Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: given up on GT5
jabbahutt

posted on 20/1/11 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
given up on GT5

Morning all

Well I don't know if anyone else here has come to a similar conclusion but I think GT5 is the biggest let down on gaming for many years. Some of the higher powered cars handling in licence tests is practically undriveable, if that's how they behave in real life I'm glad I haven't the money to afford them and as you need the licenes to enter the higher races it means I'll never see them.(example the Elise on the top gear track)

I don't have any expereince in real life racing or high speed driving but my Indy seems to have better road grip than a lot of the exotic cars in this game.

Also why do you get disqualified from licence tests when an AI car drives into you?

So before I send this game to the back of a cupboard for good, is it me? am I doing something wrong? Shame as I was reall loking forward to it.

I'm off to play call of duty as game playing is meant to be fun and relaxing not infuriating.

Yazza54

posted on 20/1/11 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, cheers for that, you've reminded me to trade my copy in.

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

deezee

posted on 20/1/11 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
I guess all those reviews were right. Its an awesome looking simulator, but a terrible game! TBH driving games are always a little let down. They either never have the cars and customisations I want, or they aren't actually fun enough. I want the fun of racing a car, without all the fuss.

MikeFellows

posted on 20/1/11 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Forza 3 ftw

forza 4 this year too

MakeEverything

posted on 20/1/11 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeFellows
Forza 3 ftw

forza 4 this year too

Ditto. Ive not seen the hype about forza 4 yet though.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

vinny1275

posted on 20/1/11 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Some of them just seem to be undriveable - I'm sure Lotus aren't happy with the impression it gives of the Elise... But that just makes me want to master them... I've spent hours trying to get gold on all the licence tests, shaving thousandths of seconds off at a time when you're getting close - maybe that's just me being geeky though...

MK9R

posted on 20/1/11 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Isn't this an example of why gaming can be such a bad thing (IMO), if you don't get instant gratification give up. I personally think the gaming culture is partly to blame on some peoples attitudes nowadays, where unless they get instant success they think they are being treated unfair, and that everything in life should be given to them on a plate.

For the record I'm not saying everyone who games is like this, or that there isn't a place for it, just an observation from seeing kids who spend every waking hour on the damn things rather than being outside! My 10 year old does have a Wii and PSP, but we limit the time he can spend on it, and to be fair he isn't an addict anyway, although he keeps asking for an xbox which we refuse to let him have (along with any more games consoles in the house).

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jabbahutt

posted on 20/1/11 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Austen

I see what you're getting at. I'm quite happy to sit there re trying things until I get them right when I know it's my fault it's not working. My problem is that I wouldn't expect a game dubbed the ultimate driving simulator to give the impression that high performance exotic cars that we aspire to own/drive actually are completely undriveable.

I've never driven an expensive high performance car but never imagined that braking in a straight line would result in the arse end of the car completely letting go.

An example id given above with the Elise, please don't tell me that a real Elise handles as portrayed in the game, braking results in complete loss of grip, surely that's wrong. either that or I need to hand my licence back as I'm not safe to drive a car in real life as that's how I try and drive in GT5

I'm interested to see peoples thoughts.

MK9R

posted on 20/1/11 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jabbahutt
Austen

I see what you're getting at. I'm quite happy to sit there re trying things until I get them right when I know it's my fault it's not working. My problem is that I wouldn't expect a game dubbed the ultimate driving simulator to give the impression that high performance exotic cars that we aspire to own/drive actually are completely undriveable.

I've never driven an expensive high performance car but never imagined that braking in a straight line would result in the arse end of the car completely letting go.

