Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Engine tune
Adam

posted on 18/3/09 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
R1 Engine tune

Hi All.

Been running my R1 2000 Mk for a while now. I fitted a jet Kit from TTS and it ran sweet. Now it has been sat for a couple of months and now it seems to hesitate a bit at 7K revs? any ideas or does it need a good tune? if so where's the best place to take it, near nottingham.

Cheers
Adam

sickbag

posted on 18/3/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
If the car has been standing for any amount of time then you might find the rough running is due to the old fuel in the carbs gumming up the jets. Although you can sometimes get away with an additive, nothing beats stripping the jets out and giving them a good clean - as per the manual of course.

If you're going to leave the car standing for more than a couple of weeks then best advice is to switch off the fuel pump and run the engine until the carbs are empty. Some carbs have drain screws in the bottom of the float chambers but these can be quite messy to use.

This is especially true for bike engines as the carbs, jets, etc, are less tolerent to petrol gumming than car engined carbs, etc.

Finally back on the job!

smart51

posted on 18/3/09 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Could it be that you "tuned" it to run in cold weather i.e. a bit too rich. Now that the weather is warmer, the fuel isn't condensing and so you're getting incomplete combustion? If you've already had it set up on a rolling road and haven't changed anything then its probably OK. If not, I'd get it done.
smart51

posted on 18/3/09 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Dear "sickbag". Your location implies that the UK is a 3rd world country. I take it you've never been to an actual 3rd world country? No? Once you've seen how the majority on this planet live, you'll see the UK in a new light.
sickbag

posted on 18/3/09 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Dear "sickbag". Your location implies that the UK is a 3rd world country. I take it you've never been to an actual 3rd world country? No? Once you've seen how the majority on this planet live, you'll see the UK in a new light.

Oh wow! you're assuming quite a lot about someone you don't even know. But as I don't know you I shall let you off with your incorrect assumptions.

Finally back on the job!

smart51

posted on 18/3/09 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sickbag
quote:

Oh wow! you're assuming quite a lot about someone you don't even know. But as I don't know you I shall let you off with your incorrect assumptions.

So you have seen true 3rd world conditions? Your comments strongly suggest otherwise. The standard of living in this country in no way makes it 3rd world. It may be a British obsession moaning about things but that does't make your assertion true. The UK has superb mains water standards, one of the best health care systems in the world (really) excelent education, welfare and social security, first world transport, infrastructure and communications, a government that isn't driven by bribes and corruption. It isn't a police state, the police and army don't kill civillians who criticise them. The courts are by and large just and free from political interferance and our elections are free and fair plus the losers in those elections do give up their office to the winners.

Sure, the UK isn't top of the table of developed countries but that isn't the accepted definition of 3rd world. You may have noticed that people unjustly critisising what is in fact a good country really annoys me.

sickbag

posted on 18/3/09 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sickbag
quote:

So you have seen true 3rd world conditions? Your comments strongly suggest otherwise. The standard of living in this country in no way makes it 3rd world. It may be a British obsession moaning about things but that does't make your assertion true. The UK has superb mains water standards, one of the best health care systems in the world (really) excelent education, welfare and social security, first world transport, infrastructure and communications, a government that isn't driven by bribes and corruption. It isn't a police state, the police and army don't kill civillians who criticise them. The courts are by and large just and free from political interferance and our elections are free and fair plus the losers in those elections do give up their office to the winners.

Sure, the UK isn't top of the table of developed countries but that isn't the accepted definition of 3rd world. You may have noticed that people unjustly critisising what is in fact a good country really annoys me.

Before I move on and ignore any future posts from you I will just point out that my statement you find so offensive is MY opinion of the state of the country. You appear to have your own opinion and that is also fine, it is your right.

If you feel the need to debate this further then feel free to U2U me.

Adam - sorry your post degraded so. My apologies.

Finally back on the job!

mad-butcher

posted on 18/3/09 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
I think you might live to regret saying "before I ignore anymore posts by you".... I'm not getting involved with handbags at dawn it's all been done on here before and we've lost some very knowledgable people over it. I've just come back from cuba 25 pessos a month(about £20) for the hotel staff, trainers £40, jeans £35 spray deoderant disposable razors/make-up (not mine).
My trainers cost me £5 T shirts about £1 each. my suitcase weighed 25kg going out and 9 kg coming back. embarrasing isn't the word

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
afj

posted on 18/3/09 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
getting back on track -fresh motion lotion, clean/ replace plugs, air and fuel filters, then spend loadsa wonga on the dyno

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

dean100yz

posted on 19/3/09 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
How funny reading the above!

Anyways it sounds like the posts regarding your R1 were answered. Chances are your jets have sucked up a small bit of crap, grit, etc etc. Might be wrong though!

Mine did it but only affected in from tickover to about 3500rpm. Would hesitate and be a little err lazy to rev. Tbh I just have it a load of beans and it cleared itself.

The additives can sometimes break down the problem though -worth a try for the sake of a fiver!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.