Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: got bored,made a diffuser
roadrunner

posted on 12/4/09 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have a soft boot cover and to be honest its the last damn thing i look at when i am driving, but as far as the diffuser , i think it looks great and should work by smoothing the air flow out the back, and as said before any little thing helps, i would'nt mind one.
coozer

posted on 12/4/09 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Right then, thats enough, I'm going out to make one. Two reasons now, looks cool and keeps the diff and shafts out of the air and clean

Ta,Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Hellfire

posted on 12/4/09 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Can you do some back to back testing in a wind tunnel Steve and let us know the drag co-efficients before and after fitting the diffuser?

Phil

locoR1

posted on 12/4/09 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Made mine purely for the same reasons a Alan 1, i think it looks nice 2, i had a sheet of carbon look abs left over from trimming the car 3, gave me something to do on a wet weekend last winter. really don't give a monkeys if it dose anything apart from look nice

More importantly Moto Gp on soon

Rear diffuser
Rear diffuser

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

coozer

posted on 12/4/09 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Get in the garage, MotoGP cancelled...

Wind tunnel testing?? Your kidding, 8K along the local B roads is my kinda testing

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 12/4/09 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote

as been said - when i decided to make my diffuser there were a few benefits for very little downsides

for -

air travelling under the car in a narrow space speeds up (venturi effect - narrowing of a space the same air mass moves through at the same speed makes the air speed up - hence jet engines - carburettor venturi's) - so if the air is travelling faster it creates lower pressure under the car as it is moving faster than the air above the car - the air pressure above the car then pushes more down on the top of the car..

it also helps stop the rear boot box area being a 'parachute' effect - air under the car gets snagged on the rear end

the air on a car without a diffuser creates votices which create drag on the vertical boot box area - by forcing the air further away from the back of the boot box area (diffuser sticks out from the back on mine by about 8" or so) it helps to stop the vortice drag

it also has the benefit of stopping the crud build up on the suspension etc

the diffuser has to be level with the bottom of the car really to work - so its keeping the narrow floor / road gap but just extending it.

when you look at a seven type car there really isnt that much difference between a single seater car - the biggest being the open cockpit acting like a parachute - the front wings cause a lot of drag - headlights.. roll bars are not good either..

lol the whole car then...

the only real downside is the ground clearance - it needs to be low to work right - but going low can compromise speed bump clearance.. depends on your individual car suspension travel

coozer

posted on 12/4/09 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Terry, yours looks very purposeful indeed, however I will make mine a bit more discrete.

Just one more question.. do you need to cover the WHOLE of the rear boot place? including the area where the wishbones are??

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

posted on 12/4/09 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
you cant cover it all really - with the bones going droop on 'errrr airborne' sections they may catch.. i just put some small bends in the ally to miss. the diffuser goes the width of the floor

better pics

[Edited on 12/4/09 by :{THC}:YosamiteSam]

[Edited on 12/4/09 by :{THC}:YosamiteSam]

matt.c

posted on 13/4/09 at 04:58 AM Reply With Quote
Mmmm they look good.

mr henderson

posted on 13/4/09 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
There are various ways of conducting the air around a car, and some of them are better than others, and produce different results.

Never-the-less, if a car is pushed downwards that push has to come from somewhere, and there can only be one source of that push, the engine Unless, of course, the wind happens to be blowing from a convenient direction

John

skippad

posted on 13/4/09 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
made one for mine... decided not to fit after reading other threads.
Main thing bothering me is, what about the air that goes thru radiator circulates around engine then squeezed down tunnel?
If you practically cover boot floor with diffuser how doe s this "dirty air" escape?
Might look nice, but i want to go faster not slower!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 13/4/09 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skippad
Main thing bothering me is, what about the air that goes thru radiator circulates around engine then squeezed down tunnel?
If you practically cover boot floor with diffuser how doe s this "dirty air" escape?

because the boot floor isnt covered over completely - there are gaping holes where the suspension arms attach

bassett

posted on 13/4/09 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone got some pics of the part before fitting? Saw this today at Detling and thought it looked very smart

Damn i should really worry about finishing the car and getting it tested before i start with mods

[Edited on 13/4/09 by bassett]

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

skippad

posted on 13/4/09 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by :{THC}:YosamiteSam
quote:
Originally posted by skippad

because the boot floor isnt covered over completely - there are gaping holes where the suspension arms attach

Yes very clever, but there's still a lot space between diff and petrol tank to act as a parachute.

if your interested there's a Cleveland Kit Car Club meeting at Pathfinders, Maltby tonite starts about 8.00pm...Westfield, MK, MNR, Caterham club members usually attend.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 13/4/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the invite - didnt see the thread till now! just come out of garden - workshop all day and goosed.. cars broken too.. need a gear selector spring.. will sort one out tomorrow

procomp

posted on 14/4/09 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Just a quick word of warning. By covering up the diff etc. You do run the risk of getting the oil rather hot. On the Kit race cars we can run the diffusers for the short 15-30 minute races. But when testing in 1hr sessions the diff oil gets way to hot. Just be wary when on those long road trips or when blatting for a length of time.

