Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Access Denied to folders in Windows 7 trouble
Jasper

posted on 14/12/09 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Access Denied to folders in Windows 7 trouble

My motherboard went down the other day, so I've had to reload Windows, so I upgraded from Vista to 7.

So now I'm re-installing all my old progs, and I want to import my old application data for things like Firefox and outlook.

So I've gone to the Windows Old folders, where everything from the old system is, and have found the Mozilla folders with all my favourites, passwords and cookies to copy into the new folders.

However, I've found where they should go: 'C' - Users - Application Data, but the icon is slightly greyed out, and when I click on it it says 'Access Denied'

I've gone into Control Panel, Folder Options to allow me to see all hidden folders/system folders, but that didn't make any difference. I've right clicked the folder and clicked Properties, then the Security tab to change the permission level, and it just keeps saying Access Denied.

So how do I tell this bloody PC that I want access to everything to change things.

Oh yes, and I've got 4 sticks of RAM in the board, 2 x 2gb and 2 x 516Mb, and yet it's only showinng that I've got 2Gb installed.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

paul the 6th

posted on 14/12/09 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Hiya Jasper,

this link might shed some light on the problem maybe

http://www.technixupdate.com/repair-the-error-%E2%80%9Caccess-denied-on-files-and-folders%E2%80%9D-in-windows-vista-or-xp/

are you logged on as the administrator or have you already created subsiduary user accounts? Bit of a dip in the dark but wondered if it could be something to do with that

[Edited on 14/12/09 by paul the 6th]

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
britishtrident

posted on 14/12/09 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
With Firefox you should have tried MozBackup it makes changing Firefox & Thunderbird to a new system absolutely painless.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Jasper

posted on 14/12/09 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I would have used the back-up feature, but my motherboard just died on me so I didn#'t get a chance.

Tried that fix, and made no difference....

OX

posted on 14/12/09 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
id take the two 512's out ,,doubt it will make much difference and make sure you have the 2 matching 2 gig sticks in the right slots

[Edited on 14/12/09 by OX]

McLannahan

posted on 14/12/09 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Make yourself the "Owner" of the folder first. Folder-Right Click - Properties - Security - Advanced - Owner.

Change Owner - Also check the replace owner on subdirectories too. Choose yourself and "Apply" your way out!

stevebubs

posted on 14/12/09 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
1) Are you logged on as administrator?

2) you may have to right click a directory higher and force it to recursively change permissions on all subfiles/directories.

Jasper

posted on 14/12/09 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Yup - got the permission working now, thanks, but can't get more that 3gb of memory to work, if I put the 2 x 2Gb sticks in then I still get just 2gb.... And I've swapped the sticks around, so I know they both work ok.

And am I right in saying the right slots are 1 and 3?

OX

posted on 16/12/09 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
a friend just said that if its windows 7 32bit then it wont register more than 3 gig anyway
Jasper

posted on 16/12/09 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh - that's why I installed 64bit!! I think it's one of my 2GB sticky anyway ....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.