An example id given above with the Elise, please don't tell me that a real Elise handles as portrayed in the game, braking results in complete loss of grip, surely that's wrong. either that or I need to hand my licence back as I'm not safe to drive a car in real life as that's how I try and drive in GT5

BTW the way it wasn't a pop at you, and i'm not saying the game is good or bad (how would i know i never even seen it)

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jabbahutt

posted on 20/1/11 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Austen

No offence taken my friend. You point was a very valid one. After waiting for so long for it I can't beleive how disappointied I was by it. Having played GT since number 2 I've nevern come across such shocking handling with the more expensive/exotic cars which are the ones you should be aspiring to owning. Due to the way the cars handle I've found myself avoiding them.

I play games to relax and have fun and a bit of a challenge. Hence I'll quite happily play an on line shooter and getting beaten by eberyman and his dog but the diffrence is at least I' enjoy the losing process and the only reason I'm losing is because I'm rubbish at it. GT5 on the other hand doesn't seem to play with a level playing field.

auroan

posted on 20/1/11 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jabbahutt
Austen

How do you drive the cars in the sim ? When you brake in GT5 is the brake level bar fully on ? Now imagine what standing on the brake of an elise is like from speed in real life and see how far round the back end comes.

As soon as I switched away from using the std controller and started using wheel and pedals I found GT5 high lvl cars so much easier to drive, because I was using the same pedal/wheel control as I would in a real car.

jabbahutt

posted on 20/1/11 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
I unfortuntely only have access to a standard controller. I have no idea where the brake level indicator is located to be totally honest. I've just been playing how I did in the previous versions. As an example, one of the licences has you driving a lambo, I have to let it coast to slow down then very gently brake otherwise I'm off the track. As you can imagine driving like that doesn't get you any further up the field.

The final straw last night though is the fact you're penalised when an AI car drives into you which there is very little you can do whern braking to take a corner.

Looks like it could be my driving which is too blame then, or lack of reading the instructions before driving.

nick205

posted on 20/1/11 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Never had any form of games console or any desire to get one - just doesn't appeal to me.

I've tried other peoples Wii and XBox games, but always get bored after 10 mins and find myself wandering off to talk to somebody, read a book, ride my bike, fiddle with the wife, rearrange my spanners anything really.

Jasper

posted on 20/1/11 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Some comedian, maybe Dara, did a piece about this. What other thing do you buy and don't get access to all of it If you buy and book or film it doesn't restrict your access and stop you half way through.

It's one of the reasons I've pretty much given up gaming, seems to be unless you're under 20 years old and play obsessively for hours there are very few games you can just pick up and have a bit of fun with. Or you need lots of extra gear like steering wheels etc to be able to play them.

I would love a driving game with graphics like GT5 that has a full arcade mode in which you can play with everything in the game from the outset, that lets be honest you've paid for.

I'm currently playing a bit of Dirt 2 (Colin Mcrae) on the PC. I used to play with a Momo wheel and pedals, but now I've moved it up to the bedroom I can't use it anymore, so I bought a wireless Logitech gamepad and it's still a lot of fun to play. The graphics are superb, the physics are really good, and you can play for a hour and progress well. Loads of different tracks and types of car.

I think the gaming companies are missing out on a whole bunch of less obsessive or skilled gamers that want more than basic Wii graphics but easier and more 'fun' gaming. I get turned off a game once I have to redo the same old thing over and over again just to move up a ranking.

So if anybody knows any other good driving games for the PC do let me know!!

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

gavinpurvis

posted on 20/1/11 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
You need to turn the traction control and the ABS on if you want to brake heavily all the time, its in the settings.

I find the game easy with the controller and really hard with the steering wheel, but i have the full 900 rotation.

The thing i find difficult is i am concentrating so much i dont realise how fast i am actually going.

Jimbob

posted on 20/1/11 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
A good force feedback wheel and pedals are a must for driving sims, imagine driving your seven or tintop with a pad and no 'feel' for any controlls! You wont get pedal feel but once there set up you get much more control than you do with a trigger on a pad. My 2penneth!

James

eddie99

posted on 20/1/11 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Try using the right hand analogue for braking and not pulling it back all the way, and accelerating out of corners pushing it forward slightly more and more, I think its very realistic actually, and thats why its hard because its not like most of the other games out there...

