Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is my ticket valid?
MikeRJ

posted on 11/10/11 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
I know probably not the answer you're looking for BUT...

1) The whole of that carriageway is the M6.
2) You haven't passed the junction, the closely dashed line simply indicates the destination of the lanes, ie the M55 and M6 don't run together.
3) It has "three lanes or more" in this case 4 lanes. You were in the "right" lane in contravention with highway code 265.

You could legally have been in lane 3 to get to your desired destination.

Plod on PH believes that legally it will be two carriageways after the start of the split, so I reckon it's worth pursuing.

[Edited on 11/10/11 by MikeRJ]

adithorp

posted on 11/10/11 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
If you do follow it up, can I suggest you dont use statements like...

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
...it was reasonably busy traffic so I was just trundling along minding my own business... (if it's busy shouldn't you be concentrating?)

...I certainly wasn't doing any overtaking manouvers, just going with the flow of traffic.... (Then why were you in the overtaking lane?)

...so I didn't pay too much attention to which lane I was in.... (do you often drive without paying attention?)

Chris

I know what you mean, but they could be mis-interpreted.

I'm pretty sure you're in the outside lane of 4 though as far as the law is concerned and also pretty sure thats is part of the road taffic act rather than one of the advisory parts of the highway code.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 11/10/11 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

...I certainly wasn't doing any overtaking manouvers, just going with the flow of traffic.... (Then why were you in the overtaking lane?)

Sorry to say this but according to the highway code there is no such thing as "the overtaking lane" the outermost lane is "supposed" to be used by traffic to allow a vehicle to "accelerate" up to the speed of the flow of traffic, after which time your supposed to integrate your vehicle back in to the other lane(s)

(stupid I know) but the outer most lane is actually considered to be the "accelerating lane" and not for "overtaking" as its commonly & (mistakenly) used for & called.

jollygreengiant

posted on 11/10/11 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
And, also, don't go saying thing like I wasn't aware of it but I am now, as ignorance is not an excuse in the eyes of the law as far as motorists are concerned as we 'Drivers' are ALL meant to be aware of the 'Highway Code' (current version, not the one we read when we took our test) and the 'Laws' contained within it. the other question that you should ask your self is 'what speed was I actually doing' as he might have film evidence of you exceeding the the 'limit' for a towing rig on the motorway any just 'chose' to do you for the lane infraction without mentioning the speed infraction because he has this thing about seeing towing the ouside lane. Also I presume he was not 'solo' in the vehicle, so it is likely that he will have his own 'independent' witness. Many years ago I had one of those after a police car followed me for 12 miles of local roads and the best he could come up with was that I 'crossed' a double white line, the truth was he couldn't catch me with his 2.8i Granada, I wasn't speeding and I had a Mk1 Cortina (ok it did have 1662cc full race Xflow under the bonnet).

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Agriv8

posted on 11/10/11 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
I would Say very VERY grey area.

Write to police and Ask for proof/evidence as you wish to raise with your legal reprasentative as you are intiteled to do, if they say they will only release to legal state you wish to use the evedence to discus the case with several legal representaives before you decid who yiu are going to use.

and see what the evidence shows you never know the case may disapear .

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Humbug

posted on 11/10/11 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
"The right-hand lane of a motorway with three or more lanes MUST NOT be used (except in prescribed circumstances) if you are drivingany vehicle drawing a trailer "

Not Guilty your honour

I think the bill were being a bit harsh, since there are 2x2 lanes divided by a special dashed line... but, although the left 2 lanes have the M55 sign above them, they also have the junction number, indicating that the M5 only starts after the junction, therefore the 4 lanes are part of "a" i.e. a single motorway and you were in the right hand-lane.

Guilty but you are being a bit mean, your honour

Strontium Dog

posted on 11/10/11 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
I can't help with advise further than has been given already and that I think you should write to chief plod asking to see the evidence but I would just like to say...

"We so desperately need more coppers like the ones who did you to keep us safe at night. Several small children and a Grannie could all have been killed by such recklessness. Bloody good job orificer!.................Wait a mo, that's not quite right,is it?"

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/zephyr2000/General%20forum%20uploads/?action=view¤t=3DEngine.mp4

bowood14

posted on 11/10/11 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
After watching Motorway cops last night on BBC1 you have to have Blond wavey hair, tits and your son sitting next to you waving and you get off with speeding and only get 3 points and fine for not having a licence for 14 years Oh and you get a lift home !! I too got 3 points for being in the third lane with a trailer 2 years ago. If I were you I would fight it if no one can come up with a definite answer then how were you know
grassracer

posted on 11/10/11 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Might not be any help....but I have on many occasions done exactly the same as you at that very point and wondered if I was actually doing something wrong, its a ballache because as soon as you get to the close dotted line all the artics pull over into 'lane 3' its uphill so they are often below 50mph and you either move over or slow down to their speed...I've never been stopped before so its never been that big an issue but always there in my mind.
My interpretation is that 2 left lanes are M55 and 2 right lanes M6 so therefore legal to do so

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Ninehigh

posted on 14/10/11 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
"The right-hand lane of a motorway with three or more lanes MUST NOT be used (except in prescribed circumstances) if you are drivingany vehicle drawing a trailer "

Not Guilty your honour

Bingo.

Yes you're in the right hand lane, so the ticket is valid, however you're allowed to be in the right hand lane as on this part of the road it's the second lane. Thus the ticket is valid, but not for any kind of offence. You might as well have a ticket for "a well wicked ride"

metro6r4

posted on 14/10/11 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
i would contest it
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.