Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: '01 TT check engine light/OBDII reader options
indykid

posted on 19/1/11 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
'01 TT check engine light/OBDII reader options

swmbo's TT's thrown up an ECU fault light this evening. the car runs fine so i assume it's a menial sensor, but it'd be nice to know where to start.

the TT forum has a few OBDII reader options recommended, but just wondered if anyone had any personal recommendations. The USB ones look cheap and i assume give a more detailed output than the flashy LED ones, but are they reliable?

any advice would be great
cheers
tom

big_wasa

posted on 19/1/11 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got one of Universal Diagnostic Code Reader Engine Scanner Tool on eBay (end time 21-Jan-11 21:24:49 GMT) its been great other than the cheap feel of the buttons.
CraigJ

posted on 19/1/11 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Get vagcom. buy a cable from ebay and pay the 100quid for the license. alot better than fault readers. If you just want it checking and turning off id be happy to do it for you. Your not far from me. The other half also has a 2001 TT so i have the bits to check it.

PeterV

posted on 19/1/11 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Totally agree VAGCOM is very very good indeed. I have used it on my old Sharan TDI and my mates Golf GTI to great effect. You can also use some of the features without the license but it is well worth the money.
britishtrident

posted on 19/1/11 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
As above while a 16 pound Elm327 off ebay will probably read the DTC P codes you need but VAG vehicles are probably the best served by diagnostic software and scanners so you may as well get something that has the extra VAG diagnostic capability.

For a hand held scanner look at the Memoscan U585 or better U600 they will do a lot of VAG special stuff and of course the universal OBD/EOBD diagnostics.

If you have other car makes in the fleet for more money look at the Autel EU702 as in addition it will do special functions for most European

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

auroan

posted on 19/1/11 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have the full blown all singing all dancing hex version of VAGCOM/VCDS. (www.ross-tech.com) If you can get the motor over to York sometime I can scan it for you.
indykid

posted on 19/1/11 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
wow! thanks for all the responses!

currently, it's the only the TT and my mum's mondeo that are new enough for OBD so can't really justify the more expensive kit

i'll drop you a u2u craig and hopefully we can find a time to pop round. cheers again

katie's itching to take it to a garage and make the scary light go away, but i assume it must be something insignificant since it runs just like it ever did. i hope i'm right or i'll never hear the end of it i still need to diagnose the oil in water, but i'm hoping that's the oil cooler.

my '93 mx5 just runs and runs....i don't understand this interest in new cars

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.