<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Awd locost?
MikeRJ

posted on 12/12/09 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twinturbo
Zuki SJ413? What's that got for a box?

The transfer box on them is made from finest quality swiss chocolate People regularly break them with the standard 1.3L engine.

[Edited on 12/12/09 by MikeRJ]

stevio73

posted on 13/12/09 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Whoa, Nice thread. Something that I would love to do with my very very new project. (just got the basic chassis so far and don't really know what to do next)
From what little experience I've had with 4x4, (a couple of XR4x4's and a number of off roaders) The sierra thing would be the way forward in my opinion, however you should remember that the front drive is via a chain within the transfer case. This makes things a little clunky and I have had the fortune (or mis-fortune) to destroy a few of these. The first one lost drive in fourth, the second split the case when the chain let go. Perhaps I'm a brute, perhaps the cars had seen their day, Who knows?
Landrover gear bags and tranny cases weigh more than that of a typical all up weight of a locost so I would discount straight away (unless you want to put balloon tyres and make a monster truck locost)
Frontera gear bags are simelar in weight and typically unreliable, not worth thinking about.
What you really need is a lightweight option without the added low range gubbins that a typical 4x4 has. Something designed for the road in the first place, not farm tracks.
No one has suggested Subaru yet and it's something I know nothing about. I hate that fact that on tick over the flat four sounds like it's misfiring, but surely the gearbox set up is worth looking at and conversion plates being made for more main stream engines. Zetec/duratec/cosworth.??

Maybe this is just the ramblings of a mad man? Maybe I have an idea brewing? Just maybe (if I had the time, money, understanding wife) I can make something.???

alistairolsen

posted on 13/12/09 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
problem with the subaru is its a transaxle with a rear take off, like an audi quattro. The whole engine is ahead of the front axle line.

My Build Thread

Liam

posted on 13/12/09 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hotmalevb
Is there something wrong with not having a center diff? Is it bad to have the power split evenly to the front and rear?

Vince

[Edited on 12/12/09 by hotmalevb]

It's a similar problem to having a locked diff on a 2WD. The front axle generally has to travel more distance than the rear axle, and this is prevented by locking them together, so you get transmission windup.

Off road, the tyres can just slip to compensate, but on the road where there is more grip you'll have problems. Effects can vary depending on grip and torque available. You'll definately get horrendous understeer - worse than on a 2WD with a locked diff. Tyres will scrub and wear quickly and the transmission will have a hard time, or if lots of grip is available the transmission might just give up completely. On a low speed, high steering angle manoeuvre like parking, you might just become immobile giving you no choice but to go back exactly the way you came to unwind the tranny (or pick up a wheel and put it back down)! This is all why you're not supposed to use these 4x4s on the road in 4WD mode.

Nothing inherrently wrong with a 50-50 front-rear torque split, but for a sports car a rear bias gives a more RWD feel with less understeer, so is desirable. Audi, for example, have finally managed to achieve this on their latest version of quattro.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twinturbo

posted on 13/12/09 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The sierra thing would be the way forward in my opinion, however you should remember that the front drive is via a chain within the transfer case. This makes things a little clunky and I have had the fortune (or mis-fortune) to destroy a few of these. The first one lost drive in fourth, the second split the case when the chain let go. Perhaps I'm a brute,

I have had, and know lots of peeps with XR4x4's not many have killed the MT75 box without shuving lots of power through them.

with the low weight of the 7, there will be less strain so they could easily handle more than 300BHP.

TT

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.