Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT degree advice
tegwin

posted on 27/10/09 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
OT degree advice

I know we have a huge variety of rather clever people on this forum...

I would appreciate some input..

Im 21, have A levels in Physics, DT and Geography.... Have been building things in my garage for years, (cars, hovercraft etc) have also worked for Rolls Royce...started an apprentiship with them... but it fell appart thanks to their uselessness!

The time has come to quit my boring and dead end job sat behind a computer and do something...

I think getting some training at uni is perhaps a good idea..

I had thought about going to do a Mech/Aero/Auto engineering course... but my lack of Maths is a bit of a hinderance... yes I COULD do a foundation degree, but I really dont think I could face that for some reason...

There are a few civil engineering or Engineering, geology and geotechnic degrees that look interesting, but I cant for the life of me figure out what you would use them for when you leave uni... Anyone have a geotechnical degree?

The problem is, I want to solve mechanical design problems and actually create something....Would be nice to do a job where you see the design brief for something come in through the door, and are involved in the entire thing to completion..(not something they believe in at RR!)

Doesnt matter if the product is a car or a house.... its the conceptualisation and problem solving that would make it a good job

Can anyone make any useful suggestions?

The last thing I want is to wake up one morning and find im 30, still living at home and still doing the same crappy job....

[Edited on 27/10/09 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Andi

posted on 27/10/09 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Im not too much good in the way of what courses for what jobs Teggers.
But what I do know is that you have an idea, a direction and obviously the passion.
I never known what I realistically wanted to do and still dont at the crisised age of 46.

Im sure some boffins will be here soon to steer you.

Good luck
Andi

55ant

posted on 27/10/09 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
if its the math part your not a fan of how about a bTech instead of a bEng, theyre pretty much the same course but obviously ot a full engineering course, most uni's that offer motorsport eng offer motorsport tech, but its not very hands on. i started the first year of motorsport engineering at oxford brooks, really tough course but learnt a lot, not much of it about cars though! so i have changed to model design which is basically either film pops, techical models or prototype designs, much more hads on and a really interesting course, also you have a hands on skill and are always in the workshop.

uni is great, but make the most of it, youll be the one paying £3k+ a year for it, and if you want to you can work aroud your full time degree quite easily, i manage to work plenty of hours.

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

dinosaurjuice

posted on 27/10/09 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Im in the middle of doing an engineering degree. yes there is lots of maths, and i dont particularly like maths. but its just how it is im not expecting to fall into a job when i finish either, not in this country anyway.

theres plenty of other ways to get a good job though. It sounds to me you would like working within a small company where everyone knows whats going on and everyone knows each other. if this is the case then maybe look around at local businesses and ask if they have any jobs going.. for anything!

If youve got the right mind set theres no reason why you cant start off by sweeping floors and work (and train) your way up to a higher position.

just my opinion...

big-vee-twin

posted on 27/10/09 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I completed my degree in 1997. I now rum my own engineering consultancy.

The degree I did was called Integrated engineering at Nottingham Trent.

The course was as it says integrated and coveredboth Electrical and Mechanical Engineering with some manufacturing engineering too.

The course is recognised by both the Insitute of Electrical Engineers and also the Institute of Mechanical Engineers for Chartered Engineer status.

Because this degree is a even mix of both disciplines you can get jobs in either area.

Since getting mine my life has changed significantly for the better and I would reccomend this course to anyone

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Guinness

posted on 27/10/09 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I did my first degree straight from high school at 18. I chose Geography as I enjoyed the subject at A level and we got free foreign field trips each term

Three years later I graduated into the middle of a recession. Applied for loads of jobs (other than geography teacher), but because I hadn't really applied myself to the course, I'd graduated with a 2:2 and there were better qualified grads out there for almost every position.

So I went into the construction industry, as a very junior draftsman. Now, 15 years later, I'm back at uni, doing my ideal course, Building Project Management. The course specification almost exactly aligns with my skill sets, experience and current job. It's pretty much perfect for me, and when I graduate, I'll be qualified for the first time to do the job I've been doing for years

I think that back in my day, the choice of degrees was very limited and pretty much soley focused on academic acheivement. Now there are so many courses out there, and lots that are specifically targeted to getting you qualified to do the job at the end of it, that you can pretty much pick exactly what it is you want to do.

But with that comes bewildering choice!

Go for it, you only live once.

Mike

Volvorsport

posted on 27/10/09 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
want to earn some money to play with toys ?

civil engineering .

if you dont like the math - pick a degree course that doesnt have it .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

indykid

posted on 27/10/09 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
how well did you do at a-level physics?

i didn't get on so well with a level maths (got a c overall but a u in pure3 - the hard calclus stuff) but was always stronger in physics (got an a)

i'm in final year of BEng motorsport engineering at huddersfield and so far, the maths hasn't been soooooo challenging. the step up into final year after being on placement's seemed a bit of a jump, but tbh, it's only because i've forgotten the calculus stuff.

the maths learning curve hasn't been steep and the support is huge. at the end of the day, you'll be studying to pass an exam, of which, past examples exist so you know what you're after if you just want the degree rather than the understanding, but both are accessible. i managed 86% in second year maths.

if you're still worried about the maths, BSc is perhaps the better route. it's similar but stripped of maths and i don't believe gives understanding so much as compliance.

whatever you do, find a course you'll get something out of (not just enjoy) and get yourself to uni. i was 20, nearly 21 when i went and there were plenty of people of the same age and older. the longer you leave it, the harder it'll get though.
tom

[Edited on 27/10/09 by indykid]

iank

posted on 28/10/09 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
Amusingly I was talking to another ex-Rolls Royce apprentice last Friday who's now doing a PGCE to teach DT. (currently a shortage subject so you get paid £9k tax free from Gordon for the 9 months of the course)

First thing is you're going to be stuck behind the computer for a while as 2010 courses don't start until next September (unless you can get onto an under-subscribed course virtually instantly - and if it's under-subscribed you should be suspicious to be honest, you'll have to talk directly to the university admissions tutor for the course to have any chance).

