Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Please help me!
Snap-off

posted on 18/11/08 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Please help me!

Hi, It's a long story but i need some help with my car!
I originally failed SVA on lambda being too high. I found the problem, air leak where the cat joined the rear can.
Setup the emissions at a garage after fixing this, drove 50 odd miles in the pi##ing rain to eventually get there and the emissions were way out.
Bought new carbs, balanced them, and the car is running alot better. Overall I have now spent hundreds of pounds, melted three emissions probes at different garages and had disasters every time I go for an SVA. I also have contacted numerous tuning garages within a 60 mile radius only to be told they cannot set the car up.
I am near an ultimatum with the wife, I have to the end of the year before i need to re-apply for SVA, i have no time as my shifts at work have changed.
I was very near getting them in tolerance at a garage last week before his probe melted.
I only have to pass the emissions to get my MAC, i would gladly pay for some help on this as it has now being going on for 5 months and I do not want to break the car down and sell it!
What should i do?

McLannahan

posted on 18/11/08 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Snap - Andy at AB Performance might be able to help and he's not far from you either.

He really does know his stuff. I know he's "Mr Fireblade" but I'm sure he'll be able to point you in the right direction and get you on the road. He's a top chap.

http://www.abperformance.co.uk/

Just checked and he's only 50 miles from you.

matt.c

posted on 18/11/08 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
We need to know what your R1 engined cars have done on your sva? Ie what exhausts, cats, jets, airboxes/filters?

Does a bigger CAT mean better emmisions or doesnt that work that way? Would a different exhaust can make a difference? Ie steven is using an R1 can.

To airbox or not airbox?

Come on everyone, including companies, We really need to get this car sorted please.

Someone once said to me "If anyone can, the locosters can!" So come on lets make this happen.

sonic

posted on 18/11/08 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Snap off

What year is your engine?

If it helps i have a exhaust can which has had a cat welded on the front of it which connect to your down pipe.let me know the ID of the pipe and i will check.

Mine went through SVA with it fitted,had heat wrap around the cat though.

If it helps you can borrow it we would just have to arrange getting it to you and back to me.

Mick

austin man

posted on 18/11/08 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Have you contacted MK ?? they have experience of this engine as Does Chris M
sonic

posted on 18/11/08 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Are you running the Airbox or a K&N foam type?

Mine is the Foam type and i was supprised how much richer it ran on the Rolling Road when i put the bonnet back on,sent the mixture to rich.
I am currently looking into either a bonnet scoop or ducting a cold feed from the front to the filter

Cheers

Snap-off

posted on 18/11/08 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
It is a 1998 R1 with standard airbox and K&N filter, i have welded the r1 can to the cat so there will be no more leaks.
At the garage last week I had both the CO and HC within the limits so the cat was working, just the lambda slightly out.
I find it very tricky to adjust the carbs equally, with the vibration of the engine it is difficult to know if the screwdriver is in the mixer screw head, familiarity with the machine readings and people asking questions in the garage when you are trying to concentrate it is easy to get lost in what you are doing.
I would rather let someone else set it up properly so it will pass the test.

Snap-off

posted on 18/11/08 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I may get in contact with them!

quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
Snap - Andy at AB Performance might be able to help and he's not far from you either.

He really does know his stuff. I know he's "Mr Fireblade" but I'm sure he'll be able to point you in the right direction and get you on the road. He's a top chap.

http://www.abperformance.co.uk/

Just checked and he's only 50 miles from you.

smart51

posted on 18/11/08 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
I struggled with mine. In the end, I fitted a different cat and it was OK. If you can find an expert who can lend you a better cat and set the car up for you, you'd probably be as well.
A1

posted on 18/11/08 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
im using a cat from mk on a 2000 r1, im not sure how well it works, but ill be getting it motd in about a week, so ill let you know...
BenB

posted on 18/11/08 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
If your mixture setting has been really wacky you might have killed your cat. They don't like super rich running......

Hence a different cat might be a good option once the mixture is pretty spot on. For setting the mixture in the first place I personally like Colortunes... I know some people knock them but in the abscense of a wide band lambda it does the trick for me..................

afj

posted on 19/11/08 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
CALL BSD MOTORCYCLE DEVELOPMENTS! they are in eye, nr peterborough they have done a few becs and mine is going there what they dont know about bike engines is not worth knowing 01733 223377 speak to mark brewin

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.