike carb flutter on ZETEC
cal - 2/3/12 at 03:12 PM

Hi guys. Well just about finished with the ZETEC install just had to tidy up some items. I have a 2.0 Lt ZETEC running CVK zx7 carbs. 1.4 mains facet red top with filter king running 3psi. havent run bike carbs before so may be being over cautious here. The carbs seem to flutter when on the throttle and i can see excess fueling coming out of the carbs (mist not rain), and vent in the bonnet. The car pulls away cleanly and revs well all the way to 7k . i have uploaded a video to show what i mean. The fluttering only seems to get louder as i accelerate. Am i being over cautious? shes booked in the rolling road on tuesday but just so i know and arent killing my engine. Thanks.

Oh ignition is MJ if that changes the price of fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNUQiTW9WlI&feature=youtu.be

cal - 2/3/12 at 03:20 PM

nearly finished article

Nickp - 2/3/12 at 04:46 PM

Does sound 'fluffy' when revved. Maybe just a tad rich, nowt a good session on the rollers shouldn't sort out

r1_pete - 2/3/12 at 05:17 PM

Have you plugged the air correction jets? the middle hole in the air filter facing end of the carb, it often needs plugging to sharpen the response up.

1/8 welding rod does the job IIRC, leave it long so you can pull it out if it makes no improvement.

cal - 2/3/12 at 06:27 PM

Cheers guys just wanted to make sure there was nothing hugely wrong. Air correction jets haven't been blocked so might give that a try. Surprised you think it's a tad rich on 1.4 jets found another small issue today so have to solve that before the next run.

Cheers again

deltron63 - 2/3/12 at 07:05 PM

Get a bike fuel pump on it. It cured my fuel problems

macc man - 2/3/12 at 08:04 PM

Try lowering the pump pressure. 3 psi might be too high for bike carbs.