Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car scrappage scheme is ridiculous.
Danozeman

posted on 2/1/10 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Car scrappage scheme is ridiculous.

My mate work in a VW dealers and just text me a picture of a nice High spec V reg 528i bmw thats just been put in for scrappage!! Gonna try and swap some bits off it before it goes.

Madness. Thats newer than mine!!

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

prawnabie

posted on 2/1/10 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Whats the betting half of these classics going for the chop never actually make it to the scrapyard lol.

I know for a fact there are 2 "dead" minis running around with different plates and chassis numbers courtesy scheme!!

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/1/10 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
well my old bluebird is the only car to have made it up the small hill next to the house and all the modern cars have been unable to get up. That BMW what a waste of time, even with winter tyres it got nowhere hopeless pile of junk

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GMPMotorsport

posted on 2/1/10 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
Whats the betting half of these classics going for the chop never actually make it to the scrapyard lol.

I know for a fact there are 2 "dead" minis running around with different plates and chassis numbers courtesy scheme!!

They have to go to a registered scrap yard who then issues a certificate before the garage can claim their money from the scheme.

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marcjagman

posted on 2/1/10 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Any one fancying opening a scrapyard
Simon

posted on 2/1/10 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GMPMotorsport

They have to go to a registered scrap yard who then issues a certificate before the garage can claim their money from the scheme.

Or, if they can make an extra £50, they flog it as no scrappage required?

ATB

Simon

tomblyth

posted on 2/1/10 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
there are 10 mini's in M&J in N/Sheilds , hav'nt see a mini scrapped for ages until this daft scheme
morcus

posted on 2/1/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
When it first started, our citroen dealer had an example car which was in better condition than the 06 plate cars they were trying to flog for £5,000

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

bmseven

posted on 2/1/10 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Good job it finishes next month - hopefully

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

orton1966

posted on 2/1/10 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
The Truth is Out There!

Heard some dealer on a radio talk-show and he really hit the nail on the head. Basically is argument was that he was struggling to find decent cheaper/older S/H cars to sell because the kind of person who has an older car that qualifies (through length of ownership) for scrap age is the kind of owner who has looked after their vehicle, whilst the ruff ones generally don’t end up going to scrapage, either because their owners can’t afford to trade-up or because they don’t run the cars for long enough ( to qualify) before they managed to run them into the ground. The point being that all the scheme has done is take the decent older cars of the road and leave the porely maintained, potentially more dangerous/polluting ones on the road .

What does make my blood boil is that the scheme is sold to the public as a green policy (as well as economic) when in reality the carbon emissions manufacturing a car represent the equivalent of many years use, therefore even if we accept that older cars are more polluting, the difference between the scrapped car and a newer one is far outweighed by the carbon emitted producing the new one. The one and only reason for the scrapage scheme is to prop up a motor industry that has been over producing for more than a decade and that actively builds in obsolescence in its products and then phases out or overprices spare parts that would keep its products on the road, oh and then lobbies governments to remove it older products from the road to increase new car sales.

I’m a petrol head like most others on this forum but I also would rather corporations and governments were honest about what they do, especially when they claim to be doing things in “OUR” best interests

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/1/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
My Buddy has 200 cars going through his station a month ...all for scrappage.

He is not happy cause its 200 fewer customers each month less as the new cars wont come to him for service......till 3 or 4 years from now......and he may not even see these customers again due to the break in contact.

skodaman

posted on 2/1/10 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
To all you sceptics of the scrappage scheme I think you should just appreciate how much help our Gordon is giving those poor impoverished Japanese, Italian and German factory workers.

Skodaman

omega 24 v6

posted on 3/1/10 at 01:30 AM Reply With Quote
My 98 plate omega in mint condition with a genuine fsh 51K on the clock went to scrap. Such a bloody shame but trade in value 600 quid against 2K for a new car was a no brainer. Absolutely ridiculous IMHO but the wallet is what makes the pain easier And i got a letter from the dvla to say the car had been scrapped and no longer was registered to me.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Ninehigh

posted on 3/1/10 at 04:12 AM Reply With Quote
I'm trying to look on the bright side to this, and that is that I won't have a whole car being stripped on my drive it'll be done at the scrappies and I can fit all the bits in the boot

bimbleuk

posted on 3/1/10 at 05:54 AM Reply With Quote
I did consider trading in my Audi A4 TDi but it does everything I require and shows no signs of stopping and its just a few miles away from the big 200,000 mile mark!

I did benefit indirectly however as I just bought a perfect set of 16" alloys from a Lexus RX300 which was for some silly reason being traded in under the scrappage scheme!

Danozeman

posted on 3/1/10 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

My 98 plate omega in mint condition with a genuine fsh 51K on the clock went to scrap. Such a bloody shame but trade in value 600 quid against 2K for a new car was a no brainer. Absolutely ridiculous IMHO but the wallet is what makes the pain easier

Yes but how much did you have to fork out to get the 2 grand?!

Its like my 525 tds. P reg full history excellent nick for the age. Thatd go in for 2 grand and be crushed. Perfect car! But then id have to stump up at least 6 grand for something to replace it.

The one my mate had in there some the same on the bay etc for 3k. It is actually a 530 sport. Im gonna try and raid it for bits if i can before i goes away so there may be an upside.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

dhutch

posted on 3/1/10 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
My car (v reg merdian spec pug 306 1.8l with 40k on the clock) is however NOT going to the scrapage scam.

I may only be worth a grand but its a cracking car and i wouldn't swap it for modern equivalent if you paid me. If only because i cant find another one i like or that can tow 1200kg

Daniel

MikeRJ

posted on 3/1/10 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
or that can tow 1200kg

I thought most modern cars of a similar size will tow 1200kg braked? The new 2.0L Focus is good for 1400kg!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.