Board logo

Bye bye MNR. Hello MX5....!
BigLee - 4/8/12 at 04:55 PM

Well, my MNR was collected by its grateful new owner this morning. A strange mix of emotion waving it off as it has been such a large part of my life for the last 2 years. One of relief as its one of the most stressful and challenging things I have ever achieved, and one of sadness, for pretty much the same reason! Thankfully I didn't lose too much on all I had spent, but a realistic price given the current market.

So I have now joined the hair stylists and got myself a mark 1 MX5. An auto in silver! (obviously if my wife asks, I just stumbled upon this amazing deal at lunch-time today, rather than buying the car a couple of months ago and keeping it at a mates garage!) The car is mint though, with just a little outer sill rot on the rear arches. Purchases for new project so far include...

MX5 1.6 Auto in Silver - with a buggered crank pulley.
Gaz gold pro shocks
Mazda 15" alloys in Matt black with T1R's
2x bucket seats from Motordrive. 1x Normal size, 1x FB size
4000cc Lexus V8 and Auto box (including ECU and ancillaries)

The idea being a cheap and reliable way to get 260bhp as a starting point, but anyone who knows anything about the 1UZ-FE engine knows what it is capable of!
I'll get some pics up on a separate thread once the project starts to get interesting.

Cheers all

Lee

daniel mason - 4/8/12 at 05:11 PM

when my mnr went to rolling road there was a drift car there with the 4.0 v8 lexus motor. was surprisingly compact and smooth as anything.
power wise it wasnt overly impressive (well under 300bhp if i remember) but the torque curve was awesome from way down in rev range all ther way through. sounded sweet!

pewe - 4/8/12 at 07:49 PM

OK so it came with the big engine but I'd be inclined to flog that and put a supercharger and/or turbo on it.
Ask theconrodkid on here how he fixed his crank pulley. IIRC involved a small amount of plastic metal and not a lot of cost!
The 1.6 engines seem capable of handling big power without too many downsides.

BTW 1) A slippy diff makes a lot of difference.
2) I've a Mini s/charger sitting doing nothing if you decide to go down that route.

Enjoy - I'll guarantee you'll have as big a smile on your face as you did with the MNR - well almost.
Cheers, Pewe10

BigLee - 4/8/12 at 08:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pewe
OK so it came with the big engine but I'd be inclined to flog that and put a supercharger and/or turbo on it.
Ask theconrodkid on here how he fixed his crank pulley. IIRC involved a small amount of plastic metal and not a lot of cost!
The 1.6 engines seem capable of handling big power without too many downsides.

BTW 1) A slippy diff makes a lot of difference.
2) I've a Mini s/charger sitting doing nothing if you decide to go down that route.

Enjoy - I'll guarantee you'll have as big a smile on your face as you did with the MNR - well almost.
Cheers, Pewe10

Cheers Pewe.
I've already pulled the engine and stripped a lot from under the bonnet. My mate has a turbo'd Mk1, and a supercharged (using M45) mk1 both pushing around 200bhp, so it's a lot about going down a different route to him. Having turbo'd the MNR I fancy a bit of NA action this time. Apart from the shocks, it's all been very cheap so far. As you say, it'll bring smiles, but I would argue more than the MNR, as it'll be something I can jump in for a quick blast whenever, regardless of weather. Just need to get the engine in.......
You've not got a Torsen diff gathering dust have you......?

Lee

turboben - 4/8/12 at 08:20 PM

Interesting! I'm considering ditching my dutton for an mx5. I want something I can use more, park without worrying about it and not get wet when it rains. I'd be interested to see how the v8 conversion goes if you go that way.
Ben

welderman - 4/8/12 at 08:21 PM

Nice one mrs

morcus - 4/8/12 at 11:02 PM

Don't be so sure about not getting wet, I always seem to get wet when I go out in mine, even when it doesn't leak I get soaked trying to get out with the roof up.

I love the idea of a V8 MX5, and can't wait for the news on this one.

aka_shortie - 5/8/12 at 10:51 AM

We need pictures and a build thread lol

clairetoo - 5/8/12 at 11:03 AM

I don't think gruesome Mx5 diff will last very long with a V8 - even a torsen one . All the V8 swops I've seen use something a lot stronger , with a much higher ratio . Check out the engine conversion section on Mata.net - loads oh info on there .
And I think you may be needing a tubular subframe......

richardh - 5/8/12 at 11:44 AM

Just picked up a euros roadster mark1 myself yesterday. Seems to go alright round the field so far.
Not sure whether to sell it or to Exocet it?

BigLee - 5/8/12 at 12:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
I don't think gruesome Mx5 diff will last very long with a V8 - even a torsen one . All the V8 swops I've seen use something a lot stronger , with a much higher ratio . Check out the engine conversion section on Mata.net - loads oh info on there .
And I think you may be needing a tubular subframe......

Thanks Claire. I would love a tubular subframe, but unlike the MNR I am forcing myself to make do with what I have, rather than simply buying the best solution available. Seen a couple of builds using this engine, so I know it can be done on the original subframe (for which I have access to a couple of spares should I stuff it up!) I am lucky to have the rare rear bowl sump on the engine I have. I reckon it'll drop straight in! I know the diff will be a challenge. The Torsen one brings it to the same (ish) ratio as the Lexus engine is used to. My thinking is the mechanical stresses will be kept to a minimum with the auto box and standard MX5 195 section tyres. Might get a bit sideways before the diff explodes. You are right about Miata.net. There is loads of info about. And MX5Nutz - there is a build diary on there of exactly this setup. Not to mention you're swop on here - excellent reading!

pewe - 6/8/12 at 09:05 AM

I can understand the desire to have a V8 as it's been on my wish-list for donkeys...
Nope don't have a Torsen lying around but they do come up.
Agree with Clairetoo about the ratio though as mine pulls 3750 at 70 mph i.e. c.19mph/thousand revs in top so a bit on the low side - does accelerate like sh*t off a shovel though.
Evidently 6 speed boxes don't improve it that much so prob. better sticking with the current one (cheap as chips to replace if you do blow it up).
You might want to ask Claire about sub-frames - IIRC clever engineer that she is she fabricated her own.
I'm currently holding onto both the F27 and the Eunos (at least until the tax/insurance runs out on one) as I find driving each one huge fun but in different ways.
Keep us posted.
Cheers, Pewe10.

Steve Hignett - 6/8/12 at 07:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BigLee

Bye bye MNR. Hello MX5....!

I'll get some pics up on a separate thread once the project starts to get interesting.

Cheers all

Lee

Replacing with the MX5 is a great move Lee...

Sticking a decent lump in it, is even better obviously, but they are great cars to put a smile on the face of most drivers..
Granted they're not fast (at all!) as standard, but I used to drive one to my last place of work (9 or 10 miles of twisty country lanes the whole way) and did most of the whole jourdey in 4th or 5th and was quicker than my prev car which was a 180bhp Cupra...

Venari - 6/9/12 at 11:28 PM

You want to join the Nutzers and read this thread:

http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17061

Except, uh, you already knew that. So... progress?

[Edited on 6/9/12 by Venari]

woodster - 7/9/12 at 05:04 PM

Great project and lots of luck with it ......... Some guy on YouTube has put a corvette engine in one