Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  2    3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Stealth HD Chop build
flak monkey

posted on 5/6/11 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Spent most of the day laying under a Volvo welding patches on the floor...spatter in the ear hurts!

In the remaining time I manged to get the instruments mounted to the tank. Its going to have a bit of fettling yet. I am hoping that with the tank being rubber mounted its going to keep the vibration down on the instrument pod a bit.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

flak monkey

posted on 8/6/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Been meaning to make a seat pan for a while. Never done one before, so was a bit of trial and error.

Cut out a card template and made sure it was symmetrical

Then cut it out from 1.6mm steel sheet and started to whack some shape into it. Making it up as I go along as I don't normally do any sheet metal...

So its fits the frame properly

The cut a back out and beat it with a big stick until it fitted the pan and mudguard.

Just need to make the brackets, weld in a stiffening plate and fully weld it all. A job for tomorrow

Already have upholstery planned, just need to finish a few more bits.

Sera

Miks15

posted on 19/7/11 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Any new updates David? interested to see how shes looking now!
flak monkey

posted on 25/2/12 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Been a while since I updated this, so suppose I should.

Everything is back apart again and is being prepped for paint. Having a go at most of it myself, because you don't know if you dont try. Spent £320 on 2k paint and primer, so its an expensive experiment

Finished the filler off on the tins today, so primer and more prep tomorrow if the weather is good enough. Otherwise I'll be doing some final welding of brackets on the frame so I can get it blasted ready for paint.

Sera

flak monkey

posted on 26/2/12 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
First paint thrown, epoxy primer followed by 2k filler.

Just need to flat it all off and sort any remaining issues then its ready for some top coat. Its been baking in my shed all afternoon infront of the woodburner

[Edited on 26/2/12 by flak monkey]

Sera

Peteff

posted on 26/2/12 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Don't hide the back tyre with the numberplate for crying out loud and does the front pipe run down the side of the foot rest, it's going to get hot in your right boot if it does.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

flak monkey

posted on 26/2/12 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Plates not staying there, needs to be there for the MSVA test though Either that or I'll change it for a smaller one.

I need to get around to making my proper exhaust up as well. No rush for that though will just run it on open headers after the test until I get my own pipes made up.

flak monkey

posted on 9/3/12 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Picked the frame, bars and forwards up from being grit blasted this afternoon. Then chucked a quick coat of epoxy paint on them. Bit windy outside so did it in the garage instead.

I'll hang it up to get a full colour coat on it in the morning.

matt.c

posted on 9/3/12 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Cant wait to see this baby finished!

flak monkey

posted on 13/3/12 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Started the long and tedious job of wet sanding and polishing the frame.... joyous Hopefully have it done by the end of the weekend so I can start putting things back together

[Edited on 13/3/12 by flak monkey]

alistairolsen

posted on 15/3/12 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to see an update, nice to see you trying yet another skill yourself! How are you dealing with the health issues surrounding 2k?

My Build Thread

flak monkey

posted on 16/3/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I hate spraying, but only because I havent mastered it yet. Determined to crack it though . Just bought myself a nice Sata Jet gun and some more/better kit.

WRT 2k, I use a 3m organic/vapour mask

Masks

But they don't suit some peoples face shapes so don't seal properly. They seal perfectly on me, so I am happy to continue with that, but I would still suggest using air fed for ultimate safety, but it adds another £300+ to the kit bill.

Finished polishing the main frame up today, will be doing the swing arm tomorrow morning then assembly can start...

flak monkey

posted on 17/3/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
After too many hours I got the frame sorted. Pretty pleased with the result, still needs a final polish, but I'll do that later... So started putting it together today. Still making bits as I go so it's going to take some time.

Engine's going in tomorrow.... and I need to try and figure out the correct assembly for the mismatch of steering neck bearings and bits....

[Edited on 17/3/12 by flak monkey]

flak monkey

posted on 18/3/12 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
That engines bloody tight in there. Right bastard to get in and out Hopefully it's staying in there this time!

flak monkey

posted on 22/3/12 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Been putting as many bits on as possible this week. Still working on some bits so its slow progress, but at least its going in the right direction.

After remaking a few bits for the yokes, and a spacer I managed to get them working. Not a great design, but will see how they go. Not a major job to change to different ones later. So I dumped the front end on there tonight, need to sort the bearing preload out when its had some weight on it to settle it all.

Spent a couple of hours last night trimming up the discs I had water jet cut. I have yet to find out if they are flat enough, quickly checked on a surface plate they seem pretty good. Will clock 'em up once the front wheel is in. Must be the heaviest front wheel around , what with fat spokes, big heavy discs, and lots of chrome Once I am happy the discs are OK, then I might polish the centres up properly.

Painting the primary, bars and forwards up at the weekend. That will allow some rapid progress then

flak monkey

posted on 26/3/12 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
Well yesterday I painted up the primary drive bits, only to find the satin came out gloss (yes I mixed it ), and I wasn't happy with it anyway. Will order some more paint this week and have another go next weekend weather permitting :lol: Good thing is they are al prepped up ready for another coat. So an hour or 2 should see them done.

The rest of this weekend has been making odd little spacers and brackets, all of which seem to take bleedin' ages, especially in stainless. Oh and making a metal gate for some friends (12' x 4', and tidying the garage, changing the bars on the sporty, doing some pre assembly on the chevy engine to see how much to have the block skimmed. And the list goes on...

Amongst all of that I got the front wheel fitted, with the proper stainless spacers. Brake calipers mounted up and the mudguard modified and mounted. The PU glue on the brackets is currently drying off. Hopefully then I can lay some glass mat on up over them inside and they should stay put for good.

Yes the mudguard isn't what you'd normally expect to see on a custom... but I quite like it. Carbon kevlar thing, no real benefit to the weight saving on this thing though. Once the brackets are finally stuck on I'll give it a trim and polish up. The bits of plate are wedged in there while the glue dries

matt.c

posted on 27/3/12 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
I wish i had your tallent.

alistairolsen

posted on 28/3/12 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Christ thats gonna be long!

My Build Thread

Slater

posted on 29/3/12 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Wow. This is an excellent thread, I can't wait to see the final product. I only found it yesterday! Keep posting the pics and updates.

It certainly beats my home made bike.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

MikeRJ

posted on 29/3/12 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slater
Wow. This is an excellent thread, I can't wait to see the final product. I only found it yesterday! Keep posting the pics and updates.

It certainly beats my home made bike.

I like it! What engine are you using?

Hellfire

posted on 29/3/12 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good but I can't help thinking that the mudguard would look so much better if it was fitted the other way round, even though the brake caliper is in the way. Just my personal opinion though..........

Phil

flak monkey

posted on 1/4/12 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
I did toy with the idea of fitting the front mudguard backwards, but it meant chopping so much of it off that it wasn't really worth it.

More progress. Slow, but steady. But it did get wheeled outside for the first time today.

Got the bars fitted, wires and throttle cable threaded through, rear wheel in, starter fitted, cables in for head light and front brake switch. Mocked up the clutch line to check routing, going to cover it with clear heatshrink to stop it chaffing everything though. Need to get some different banjos for the rest of the lines.

Next job is more painting

Benzine

posted on 1/4/12 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Drooling over that last pic... TWO volvo 245s!

srsly though, flip hot bike

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 1/4/12 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
the grey ones nearly done 400k now.
MsD

posted on 1/4/12 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent... What other forums would you find this level of detail and a diversity of projects!

Top work, very bling!

Mark.

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.