Cheers Matt

PAUL FISHER

posted on 14/4/09 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
A vent in the rear panel would be a good way of releasing traped air,when using a diffuser,as Caterham did with there RST V8 Rescued attachment 94E76095E5AC217AC253645F27E2B.jpg
Rescued attachment 94E76095E5AC217AC253645F27E2B.jpg

Snap-off

posted on 14/4/09 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Another pic of the Caterham:

Description
Description

nstrug

posted on 15/4/09 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iiyama
Actually diffusers add down force without producing much drag. Wings create drag for obvious reasons, this being that there is basically a big plate at an angle to the airflow. Because it is a wing it has a high pressure area above it and a low pressure area below it creating the downforce. Also because of this the high pressure trys to get into the low pressure area and creates a vortice, (seen in Malaysia due to the high humidity). This is also drag as its dirty air. (why all passenger aircraft have the vertical winglets on the end of the wings, reduces the drag so they use less fuel).

A diffuser is used by making the entire bottom of the car flat, (making the air move faster under this area due to being compressed), when it reaches the diffuser which turns upward the air decelerates creating low pressure which is the downforce. All the vertical winglets stop the air from seperating and all this creates very little in the way of drag. Cant get something for nothing!!!

^^^^^
All spot on...
Diffusers (and ground effects in general) increase downforce without significant drag.

Nick

mr henderson

posted on 15/4/09 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nstrug
quote:
Originally posted by iiyama
Actually diffusers add down force without producing much drag. Wings create drag for obvious reasons, this being that there is basically a big plate at an angle to the airflow. Because it is a wing it has a high pressure area above it and a low pressure area below it creating the downforce. Also because of this the high pressure trys to get into the low pressure area and creates a vortice, (seen in Malaysia due to the high humidity). This is also drag as its dirty air. (why all passenger aircraft have the vertical winglets on the end of the wings, reduces the drag so they use less fuel).

A diffuser is used by making the entire bottom of the car flat, (making the air move faster under this area due to being compressed), when it reaches the diffuser which turns upward the air decelerates creating low pressure which is the downforce. All the vertical winglets stop the air from seperating and all this creates very little in the way of drag. Cant get something for nothing!!!

^^^^^
All spot on...
Diffusers (and ground effects in general) increase downforce without significant drag.

Nick

All depends on what you mean by significant. IMHO, any drag is significant on a se7en.

John

grusks2

posted on 15/4/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoR1
Made mine purely for the same reasons a Alan 1, i think it looks nice 2, i had a sheet of carbon look abs left over from trimming the car 3, gave me something to do on a wet weekend last winter. really don't give a monkeys if it dose anything apart from look nice

More importantly Moto Gp on soon

Rear diffuser
Rear diffuser

How did you bend the ABS sheet at the edges to a perfect form

spence

http://mac1worxbuild.wordpress.com/

forgot my old password so another username doh

locoR1

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
To bend it use a heat gun to warm it up sounds easy but like most things its not

The most important thing is start of practising on small off cuts i did a lot of 90deg bends when trimming the car radius's are harder you only want to heat the bend not the surrounding abs otherwise it ripples.

To do the diffuser i made a former out of wood to bend it over clamping wood ether side to protect the sheet and just warmed and folded the bend.

Description
Description

grusks2

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoR1
To bend it use a heat gun to warm it up sounds easy but like most things its not

The most important thing is start of practising on small off cuts i did a lot of 90deg bends when trimming the car radius's are harder you only want to heat the bend not the surrounding abs otherwise it ripples.

To do the diffuser i made a former out of wood to bend it over clamping wood ether side to protect the sheet and just warmed and folded the bend.

Nice one cheers for that, what size thickness sheet is out of.

locoR1

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Its the thinner of the two sizes usually available its about 3mm if i remember right!

Description
Description

grusks2

posted on 20/4/09 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
can you recomend anywhere to get some on line, gooled ABS sheets and for a sheet 1800mm wide 1000mm long, enough for the side drops and centre flaps etc £80 for 3mm in carbon

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.