MikeRJ

posted on 1/12/09 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gazeddy
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
why it is called Windows 7 is a mystery Microsoft can't count

im sure its the 7th generation ie windows nt 95 98 me xp vista and 7

It's the 7th major version of Microsofts protected operating system. The first two were OS/2 variants, then Win NT3, Win NT4, Win2K(NT5.1), Win XP (NT5.2), Vista (NT6), Windows 7 (NT7)

Windows 95,98 and ME (shudder) are all non-protected systems.

[Edited on 1/12/09 by MikeRJ]

paul the 6th

posted on 1/12/09 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
come on guys! Take a chance and go for it:

mac os x

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MikeRJ

posted on 1/12/09 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul the 6th
come on guys! Take a chance and go for it:

It's certainly a very nice operating system, Apple really took a massive step forward over their previous generation of operating systems.

Sadly, for me at least, there are just too many applications not available to run natively that I use everyday. Parallels can run a Windows VM, but there's really no point in running an OS I can use in a VM running on an OS I can't.

Then you have the issue that the only hardware you can legally run OSX on is proprietary and extremely expensive and/or lower spec compared to PCs.

jeffw

posted on 1/12/09 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
However I would not jump ship to Windows 7 for at least 6 months (why it is called Windows 7 is a mystery Microsoft can't count) also be aware you may run into drivers issues, so best check with the Fujitsu Siemens support website before installing.

Right... a little history lesson

There where, effectively, two seperate windows products. One base on Windows 3 (Windows 3, Windows 3.1 & Windows for Workgroups...then into Windows 95, 98 & ME) and the other is Windows NT based.

Windows NT lineage is as follows

Windows NT 3.1
Windows NT 3.5
Windows NT 4.0
Windows 2000 (Nt 5.0 under the hood)
Windows XP (NT 5.5)
Windows Vista (NT 6.0)
Windows 7 (NT 7.0)

The primary difference between the two threads is that the Windows 3.1 - ME thread used MS-DOS as its core OS whereas Windows NT is a standalone OS.

And yes I've been doing IT 1985 ....MS-DOS and Windows 286/386, CP/M & Gem. Apple II etc etc.

flak monkey

posted on 1/12/09 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
FWIW I run vista ultimate 64 bit and xp pro in dual boot on my home pc and use vista for everything except Solidworks and my web editor which will only run under XP.

I get on really well with Vista and it runs quickly, rarley (if ever) crashes and needs a hard reset. Then again my PC is no slouch, maybe this makes the difference. Boot to log in screen is about 30secs, and to windows after logging in with all startup stuff loaded and being online is another 10secs or so.

Not tempted to upgrade to 7 just yet though as I havent had vista for long and its another expense which isnt needed, vista does everything I need at the moment.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

jeffw

posted on 1/12/09 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Vista on the right hardware is fine, Windows 7 on the same tin will be faster. Do not upgrade a XP machine to Vista or Windows 7 without 2-4Gb RAM and a decent Dual Core processor.

MautoK

posted on 1/12/09 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I use Ubuntu/Firefox which all seems pretty reliable.
Windows lost me after 3.11 was superseded!
First computer I used in earning a living had 4K core memory and ran 77 KHz clock; terminal was a teletype, program and data storage was paper tape. Good ol' days!
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

mcerd1

posted on 1/12/09 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
What about good old Windows 2000 ?

Fozzie

You've got to love 2K, a few more carefuly chosen updates and it would be the best of the lot IMHO

as it is I've got 1 PC running DOS 6.2 / Win95, 1 running 98SE, 1 running 2k, 1 desktop + my laptop running XP and my new desktop running win7x64
...but only 1 moitor

I only dig out the old machines when I can't get something to run, so at the moment the XP machine is running just as much and the win 7 one, but I guess that will change as I get newer programs

I hardly ever get the dos 95 machine out any more - but I still hang on to it, its like an old friend, also its built like a tank - totaly bomb proof

I'm running AVG 9 free on the win 7 x64 machine at the moment and its not slowed it at all (but then its a fairly quick machine: LGA1366 i7 920 + 6Gb RAM)

-

Fozzie

posted on 1/12/09 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
I still have Windows 2000 on one of my desktops......I love it.......it's just so stable and good!

A bit like the comfy favourite jumper that just cannot be binned..... ever......

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

mcerd1

posted on 1/12/09 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
I had 2K on my old work PC for years and loved it, most stable machine I ever had at work, but the new server couldn't handle it so I had to a new machine with XP

quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
A bit like the comfy favourite jumper that just cannot be binned..... ever......
Fozzie
just like my 486 DX2 66Mhz, its nearly 16 years old and just won't die

-

Hellfire

posted on 2/12/09 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
I've recently upgraded to Windows 7 x64 on my Quad Core, 8GbRAM 1GBVRAM - not that it matters but...

I have a home network on which I have
W 7 x64
W XP home (1 laptop)
W XP pro x 2 (2 Laptops)
W Vista (1 Laptop)
PS3
Wii

Before I had W7 the Vista machine though reasonably stable would not fully File Share or Printer Share with XP.

Partitioned and dual booted XP pro and Windows 7 x64

Windows 7 is stable, it boots up within 15 seconds, looks sweet, shuts down quickly, file shares, printer shares, easy to navigate. After all the crap that MS have turned out in the past this is a revelation... since its installation I've not found much wrong with it!

I cloned my windows 7 partition, deleted old XP reformatted drive and re-installed from fresh (thanks Acronis ) and it runs like a dream!

Apples are good - but not that good. Tried Linux in a variety of flavours but the problem is the same as with Apple Machines - limited software that is not industry standard. In otherwords 'ok for the ones that choose to be different because they can be'...

ATEOTD - MS know they are losing ground to Apple (due to various issues) so they have responded with Windows 7 - and it IS good....

Steve

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.