Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Replacing steering column key switch with FIA cutoff?
leemarkadams

posted on 9/3/10 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Replacing steering column key switch with FIA cutoff?

Hello all, as part of re-doing some of my car I am looking to get rid of the key switch to turn the ignition on (already have a starter button) and replace it with a FIA switch, what is the easiest way to do this?

The car has a sierra column and lock.

Thanks

Lee

tul214

posted on 9/3/10 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I have done this.
My Tiger uses a Golf steering column so a little bit different but essentially, you will have to remove/dissable the steering lock. I drilled out the barrel and hacked off the locking bolt. On the golf there is a particular spot that you drill and it allows the barrel to slide out.
I also re wired the ignition through a toggle switch for the 1st position and then through a start button for the actual 'start'.

The red key switch cuts all power and I also have a seperate immobiliser that cuts various circuits.

Mark

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

nitram38

posted on 9/3/10 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
It depends on how you want it to work.
If you want to just use it to replace the keyswitch, that will be straight forward as it will be a case of just reconnecting the existing wires.
If you want it o operate correctly as per it's design for racing, then you will need to rewire your main battery lead through it.
Also I recommend using the fia switch with the extra terminals and resistor set up. This protects your alternator diodes if you turn the switch off while running and also prevents the engine from running on because it's power is being supplied by the alternator.

RichieHall

posted on 9/3/10 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
I would suggest amalgamating both suggestions, a FIA switch isolating the battery, a toggle switch for the ignition and a starter button.

This way the FIA switch acts as another immobiliser. I would recommend using the alternator/resistor terminals on the switch, as said previously not using them can damage the alternator.

[EDIT] Apologies Mark I should've read your post properly

[Edited on 9/3/10 by RichieHall]

Rust is lighter than Carbon Fibre!

scootz

posted on 9/3/10 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Don't want to sound like Mr Geekoid, but have you checked what the insurance co will make of it?

It's Evolution Baby!

blakep82

posted on 9/3/10 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Don't want to sound like Mr Geekoid, but have you checked what the insurance co will make of it?

interesting question but would they necessarily know how it was before anyway?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

scootz

posted on 9/3/10 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure they would be all that happy with the first line of security being a universal 'key'... hell, the FIA mechanism can even be turned using a biro!

I know in the real world that if a thief wants your car, then he / she will have no problem in nicking a Se7en, but insurance co's don't seem to live in the real world and I would hate to see someone losing a fortune over a matter such as this if it all went horribly wrong!

It's Evolution Baby!

tul214

posted on 9/3/10 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Scootz,

I still have a key but it is hidden and I always take it with me when leaving the car. This along with 'other' security devices ensures the car stays put(fingers crossed)

However, it does add to the when you just jump in and flick the toggle switch and press the start button.

Mark

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.