Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Property Damage - Car Driver
001Ben

posted on 27/4/12 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
As above they are just trying to fob you off. They are just hoping you'll get fed up and go away. I am sure that insurance companies have unofficial policies regarding 'ignoring people until they actually take us to court'.

isnt going to happen, i will phone them monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday and then friday. After that i will take it to the ombudsmen

Agriv8

posted on 27/4/12 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
I would be Stateing

1 that you are making notes if the case to go to the ombudsman,
2 that you will start recording the calls to assist with point 1
3 you are trying to sort this without solictor but iff needed you will contact yours and llok for these cost to be recompensed.
4 the cost you belive are involved and that you will keep persuing these until it i resolved.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Humbug

posted on 27/4/12 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see why his car insurer will only pay out if he is negligent. As people have said ^^^, that's what third party cover is for: damage to any other person or their property; the question of negligence should only affect whether they pay out for damage to his property... Keep going and keep a log of who you spoke to when and what date, and what they said, partly so you can produce "evidence" at some time if necessary, but also so you remind yourself what happened before when you talk to the company/person at a later date. I have found it much better when dealing with companies if I can say "I spoke to X on 3 April and he said...". They tend to realise that they can't so easily fob you off and make you think you forgot.
cliftyhanger

posted on 27/4/12 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Has anybody suggested contacting the driver?
I have previously been led to believe (and I do believe it) that if the insurance company do not play ball, let the drive know that you intend taking THEM to the small claims court. Explain politely that their insurance are refusing to cover the damage that has been caused, therefore the driver needs to pay.
This usually gets a reaction from the driver, resulting in hasty calls to their insurance company. If they are not bothered, start the process. I cannot possibly believe that small claims would not find in your favour.

morcus

posted on 27/4/12 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
It's not just insurance companies that seem to have things in place to try and make you just give up. I had to phone the electcity company to sort something that couldn't be done any other way (Basically to stop them sending round debt collectors for something I'd paid but would clear until after they were due, which means they'd try and charge me for the visit) and was waiting for 40 odd minutes, on a hold system that I'm sure was designed to make it difficult to put up with as they interupted the music with the same message far too frequently at far to high a volume.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Peteff

posted on 27/4/12 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Unconscious at the wheel of a car, how much more negligent could you get than that ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

SteveWalker

posted on 27/4/12 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
I am not 100% sure, but I seem to remember reading that negligence must be shown for insurance to pay out. Bad driving, driving despite a known medical condition, etc. are all negligent, whereas I am pretty sure I remember seeing a case where the insurers would not pay as the driver had no previous medical history and had a heart attack at the wheel and out of the blue.
FuryRebuild

posted on 28/4/12 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
The ombudsman is interesting. When you open a case with the financial ombudsman, there is a flat initiating charge that goes directly to the offending body. Even if the only response you (initially) get from them is "Have you exhausted the claims/complaints" procedure.

So, even if it doesn't need the ombudsman, the offending body is charged.

Just saying.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

mds167

posted on 28/4/12 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild
The ombudsman is interesting. When you open a case with the financial ombudsman, there is a flat initiating charge that goes directly to the offending body. Even if the only response you (initially) get from them is "Have you exhausted the claims/complaints" procedure.

So, even if it doesn't need the ombudsman, the offending body is charged.

Just saying.

Which one reason is why our premiums go up - people going to the FOS for the hell of it.

Going to FOS isn't a guarantee that your case will be upheld - they'll look at conduct, handling of the case, insurance rules, legal precendent and FSA principles (including no.6, fairness) and if you believe that your claim has been mishandled or you've not been treated fairly and a complaint hasn't been resolved then they are the place to go.

FOS won't take on a case until the complaints procedure has been exhausted and the general (used to be official and now just common) timescale for a complaint is 8 weeks.

Keep saying you'll go to FOS and hopefully they'll push a claim through but if you say you're going now someone *could* BoP (bottom of pile) your claim and only deal with it when FOS ask them to. And FOS have a quite a backlog of complaints.

Be polite, be insistant, contact them regularly, don't go to a solicitor until you've exhausted the *free* alternatives but be prepared for a long haul.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.