Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Has anyone fitted a sump baffle plate
mad-butcher

posted on 11/5/10 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone fitted a sump baffle plate

to a yamaha R1 4xv engine if so did you double up on the O rings on the oil pump outlet pipe to compensate for the thickness of the baffle.

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
progers

posted on 11/5/10 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I presume from your post you are using a baffle plate that is sandwiched between the main engine casing and sump? Although these are OK, the better designed baffles bolt higher up in the main engine housing and are better at limiting surge.

My first R1 had a baffle like this and I did not double up the O rings - the rely on an interference fit in the hole as much as anything. There was no oil leak.

- Paul

Henrik H

posted on 11/5/10 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I have the same question about my 4c8 2007 R1? My plate is wery "thight", with not that much of holes, is that bad for the oilreturn to the sump?

Regards Henrik

progers

posted on 11/5/10 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
We need pictures to comment :-)

- Paul

mad-butcher

posted on 11/5/10 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Off to bed now ready for 2 am start at work will post pic tomorrow. but yes it fits higher up not on the sump pan/crankcase. if you remove the oil pick up and the U shaped oilpipe from the pump the baffle fits there then the pipe work remounts on top, not to bad in the case of the pickup because that just face to face but the U shaped pipe has in effect been lifted off its seat by the thickness of the baffle plate

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
james h

posted on 12/5/10 at 03:24 AM Reply With Quote
I did what you are describing, works absolutely fine. I have an R1 baffle plate (1998-2003) for sale if anyone is interested
Henrik H

posted on 14/5/10 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Hi again

I have some problems with the oilpressure... I have a platein my sump, the modell thats tony has... If i drive slowly at low rpm, the oillamp lights up after a few minutes. I have taken out the plate yesterday, and it works fine without it!!!
Any ideas of the problem??

Reagrds Henrik

progers

posted on 14/5/10 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Henrik,

Can you describe how your oil lamp is triggered? Is it related to pressure or is it the original oil level warning lamp?

If your trigger is level related, it is probably due to oil taking its time to get back into the sump. This can be improved by opening up some of the return holes in the baffle (i particularly do not like the design of the cnc plates that are sold with little "butterfly" drain holes - they need to be bigger).

If your low warning is pressure related it is more worrying that it is better without the baffle.

Don't forget with these engines, oil pressure will always be very low once the oil/engine is hot at low rpm. A baffle should not affect this however.

- Paul

Henrik H

posted on 16/5/10 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I really dont know if the red oillight is pressure or level, but all outer engines i know, has the warning at low pressure. Hopefully it´s just low level, and my baffle plate is weary thight with anly a few holes, about 5mm each...

Any more good ideas?

Henrik H

posted on 16/5/10 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
... The engine is an 4c8 R1 -07...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.