Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: £££££££££
kikingriffin

posted on 12/2/04 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
£££££££££

well by the sounds of it i wont have to 4x4 it to beat me mates scooby round a track,my buget is what ever i get for my to vans that r 4 sale on the for sale bit on here and othre sites,shound be around £3-4,000 were stick with the c20let tho,
wat will i need to do this ive heard that on some locost style cars you have to move the pedal box what else do i have to conceder?what gear box? prop? engine mnt`s?,hubs?,steering rack,would prefure a 6-speed box what would fit?,whats the best suspension to get?what kinda kit would be best robin hood,westfield,ect have you lot got any parts or chassies to help me start?

jonti

posted on 12/2/04 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
erm....what was the question again ?

OFROK

200mph

posted on 12/2/04 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
May I be so bold as to suggest a book I found particularly useful??

It's titled 'Build your own sports car for £250 (ahem), and race it'

byt a cetain gentleman (ahem) by the name of Ron Champion.

must get that cough looked at

regards
Mark

Stu16v

posted on 12/2/04 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
4000 quid, for a C20LET powered car with a six speed box?

[piss on chips]
I very much doubt it's gonna happen.
[/piss on chips]

I think you may already know the spec of my car It's a bare bones racer with no trick bits, and a S/H parts where possible, and mine cost just over 4 grand on the road. The engine was free (bought complete GTE, broke it and got my money back on bits). And I built my own chassis too....

Lets say you buy a chassis. Realistically, unless you have a good selection of tools/welding equipment, it's gonna be your best bet. A bare chassis from a reputable company is approx 500 quid. Then you want some wheels and tyres. Put another 3-500 aside for them. You are going to need a decent gearbox (i'm guessing a Cozzy T5)-approx 300 quid. This isnt 6 speed, the only one I know of that *may* be suitable is the Caterham one, but say bye-bye to 1500 sovs if you can drop on a S/H one. A bellhousing conversion is approx 200 quid, a low line sump around the same again. You really need an LSD for it, the cheapest way is a Sierra one, about 100 quid. Allow 125 sheets for lighting, 75 for a wiring loom. Seats will be around 2-300 quid, guages around 200. At a guess, decent nosecone/wings will be around 250. Springs/shockers approx 300 quid. Prices really are rough guesses, but the above comes to around 2700, and you havent got an engine yet (approx 1200?) wishbones, brakes, steering, radiator, dashboard, panelling, exhaust, petrol tank, pedal box, propshaft, and all of the other little bits and pieces that really add up.
Like nuts, bolts, washers, paint, hoses, switches, mirrors, interior trim, rivits, sealer, etc, etc.

And then this assumes that you have the necessary tools to do the job.

Dont be put off, because as I said, it is only a rough guide. The more you can do/make yourself, the cheaper it becomes. And dropping on S/H stuff can help with the budget too. But ultimately, the faster you want to go, the more it is going to cost you. IMHO I think your desire for speed isnt quite in your budget.... Mine was built with the intention of future upgrades in mind, the ultimate plan is to build a supercharged XE for it. If I had tried to do it all at once, it probably wouldnt go on the road for another year or so yet.

P.s the same spec car from Westfeild for instance would of probably cost me around 8000 sovs. Food for thought.....

HTH Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

Julian B

posted on 12/2/04 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Stu has got this in one
There are three variables: namley power, weight and outlay.

The book has, i have to say the best ratio of all three of these. If you follow the book designs you end up with a light weight figure a small outlay figure and a reasonable power number.

These all sound like weather forcasters terms but its up to you to put these three variables together to achive a true ( non red top van ahem) racer.

So to answer your question

A stock chassis from MK or the like

Forget robon hood because they are too heavy and have suspension probs ( i know i built one)

Tuned Pinto or crossflow 110-180 bhp but remember the weight. Go bike or V8 or high o/p vauxhall if you want to intimidate your mates STi (bloody difficult)

Dogs nob.... look at DAX's Turbo Busa 1300 Turbo but wear a neck brace B4 you even open the web page

Cheers

Julian B

DavidM

posted on 12/2/04 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
I know I'm going to kick myself but, what's a C20Let?

And errr IMHO?

Sorry I'm old so I don't talk Text message and abbreviations.

ned

posted on 13/2/04 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Davidm,

A c20let is the engine code for a turbo'd vauxhall xe as found in calibra turbo's. approx 205bhp as standard i think and a lot more torque with the turbo. Can easily make 280bhp with a hybrid turbo upgrade and standard internals *i think* though may be wrong on that part.

As stu says really, more power = more mullah.

I'm starting off with an 8v vx that uses the same bellhousing, engine mounts, igntion system, shallow sump. when i have the car on the road I'll finish building the xe to the spec i'd like (around 220bhp, maybe more) and swap the bits over.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jonti

posted on 13/2/04 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Syd Bridge
A bit off topic....., but I seem to say what you polite englishmen think but don't say....

I'm with you on the 'text talk' David.
If nothing else, it's just plain ignorant and rude. But that's todays young fellas.

AAAAHHHH..."Text-talk" so that's what it is !!!!

I thought he was some sort of bloody alien......

He's got an advert in the 'For Sale' section too.......No offence intended but he might stand more chance of success here and anywhere else if people could understand what he was sellin' .....cos I can't.

But then I'm just another boring old sod who only speaks sorta proper like !

PS

'IMHO'........I know this one!!!!..... Its "In my honest/humble opinion"....see, I can be trendy if I try....

BOFR.

[Edited on 13/2/04 by jonti]

OFROK

stephen_gusterson

posted on 13/2/04 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
I think something to consider is that some people may have dyslexia (sp?) or other learning disabilities that make it hard for them to express themselves in writing.

