Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: limited slip diff
stevem2727

posted on 25/6/09 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
limited slip diff

I no this has been covered before but i cant find it sorry.How do i no if i have a lsd.Do the rear wheels turn the same way when off the ground or opposite?thanks.
jacko

posted on 25/6/09 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Same way
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr G

posted on 25/6/09 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Have a read of THIS thread

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

stevem2727

posted on 25/6/09 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
thank you
Dan

posted on 28/6/09 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
welded diff

make sure its not a welded diff as well!!
if you hold the prop flange make sure the out puts still turn with some resistance movement on the prop flange as i found out when went to buy a diff described as a lsd.

you sould be able to hold the prop and still turn the output shafts with them both turning the same way

flak monkey

posted on 29/6/09 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dan
you sould be able to hold the prop and still turn the output shafts with them both turning the same way

Ummm, NO! If you did then the diff is broken. With the prop locked (car in gear) any diff will spin one wheel one way and one the other. The difference is in the amount of force to do it. An open diff will spin the wheels in opposite directions very easily. With an LSD there will be some resistance, but they will still turn in opposite directions.

With an LSD and the wheels off the ground and the car OUT of gear (prop free to rotate), the wheels will turn in the same direction generally depending on the resistance in the drivetrain.

If the diff is off the car if you lock the prop and then try to turn the output flanges in opposite directions an LSD is very tight to turn, and open diff is very easy. (I was playing about with one of each tonight incidently).

The other way to tell (assuming there is no tag - if there is and it has AA in the code then its LSD) is to take the back off and have a look. I can post some pics of the inside of both types if its useful?

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.