Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Try lifting the wheels like this in your Locost
Terrapin_racing

posted on 13/2/04 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Try lifting the wheels like this in your Locost

Put a tow bar on the Locost and use a Terrapin for racing

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
philgregson

posted on 13/2/04 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Without wanting to be too picky - a somewhat smaller avatar would make you a jolly popular chap amongst those of us who's monitors occupy less than one wall of our offices.

And with regard to towbars: How will I tow a terrapin anywhere when |I've got the caravan behind the locost?

Phil

DickieB

posted on 13/2/04 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I followed a racing Fiat Uno (if that's not a contradiction) at Llandow on Saturday. Through the bus-stop he was going at snail's pace (compared to me), and was still lifting an inside wheel. So I overtook him. And then I overtook the racing TVR Aren't 1300 Crossflows great?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Deckman001

posted on 13/2/04 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Aren't 1300 Crossflows great?

Only when driven by 'great' drivers !!
Drivers like me need a few extra cc's !!
And NO I don't race in the series

Jason

Viper

posted on 13/2/04 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DickieB
I followed a racing Fiat Uno (if that's not a contradiction) at Llandow on Saturday. Through the bus-stop he was going at snail's pace (compared to me), and was still lifting an inside wheel. So I overtook him. And then I overtook the racing TVR Aren't 1300 Crossflows great?

I notice you neglected to say what TVR,coz if it was a Tuscan then he must have been stuck in first....or a total wanker
Tim...

DickieB

posted on 14/2/04 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Oh sorry, yes, a Tuscan. His exhaust pushed me backwards on the straights, but he was such a mincer on the corners I had to pass him, and he never re-took me on the straights. Oh what fun.
Terrapin_racing

posted on 16/2/04 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a Terrapin in action, chasing a Brabham and "the Beast" just prior to stuffing them.
And - the Brabham and "the Beast" have a good few more litres and 4 extra cylinders a piece!
Classic! Rescued attachment guyana.jpg
Rescued attachment guyana.jpg

Terrapin_racing

posted on 16/2/04 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
The “The Beast” a V8 powered Mallock U2! Rescued attachment beast.jpg
Rescued attachment beast.jpg

200mph

posted on 16/2/04 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
you mention low cost for a terrapin, but everything in you achive looks brand new...how much are you spending on the build?

Mark

Terrapin_racing

posted on 17/2/04 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, I'm lucky (I live near a very good powdercoating firm) - a couple of things -
The tubing and sheet metal to build the car cost £80. Aluminium sheet panelling was about £100 The engine and gearbox have been rebuilt (name your cost here? - I did all the work myself and spent about £300 on parts). Brakes - picked up new discs from Avonbar at a tenner a piece. New calipers from Newark autojumble brand new at £15 a piece)
All items have been powdercoated by a local firm and the quality is exceptional.
I could go on forever - In summary I think most of you will agree, whether it be a Terrapin or a Locost, you could build a car for less than a grand (and it would probably look like it!) or you could spend thousands and have a showpiece.
My build will probably be >5K once you start looking at wheels, tyres, fuel system - I've bought a sidedraught Dellorto, JAZ fuel tank & all linework is Goodridge or Earls. Samco hoses alone came to nearly £200. All the coolant tubing was formed from 1.25 inch alloy tube and then powder coated red. One thing - Don't be tempted to skimp on your suspension and brakes/steering. No amount of savings is worth yours and any bystanders lives!

I suppose the real question is "How much do you want to spend"?

The real hidden cost with all these builds is your time - xxx's hours at £xx ??

Fogot to mention, If a concours Terrapin costs >5K to build - compare it to the new ERA single seater kit at >£20k
The Terrapin will out handle the ERA I'm sure.

Extract from British Sprint Championship 2003 - "Alan Flavell cruised to a solo victory in the up to 600 Racing Car class whilst the ebullient Dean Robertson in the garish 'Dick' Terrapin took the 1100 class ahead of Jane Farthing whose aggressive driving may well have been spectacular but it did wreck the rear suspension already weakened by two days at Gurston Down hillclimb! Guy Gibson only took his first timed run and with it the 1600 Racing Car class, the rest of the class was dominated by the other registered Top Twelve runners. The two-litre class went to the 'immaculate' Van Diemen of the diminutive Dave Cutcliffe. Not only first in class but a new class record into the bargain."

[Edited on 17/2/04 by Terrapin_racing]

Terrapin_racing

posted on 17/2/04 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
A picture of Dick's car in action Rescued attachment Dick Terrapin.jpg
Rescued attachment Dick Terrapin.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.