Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HELP pinto wont rev under load
stevem2727

posted on 1/5/09 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
HELP pinto wont rev under load

As in the title really.First day of having the car on the road.2.1 pinto running twin 45 webers,starts and ticks over really well.will pull away fine but try to accelerate and it sounds like its misfiring and will not pull past 2750 revs.Have replaced plugs,leads,adjusted tappets,re set timing,checked carb balance,mixture o.k.,removed jets and cleaned out.Any advise really appreciated.It does have fresh fuel in it also.thanks
cadebytiger

posted on 1/5/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
agree - sounds like a problem with main jets to me.

I had a similar problem after rebuilding my webber 45s. In the end i found that i had the auxiliary venturi (the inner ring bit as you look down the barrel of the carb) backwards.

Have you ever had it running well in the past?

As above also - what ignition are you using?

Rupert

stevem2727

posted on 1/5/09 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for getting back on this,not sure of the make but it was an electronic ignition kit from burton,will find out name,thanks
Martian

posted on 1/5/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
had similar problem with 1300 crossflow, twin choke weber. it was condenser. fitted new one + points...cured!
MautoK

posted on 1/5/09 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
I had similar with a Citroen AX some years back. It wouldn't get above 40 mph, regardless of which gear
You could scream it in first, get 40 mph max in 2nd, 3rd and top. It turned out to be the plugs leads; new set - perfect (as perfect as 954cc can be, anyway!)
But I see you've changed the leads
OK, sounds like fuel/jets.
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

tomprescott

posted on 2/5/09 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like fueling problem to me, carbs might need balancing or just a general set-up. A friend of mine had this on his cobra, turned out to be a pinched end on an in-line fuel filter that was starving the engine when it was going above certain rev ranges.
mark chandler

posted on 2/5/09 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
If you get the cam one tooth out advanced then the car will have a superb tickover and be useless above 2500rpm.

When you say checked out timing I assume you mean sparks, did you also verify the bob weights are advancing when you rev the engine?

Regards Mark

greggors84

posted on 2/5/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Had the same problem with my 45s.

The valve for the float chamber had come loose and unscrewed it self a bit. It meant that the float only got halfway up before closing the valve so there wasnt enough reserve fuel for higher revs or when you booted it.

[Edited on 2/5/2009 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.