Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Scrappage
Airhead

posted on 18/4/10 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Scrappage

I dare say this has been round the houses but if I don't get this off my chest soon I will bally well burst.

I went to some scrap yards yesterday to look for donor parts, specifically one which I had on good advice just received a transporter load of low mileage Focuses. It turns out that these cars average 23000 miles and they have been traded in on the scrappage scheme. It gets better. On the way in I noticed an MX5, perfect for my donor. Nope - it's on the scrappage scheme so I can strip it there but can't take the car away. On top of this he had a MK2 MX5 and an MGBGT all on the scrappage scheme. All in better condition than the cars I drive daily. (Well I didn't look at the MG but who would scrap even a dog?)

Point is this government is totally out of touch. Classic cars are getting scrapped by idiots who don't know better and so much for recycling, how on Earth can scrapping a 23k Ford be good for the environment?

Phew thanks, I needed to get that off my chest.

Anybody know any way of getting round the legislation so I can get hold of one of those MX5s for parts?

Rek

posted on 18/4/10 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
There are 3 mx5's in the scrapyard near wokingham (just had the mirrors and seatbelt from one). there is also a rust free beetle and and MG too...
eddie99

posted on 18/4/10 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
All the more for us to have in scrap yards
But yep i see where you're coming from. There are positives and negatives to the scrappage scheme!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
blakep82

posted on 18/4/10 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99

they have to be crushed though

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Kwik

posted on 18/4/10 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
whos up for starting a locost scrap yard?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 18/4/10 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Slightly off topic, but I was looking for an engine for airhead, and dropped in on a friend of mine who has an accident damaged 2.0 Mondeo. I had missed it by a day, but he got £160 for it on weight at the scrappies - I hadn't realised that scrap was at a premium again

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

MakeEverything

posted on 18/4/10 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99

they have to be crushed though

....... at some point.......?

For the scrappy, all they need to do is fill out the paperwork and send it off to DVLA saying the car no longer exists??

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

mcerd1

posted on 18/4/10 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Airhead
...how on Earth can scrapping a 23k Ford be good for the environment?

It's not ment to be good for the enviroment, it ment to be good for the car manufacturers

btw - did any of those focus's have a decent set of 15" alloys on them ? (I need a pair of the zetec type ones for my 100k focus)

-

robocog

posted on 18/4/10 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
I work in a yard, and its heartbreaking

Esp knowing they are MOT'd. roadworthy and as you point out are 9 times out of 10 in pristine condition and can no way be classed as end of life vehicles, but the rules are the rules I guess

On the other hand...
We got quite a few from the scheme, which has helped re-stock us (we had a massive fire last year which emptied the whole yard)
So I guess I shouldn't grumble as it helped keep a roof over my head and in employment

Regards
Rob

hillbillyracer

posted on 18/4/10 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Well the real problem with the scheme was the wrong type of cars ended up being scrapped, the type of owner who was in a position to buy a new car but had an old one was also the type that kept their old car in good order, well serviced, lower than average miles, kept clean & tidy. The owners of the doggy, just scraped through an MOT, overdue a service & never washed cars that you'd want off the road were not in a postion to buy a new car!
Airhead

posted on 18/4/10 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robocog
I work in a yard, and its heartbreaking

Do you know if there is any legal way I can get my hands on one of them? If he cut out the VIN etc?

quote:

btw - did any of those focus's have a decent set of 15" alloys on them ? (I need a pair of the zetec type ones for my 100k focus)

Can't remember - he said he had a load of them in storage so when I go back I'll ask him.

robocog

posted on 18/4/10 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Nope
No way can they go back on the road

The only way ours will be leaving the yard is as a neat bail of steel headed for foreign shores

We have to issue a certificate of destruction so duty bound to destroy them
I guess any breaches of this would be more than frowned upon

Regards
Rob

Airhead

posted on 18/4/10 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robocog
Nope
No way can they go back on the road

The only way ours will be leaving the yard is as a neat bail of steel headed for foreign shores

We have to issue a certificate of destruction so duty bound to destroy them
I guess any breaches of this would be more than frowned upon

Regards
Rob

Yep I was afraid of that, shame I can't take it, strip and measure it then take the shell back.

dhutch

posted on 18/4/10 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Makes me mad, physically actually mad.

If they had even said that 10% of what got scraped could be resold at auction. Say.

The only thing that makes me madder, its that come may, i'll be voting for them again.

Daniel

Airhead

posted on 18/4/10 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Is that mad, as in insane?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.