A quick search on wikipedia gives a pretty good idea, to me at least, as to roughly what kind of jobs you'll end up doing if you get a geotechnical degree (either in Aberdeen tieing rigs to the seabed, or going around the building sites of the UK telling big companies what kind of foundations, retaining features or earthworks they're going to need after drilling some big holes).

Trouble is you're going to have to start thinking smaller, there aren't really any jobs (outside the kit industry) where you get to design a whole car, or a whole house, or anything else for that matter - I worked at a big software company doing mobile phone stuff and I got to do one small piece of the USB subsystem. If you're happy with smaller bits then that's a start but it's easy to get pigeon holed if you aren't very careful and end up designing brake calipers, or whatever, all day for the rest of your life

Good luck with the search! Uni is great and in my experience the mature students do a lot better, in general, than people straight from school. Many of whom end up at uni through inertia and parental expectations rather than because they want get educated - and that's from someone who went straight from school.

[Edited on 28/10/09 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

DavidW

posted on 28/10/09 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
While I was doing my first degree at Aston in Mechanical Engineering (admittedly a few years ago now) they introduced another degree called Industrial Design which looked quite like Mechanical Engineering but without the Maths and more emphasis on design.

Maybe worth a look?

RK

posted on 28/10/09 at 01:42 AM Reply With Quote
Remember, calculus and those horrible maths courses are there to get rid of the people that aren't that serious. It is a way for THEM TO WIN, which is not on, is it? Think about that one, and choose again.

In case you don't follow: do the courses that demand the maths anyways, if it gets you where you want. Nobody knows what they want when you get down to it. I want to do eff all and build cars in my garage, so I have to find a way to do it. My previous life as a commercial bush pilot and waterbomber didn't allow anything but aviation all the time, so I got out. It wasn't fulfilling enough, although I do have a lot of stories to tell...

paul the 6th

posted on 28/10/09 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
The problem is, I want to solve mechanical design problems and actually create something....Would be nice to do a job where you see the design brief for something come in through the door, and are involved in the entire thing to completion..(not something they believe in at RR!)

Doesnt matter if the product is a car or a house.... its the conceptualisation and problem solving that would make it a good job
[Edited on 27/10/09 by tegwin]

Product design or something along those lines maybe?

I'm sure if you look for design & engineering as your main search criteria, you'll find something relevant to you

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 28/10/09 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
I'll say (from the direct experience of others) that a Degree per se is NOT want you want. I believe that said, your lack of formal maths ceases to be of concern. My feedback from BSc/BEng associates is that the degree has got them stuck behind a PC doing things, something they don't enjoy (familiar ring...).
Someone I know has just done a degree in Motorsport Engineering, now doing something with a PC and logging stuff, after abandoning a PhD that would've put him remotely behind the PC.

Want to get your hands dirty? Let's meet, look at some viable business models, hire a Unit and go start welding things.

I graduated (BSc) at the start of a recession, so did a PhD (Chemistry) given no jobs available. Finished the PhD, still no jobs, recession in dire depths. I went and did Post-Docs around the world (Sydney, Oahu, Quebec.....) (bloody fantastic years of my life) before coming back and doing the wife, mortgage, lawn mowing and pet cat thing. Three UK Biotech work failures to date, last one was really it, I'm now out of work, house sold, looking at alternatives........

tegwin

posted on 28/10/09 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thankyou all for your input. Its really appreciated!

Its just a pain that I dont know what I want out of life.... I have always said I would rather do a job that I love for peanuts, than earn lots and do a job I hate...

Getting a qualification in something would deffinately be a start.... I dont think the apprentaship route works for more mature people...

I dont doubt for a moment that I would not struggle with the maths in an engineering degree, but I am sure I would cope...

Oh I dont know.... I guess I just need to pick 6 degrees that look vaguly interesting and useful...apply and see who offers me a place...

The alternative is that I spend the money on completing my comercial Helicopter license... but the chances of getting a job with low hours are slim to none sadly

[Edited on 28/10/09 by tegwin]

big-vee-twin

posted on 28/10/09 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Just to finish Off I was sh*t at maths at School, I didnt go back to college to do the degree untill I was 28 - the first day at uni the first lesson was maths!

The maths was so far over my head I was left in a tail spin. At the end of the day I when back to my car totally in bits and yes I sat there and cryed like a baby.

I didnt want to go back the following week but my missus made me go, I got in with a group of guys and we whent through uni together all qualifying with 2:1's.

It is my belief that anyone can pass a degree so long as you are prepared to work hard and your classmates will always be there to help - The uni's do not what you to drop out either they want your cash - they are a business after all and they will also help you through.

As I said previously I work for myself now, have as much time off as I like to do the things I like and earn pleanty of wonga too.

Go for it you will not be disappointed.

[Edited on 28/10/09 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.