Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap Welding Masks...
alistairolsen

posted on 22/11/09 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Cheap Welding Masks...

Dads old auto dimming welding mask is coming to the endof its days (too dark to see through even on minimum setting.)

I see some cheap ones on ebay and I'm temped, but my sight isnt something I take a cavalier attitude with. Has anyone got one and had any success, and if so, which one?

Cheers

My Build Thread

NS Dev

posted on 22/11/09 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I have recently stopped using a £75 mask as it was crap...........it depends on how much you are using it.

I used to do all my "home welding" with it and it was fine.

Now I am sometimes welding for say 6 hours in a day, and a huge amount of it being stop-start pulsed stuff, I get arc-eye from the auto mask, and I have gone back to the old non-auto helmet.

I think I might get a proper one for christmas, but they are £175 for a decent one.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

BenB

posted on 22/11/09 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
I got a cheap one off Ebay. Works fine. And my brand new guide dog likes the colour too

Seriously I have never heard of a problem with the cheaper ones not protecting the eyes. I think the problem with them more is that they sometimes require quite a bright spark such as MIG welding and don't do so well for TIG. But for MIG I'd personally say any cheap one is fine. I've used my cheap-as-chips Ebay special for hours of welding and never had a problem. Your mileage may vary.....

paul the 6th

posted on 22/11/09 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
I got one with my mig welder from weldequip last year - think it was about £60 (can't remember the brand but I'll check). It has worked perfect everytime & never had a problem. Give him a shout on the mig-welding forums to ask what he supplies

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Wadders

posted on 22/11/09 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
This is my latest helmet, it gets used and abused on a daily basis, paid £55+vat from the local welding supplier.

http://www.toolnweld.com/6415/ESAB_OrigoTech_913_Automatic_Welding_Helmet_Black/

posted on 22/11/09 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
I posted on a thread a while back about solar powered head shields and the fact that if left in the dark they give up the ghost.

I've now bought a battery powered one that runs on a pair of CR2032's, the same batteries as car key fobs.

It's a Speedglas 100 Trojan Warrior.... OK, so that's a naf name but I can't recommend it highly enough.

It's small, lightweight, with superb optical quality, adjustable from 8 to 12.

A BIG plus is the light shade is 3, yup SHADE 3

Cost ???

£108 from my local welding rep, personally delivered.

Cheers
Paul G

[Edited on 22/11/09 by 907]

speedyxjs

posted on 22/11/09 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
I got an auto dimming one from ebay for £24ish. Had it for 3 years, build the whole chassis with it and have never had any problems. Batterys have only just been replaced for the first time

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Peteff

posted on 22/11/09 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Anything in front of your eyes will protect you from arc eye, the UV can't penetrate plain glass. I got a free cheapie screen with my new mig and it works fine but if I was looking at a new one it would be this Optrel, + vat but seriously good from all accounts.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

austin man

posted on 22/11/09 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
I had a £40.00 from Newark Kit car show it lasted 3 sessions of welding before it went kapput

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

gazza285

posted on 22/11/09 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Mine was £40 off eBay 6 years ago, it's a solar powered one, and it's never let me down yet. I do a lot of arc welding, with rods up to 5mm, guess I got lucky.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trextr7monkey

posted on 22/11/09 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert but as with most things the technology seems to be improving and costing less at same time - bought first one about 8 years ago and it was best part of £200, still in use all MIG stuff and OK ,

bought a Sealey one about 2 years ago - £75 it was better - so much so that the fabricator guy left and the mask "went missing"

Just bought another from Clarke and it seems really good - much lighter and darkens even with red hot metal, if you wait til a VAt free day they are pretty cheap and if anything goes wrong you know where to take it backatb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

posted on 22/11/09 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
Mine was £40 off eBay 6 years ago, it's a solar powered one, and it's never let me down yet. I do a lot of arc welding, with rods up to 5mm, guess I got lucky.

I don't think you were lucky Gazza.
It's precisely this sort of usage that they thrive on. It keeps the internal battery charged.

My old Esab was fine at work. Loads of light through the skylights when it wasn't being used.
It's when I brought it home and put it in the garage it went downhill.

Cheers
Paul G

Neville Jones

posted on 23/11/09 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Parker Tools have got an offer on at the moment.

http://www.parkertools.co.uk/Product/620491/Solar+Powered

I've been using one of these for more than a year, and no probs. Branded as from a reputable UK welding equipment distributor, and 12months warranty.

Cheers,
Nev.

alistairolsen

posted on 23/11/09 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Do the battery powered ones give any kind of warning when they go flat?

My Build Thread

MikeRJ

posted on 23/11/09 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
Do the battery powered ones give any kind of warning when they go flat?

They fail safe (i.e. dark) when the battery is exhausted.

posted on 23/11/09 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
The Speedglas has a low battery warning LED.

The batteries are supposed to last 1500hrs

Paul G

The Black Flash

posted on 24/11/09 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using a Parweld one - about 40 quid I think and seems to work fine.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.