Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I am glad this forum...
balidey

posted on 8/2/11 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush
HIFI BS does make me chuckle especially ICE.

Me too. They spend all this money and talk about sound quality, yet they go and stick all these speakers in a car with opposing flat surfaces. Best thing you can do in that situation is cover over all the insides of the windows with egg boxes.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

flak monkey

posted on 8/2/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Well the boss of the WHF forum thinks I am closed minded, yet he was the one who took the link out of my original post!

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

dlatch

posted on 8/2/11 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Image deleted by owner

everyone needs a set of these babies its like have a V8

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rf900rush

posted on 8/2/11 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Here is something for your HiFi science.
Using goldplating
Good for connectors but not for your solder joints.
So you will have a good connector to conector joint, but the wire soldered to it will not be so good.

I know someone whos works in the space industry, and has to remove gold plating when soldering components.
Otherwise it degrades the joint.

I found this LINKY explaining why.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 8/2/11 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
As this will likely get deleted and me banned from the WHF forum (for discussing moderation of the forum no less - we shall not question the dictator!) I'll put my last reply here:

quote:
Andrew Everard

quote:
If you believe passive biamping, bi-wiring, magic stones or placing your gear in a pentagram and lighting candles around it makes a difference, go for it. You wouldnt be alone, and it keeps the hifi companies in business.

I'm not aware of any hifi companies selling chalk or candles. But then neither am I aware of anyone quite as closed-minded as you seem to be. Could you please stop the 'sword of righteousness' act, and insulting other members, and live and let live?

quote:
I dont believe I have insulted anyone. If I have, then I apologise. Things get taken out of context on forums all the time.

Equally I am not closed minded either - quite the opposite. If you were to meet me in person you would no doubt realise that. If someone proves to me empirically that passive biamping or biwiring makes a difference then I will start to believe it. No one has been able to yet so I will stick to saying that it doesn't as much as those people who swear that it does make a difference. All the non-anectodal evidence I can find tells me that it doesnt make a difference, scientific theory also says it cannot.

I have said several times in my posts on this thread, and others on a similar topic, that if you believe passive biamping (or anything else) makes a difference then go for it, its your money and your choice. You have just quoted one of my posts saying exactly that. I was under the impression that a forum is a place to express our views and opinons and back it up with evidence where appropriate. What the reader takes from that is down to them.

I tried to also present some of the evidence as to why I believe that it doesn't make a difference and tried to explain why, I was always told to back up any statement with references (drummed into me when writing scientific reports). So my apologies for the link that had to be removed, I am not sure which part of the 'House Rules' it contravenes however if you would like to clarify? Via PM if you wish, I dont want to upset anyone discussing moderation on a public forum.

I dont want an argument, any more than I want to get banned from the site for something as silly as a link and discussion about biamping.

Anyway. Your money, your choice. Feel free to spend it on whatever you like. And dont let my logical approach sway you towards one or the other. I'll try to keep my replies as neutral as I can from now on....

I'll wave goodbye to my WHF forum membership about now.....

[Edited on 8/2/11 by flak monkey]

Sera

rf900rush

posted on 8/2/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with you on this fourm.

Not only a place to get good help for our car's, but almost any subject can be discussed.
Here seems to have a very wide range of knowledge and skills.

LoMoss

posted on 8/2/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

Anyway, rant over. I am off to listen to some music!

HiFi buffs dont listen to music they listen to the noise.

Moss

flak monkey

posted on 8/2/11 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LoMoss
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

Anyway, rant over. I am off to listen to some music!

HiFi buffs dont listen to music they listen to the noise.

Moss

So thats why I annoy them! I only listen to music I like, if it happens to be a good recording, its just a bonus and it gets turned up even more.

Sera

flak monkey

posted on 9/2/11 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
I was right, that reply I copied above got me banned....

Despite being polite (I think?). Wasnt so much a discussion of moderation, more a polite request that he contact me by PM to explain why my relevant link was removed from my original post.

Sera

scootz

posted on 9/2/11 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I got kicked off the AVForums website! I had a sound-projector for sale and I... dare I whisper it... accepted an offer that came through via U2U!!!

Well, they didn't kick me off straight away... I was only banned for a month for my transgression... it was my subsequent email to the moderator who banned me that saw me kicked-off!

It's Evolution Baby!

Peteff

posted on 9/2/11 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
We could all join and ask for their advice, I might be in the market for a new record player as my old Dansette is getting a bit temperamental

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

scootz

posted on 9/2/11 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Good grief... just read that thread and it's like something out of a Monty Python sketch!

It's Evolution Baby!

flak monkey

posted on 9/2/11 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure what you mean Scott, lol. Unfotunately as they have deleted some of my posts it now make it look like I was acting the tw@t, rather than just presenting my view and evidence to support it. Hence why I copied in my last reply here as I knew it would go!

I am not that bothered about getting banned, I was most annoyed that my link was edited from my original post without any proper explanation. Linking to external sites isnt against their forum rules and my link wasnt offensive.

I couldnt condone joining up and asking for silly advice. That would be irresponsible of me....

Would I be cynical in saying that maybe there are commercial reasons why they didnt want my point of view being perpetrated as fact??

[Edited on 9/2/11 by flak monkey]

Sera

scootz

posted on 9/2/11 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
It was the absolute obtuseness of the moderator and his dictatorial style that made me think of a Monty P sketch...

It's Evolution Baby!

flak monkey

posted on 9/2/11 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
It was the absolute obtuseness of the moderator and his dictatorial style that made me think of a Monty P sketch...

Lol. I think it goes a bit deeper. There obviously must be some sort of commercial interest there somewhere.

He has been reading the 'Gospel according to St Bastard' (obscure Eddie Izzard quote...)

Sera

tony-devon

posted on 9/2/11 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
LOL all this goes way over my head, and right past my ears in honest truth LOL

a neighbor of mine came round to complain about the noise level a while back, nearly turned green when he saw the hifi, its nothing major high end, but a few decent items, Rega, Naim mainly, and Ruark.

but it works well, especially as Im about 80% deaf in one ear, limited hearing in the other ear, (too many years riding bikes, and being young and a know all, shooting for years with no ear protection, pah, dont need them silly things) and know not a lot about sound, other than I know what I like LOL

he hates me as he knows I couldnt tell the difference between some £5 mp3 player with speakers, and my system, but hey it looks nice and I got all the bits cheap due to my work

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

Ninehigh

posted on 10/2/11 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
$12k for speaker wire? Does it take me to work or give me a, er, gentleman's massage?

Sounds like these are the same kind of nuts that would pay the £1 per tyre for Kwikfit to fill them with nitrogen so they can pootle around in their Hyundai Atoz knowing they're better than you.

My music at work runs through a Sony W595. The inbuilt speaker too. Not great quality but imo it doesn't get a lot better if I pay money

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.