Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can of worms.
Andy D

posted on 24/4/09 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Off the mark, I'd agree the lighter weight and sequential box of a BEC is superior.

...But, the real world is not about 0 to 60 is it.

Here's a vid from Monday's trackday at Teesside kart track. The drag out of the down hill corner on the back straight is from about 30mph up to just over 100mph. My car is probably near 600k, 170bhp. The Lotus is very light around 400k with fireblade power, 125 bhp? There's not much in it is there.

BEC vs BEC

coozer

posted on 24/4/09 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
And thats both of them passing a ZX12 Bec!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

chrisg

posted on 24/4/09 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
The Pinto would win because the BEC girls would still be doing their make-up.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

JoelP

posted on 24/4/09 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
Off the mark, I'd agree the lighter weight and sequential box of a BEC is superior.

Here's a vid from Monday's trackday at Teesside kart track. The drag out of the down hill corner on the back straight is from about 30mph up to just over 100mph. My car is probably near 600k, 170bhp. The Lotus is very light around 400k with fireblade power, 125 bhp? There's not much in it is there.

BEC vs BEC

how much do you have to spend on a pinto to get 170bhp out of it?

Andy D

posted on 24/4/09 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:

BEC vs BEC

how much do you have to spend on a pinto to get 170bhp out of it?

Well, I got lucky on ebay with an unused Burton stage 2 head, plus 2.1 bottom end, totalled about a grand.

matt.c

posted on 24/4/09 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
R1
Pinto
zx9r
up too 1/8 mile=220 ft

Nooooo!!! Cant let that bu**er win!

I would never hear the end of it!

Hmm how long would a zx9 last with a big bottle of NOS? Woohoo we are off, what was that? BANG! Bu**er!

matt.c

posted on 24/4/09 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
You two lads coming to stoneleigh then? Come onnnnnnnnn you know you both want to!

We will be there but we wont have to wear ear plugs to get there.

Steve Hignett

posted on 24/4/09 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Without buttering your crumpet Andy, or indeed hinting that your car isn't fast, but: You aren't exactly known as the guy who CAN'T paddle his boat round a race track!!!

quote:

BEC vs BEC

Andy D

posted on 25/4/09 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Without buttering your crumpet Andy, or indeed hinting that your car isn't fast, but: You aren't exactly known as the guy who CAN'T paddle his boat round a race track!!!

quote:

BEC vs BEC

The point I was trying to make, was not about driving as such.. it was comparing the acceleration of the two cars in a straight line down the straight. Take away the 0 bit of 0 to 60, and BECs dont have such an advantage.

Buttered crumpet....daaaaww..

Steve Hignett

posted on 25/4/09 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
I agree, but i think the driving/driver does come into it in a big way! Hence my first reply to Matt's OP.

Having said that, just add to your point, I think that you have to have an unusually light BEC for the differences that you are on about to show.

For eg - 0 to 60 doesn't apply on a trackday as there isn't a standing start. It's only really 40/70 to 110 that matters as that's the speed you're exiting the corners. A lighter BEC should be able to corner at a higher speed but that depends on drivers skill and balls, and more (maybe?) importantly, car setup. I think until you get in to racing these cars then a standard chassis'ed Westy is going to be less of a handful than your average locost (MK, MAC1, MNR etc) meaning that the BEC advantage is lessoned and lessoned.

Still wouldn't have anything else personally, but do fully appreciate that they aren't the leagues apart that some make out...

(Unless you'r glueing things in your exhaust that whizz round really quick )

ATB
Steve

ps - guess what I'm eating right now!!!

quote:
The point I was trying to make, was not about driving as such.. it was comparing the acceleration of the two cars in a straight line down the straight. Take away the 0 bit of 0 to 60, and BECs dont have such an advantage.

Buttered crumpet....daaaaww..

Steve Hignett

posted on 25/4/09 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Lovin this by the way, Andy/Peter!

PINTO ENGINE NOISE ON TRACK WITH NO OVERLAYED MUSIC

[Edited on 25/4/09 by Steve Hignett]

omega 24 v6

posted on 25/4/09 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
What a load of pish this thread is

It doesn't matter which car is fastest cause when you get to the pub to discuss it the cec's will all have reversed into their parking spaces and it's at this point the race will be won by a cec.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.