They can still build cars tho!

Its probably not a good thing to slag people off that are not as able as ourselves. The original post doesnt read like text talk to me......

atb

steve

ps

Im not the best of spellers, and my typing is crap.

[Edited on 13/2/04 by stephen_gusterson]

jonti

posted on 13/2/04 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
I think something to consider is that some people may have dyslexia (sp?) or other learning disabilities that make it hard for them to express themselves in writing.

------------------------------------------------------

Steve with the greatest respect...B*LL*X

I'm not slaggin anyone anyway (would I do that Steve ??) my spelling is atrosh...atroci...atrt...crap as well.

I'm really just trying to be helpful..have look at the comments in his for sale thread....it won't sell if you cant tell what it is mate.

This guys not dyslexic he's spending too much time on his mobile

By the way
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic who lay awake at night wondering if there was a 'DOG'...heh heh !!! PC I aint...sorry

[Edited on 13/2/04 by jonti]

OFROK

madforfishing

posted on 13/2/04 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
I heard of that guy, I heard he was an insomniac too. Hence he was awake all night.

Sorry.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
madforfishing

posted on 13/2/04 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
I heard of that guy, I heard he was an insomniac too. Hence he was awake all night.

Sorry.

kikingriffin

posted on 13/2/04 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
hmmmmmmmm

i cant spell to good but i can drive a tractor! i do use my moble 4 texting alot could be the problem sorry lads as you all seemed to have looked at me vans 4 sale, any 1 intrested?ill p/x um both for a part built kit car i got pics if any 1 intreasted,any more gossip on my build were could i look for kit cars 4 sale?will a chassie be to heavy if made from mild steal?
JoelP

posted on 13/2/04 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
we nearly all use mild steel (cue the smug stainless gits!). should be fine, the chassis is probably the lightest part of the build. well, compared to the engine anyway...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

bazwaz

posted on 13/2/04 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with you on the spelling, but then nobodys prefect!
Barry.

jonti

posted on 13/2/04 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Well I nearly undertood almost all of that last post............either you're getting' better my friend or I'm getting used to it.....Welcome to the madhouse.

You'll find lots of assistance from the nutters in here (as long as you can be understood)......P*ss taking as well but I'm sure you've already realised that.

Good luck with your build

OFROK

TPG

posted on 13/2/04 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
hnummp umop .sssssskkkkk.booomm.But i was very,very drunk.........
There was a thread going in "anything else " or was it "locost related" that I started with regards to "HHHHhhhhow much!

..Which was nice..

kikingriffin

posted on 13/2/04 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
hmmmmmmmmmm

any way apart from my poor speling,were could i get hold of a chassie plan for either a caterham,westfield,or dax rush, i have a good mate who will make me a chassie if i get the drawings he will do 4 £300ish is that dear i you lads want any thing made in mild steel in up to 2" he will due cheap 4 you. eg roll cage for a normal car £80 ish is that cheap?dose any one know of any web site were i could get hold of cheap parts ie t5 g/box,body panals ect im after a even a part built one i would do a p/x on my vans i have 4 sale, any off welcome i have pics if any one intrested just send me a e-mail to kickingriffin@aol.com ,what prop shaft do i use and has it gota be modded to fit?
jonti

posted on 13/2/04 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kikingriffin
were could i get hold of a chassie plan for either a caterham,westfield,or dax

Get Uncle Rons Book (Halfords) as per Marks first response to your oringinal Post.. that's the plan most scratch buiders on here are using.

OFROK

kikingriffin

posted on 13/2/04 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
but!!!!!!!

would it look the same as a dax rush at the end thay look wider and beefy looking, comperd to the robin hood or mk ect no effence
kikingriffin

posted on 13/2/04 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
[Edited on 13/2/04 by kikingriffin]
Peteff

posted on 13/2/04 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic who lay awake at night wondering if there was a 'DOG'...heh heh

His other question was if there is a Dog is He omnivorous ?.

If you look at the Indy kit and you already have your engine you shouldn't have too much to find to get a car project started. Sierra for under a £100 round here. The gearbox mating is your problem with either a bellhousing conversion for a ford box or find something that fits and make the prop fit after. The Dax is no beefier than any other kit on the market, it's just the bodywork that looks the part on them.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 13/2/04 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kikingriffin
i have a good mate who will make me a chassie if i get the drawings he will do 4 £300ish is that dear...?

sounds an ok price, i certainly wouldnt make one for that (you'd be a fool to buy one off me anyway - deathtrap!!)! however, unless he is skilled at making a chassis strong flat and square it may be best to pay a couple of hundred quid more and have one made by a kit car company (mk/luego/st?/etc) to their own proven designs. Theres a lot to be said for a reputation!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Julian B

posted on 13/2/04 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Well if we have given up on english then.....Perché lei non va alla libreria e prende il libro di Ron Champion? È non troppo caro. Ci è molte informazioni di come costruire l'automobile ed il tipo di materiali lei avrà bisogno di. Comprerei un telaio da un fornitore e non fido di un amico farlo.

La Fortuna buona con suo costruisce

Sorry but I have been wetting myself reading this thread. I don’t think I have read anything as funny as this in a long long time .. Me Vans... what is that some Dutch bloke?

DavidM

posted on 14/2/04 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
Vantastic!!!!!!!!!

I'd just like to say that I do have a mobile.

Unfortunately as I now spend most of my life in the garage, I no longer know anyone to send texts to.

Thanks for the help wiv de lingo.

I new I'd kick myself!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.