Author: Subject: OT, Moving a boiler
adam1985

posted on 18/5/10 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Unvented hot water cylinders need a engineer who is certified towork on them
tegwin

posted on 18/5/10 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Adam.

Its a direct HW system, so no hot water tank to worry about

didnt mean to snap..I just get so frustrated with all these rules and regulations..... I know its for peoples safety etc, its just frustrating...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Hellfire

posted on 18/5/10 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
After reading this thread it makes me smile... I'm between the two on this one. I've just renovated my house. Plumbing, flooring, wiring etc (sounds like I was doing the Car, but no!) I have to agree with Tegwin. The standard of work I came across on ALL counts was deplorable. Old Pipes, old wires, old wood all left in situ to rot and decay causing unknown future problems.

If I do it myself I do it properly, remove all waste etc and make the job not only look proper but do the job to a higher quality and eliminate future trouble.

However, I have to agree with Tatt too - I too am Certified in all sorts, nothing to do with the house work I've been undertaking. BUT the trouble is the following 3 things have an effect on the workman's quality:

1. Ignorance of the Vendor appears directly proportional to the cost of repair/replacement.

2. Just how many jobs can the Fitter fit in over 8 hours. Then allows a few days off?

3. Removing old supplies/waste is not "Fitting" so increases time, therefore cost.

I've just had a fault on my W/Bosch Boiler which stopped it working, no heating no Hot Water for 3 days - got 4 quotes from Corgi Registered Fitters - varied from £300 - £500. I decided to have a look myself following the Wiring Schematics - Now the various guys did not remove the front cover - all said it was a faulty Gas Valve.

Turns out is was a Central Heating Low Water Pressure Switch that was gunked up! Tapped out the gunk, cleaned the bore of residual silt and gave it a rinse - 2 hours work tops....

The way I see it - ALL of these guys were dying to get me to take it up the aris! Fact is - NOT ONE of them knew the job in hand, they never looked! Easy money and they knew it!!!

SCAMSTERS!!!!

Steve

PS - and yes, I would do it again!

franky

posted on 19/5/10 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Just because someone has the relevant paperwork it DOESN'T make them competent in the eyes of the law.

Thats why there has been a few electrical types prosecuted for dangerous work as they had the paperwork but were still deemed not competent.

I did my full central heating system and paid someone £200 to sign it off and give me the correct paperwork. He said he'd do it all day long that way if he could. He checked my work and I gave him some tips on current regs

There's lots of trades that just 'test' other peoples work, 2391 electrical testing springs to mind. also in lots of Gas companies not everyone is on the Gas safe register to keep costs down with only 1 or 2 of the guys checking and signing off other peoples work.

If you know what you're doing just do it, you'll have a long list of people willing to sign it off and check it over for some cash.

The worst that can happen is an internal water feature!

Mike S

posted on 19/5/10 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Been reading this thread with interest.

I have the same situation in on the electrical side. I am profesional Electrical Engineer, completed a four year apprenticeship in electrical engineering at a large industrial site.

I went to college and gained sufficient qualifications to become a member of the Institute of Engineering Technologists. I am registered with the Engineering Council as an Incorporated Engineer. But I don't have a Part P certificate, so I am not supposed to make major alterations to the wiring in my house.

Yet, a kitchen fitter or bathroom fitter (no disrespect to those guys) can get a Part P by doing a short course and away they go.

Whole bloody world has gone mad.

Do you think a court of law would accept that my not insignificant pile of certificates and 30 years profesional experience would make me competant to add circuits in my house.

I'm not sure in this day and age that they would.

Mike

There are more horses' asses in this world than there are horses

owelly

posted on 19/5/10 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I recently read an interesting quote from a judge during a Health and Safety court case:
"You say your 22 years of experience and several certificates say you're competant? I say the two homeless families and a hole in a terrace suggests you are not..."

I'm haqppy to play with MY gas, electric water etc because I'm confident I can. I have all the gear to set up the emissions on the boiler and to check for leaks. I have eyes to spot water leaks and I roll of insulating tape to catch any electric leaks.........

FWIW. I'm certified to work on Gas at 40bar so I'm sure I can handle a few mB.....
I'm safe to play with electric at 4160v and 24MW's of the stuff.
And I'm a certified dive leader so if the water leaks gets too bad......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWalker

posted on 20/5/10 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
FWIW. I'm certified to work on Gas at 40bar so I'm sure I can handle a few mB..... I'm safe to play with electric at 4160v and 24MW's of the stuff.

40bar, pah not even INLET pressure on some of the compressors I've worked on!

Actually I am serious there, I've had 49bar suction/69bar discharge at 1.2 million nominal m^3 per hour - gas turbine powered.

And some dinky little generator sets 11kV 60Hz 3ph 24MW.

I've spent many years designing and testing valving and control systems for such things and I can't be allowed to re-wire my own house either. For god sake I can select the cables and fuses/breakers for safety and discrimination from the 11kV distribution to the 24Vdc in the control panels!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.