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
stevebubs

posted on 20/1/11 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
For all out fun, I can recommend Burnout Paradise. Available for PC, Xbox and PS3.

Saw the PC version in Game the other day for about a fiver....

Jasper

posted on 20/1/11 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Steve, use to play Burnout Takedown on the PS2 and it was hours of fun And your right, my local Game have got it for £6 - that's my Sunday afternoon sorted

[Edited on 20/1/11 by Jasper]

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

locogeoff

posted on 20/1/11 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
So if anybody knows any other good driving games for the PC do let me know!!

rfactor, end of in my opinion. GP Legends Targa Florio if you're a complete masocist. Though I'm a sim fan.

As for GT5 I am going through it at the moment, the Lotus TG Challenge just about had me throwing the toys out of the pram, I was happy with bronze, I'm now doing the second part of the AMG Chalange and am 0.6s short of a gold medal. Each day I try and shave a bit, so be the end of next week I should have it. I think I'm going too fast which is making me analyse my driving style, all good if you ask me.

After doing the same course for day after day I always pop it into arcade and have a quick blast against some equalish competition at a level where i can win but I have to work, keeps the morale up.

[Edited on 20/1/11 by locogeoff]

Liam

posted on 20/1/11 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Think you're being a bit hard on the game to be honest. It's supposed to be, and is, reasonably realistic so it's not going to be easy. Especially if you're trying to control supercars with two little thumbsticks or just on/off buttons! Cars' performance in terms of handling, lap times etc etc is pretty close to the real versions, so I'm not sure why you find them so awful. Consider what extreme inputs you're probably putting into the cars with a pad at 180mph with no seat of the pants feeling and no fear, then think about how a real car might react. Try out some of the driving aids - pretty essential to give you a chance if you're stuck with a pad. Traction control is a must for anything RWD with power, but you might also appreciate the stability/skid recovery/etc type aids too if you expect to be able to just floor it, stamp on the brakes, point left or right with no drama! If you can't get to grips with it, maybe you'd prefer a more arcadey pick up and play for 10 mins type of game like Burnout or Need For Speed? Certainly dont ever try a PC sim!

As for the Elise, you have to remember, guys, it's fitted with hard comfort tyres on the TG challenge - something equivalent to the nastiest Ling-long fishy-slip ditchfinders judging by the way it behaves. It's part of the challenge (and also probably some kind of sick joke the TG guys must have had something to do with - like the camper van race, then when you've done the Elise race those stupid Kubelwagen things but with the field split up into two groups such that they meet at the points the track crosses itself!!). Still, after a few goes getting used to the grip level I found it easy to beat - being in 2nd or 3rd after the first lap. Try out an Elise with sticky sports tyres as it would be fitted with in real life and it handles just fine.

Must admit the disqualification on getting rammed by the AI in licenses can be damn frustrating! But if I look at the replays it often reveals what seemed like an AI car ramming me was more like me blatently cutting into their line or ramming them trying to outbreak .

Great game if you ask me. Only let down by some of the engine sounds - I really dont know why after all this time they can't get them sounding realistic, especially when many other games do a much much better job. They must have these lovely recordings, but something bad happens when they're put together and they all too often sound totally sterile. Oh well never mind.

[Edited on 20/1/11 by Liam]

Ninehigh

posted on 21/1/11 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
I remember GT3 and 4 being the same, I had a 1100bhp Esprit and I couldn't race it.. It needed soft tyres to handle properly, which it would chew through in one lap (which meant I had to lap about 20s/lap faster than everyone else) or I had the hard tyres which still didn't last a race and was like driving on ice...

I'm not at your level yet but I spent about 10 mins last night pirouetting in the Hommel Berlinette.

Marcus

posted on 22/1/11 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
The Elise Top Gear track thing had me beat, was all but impossible, so I left it alone. I worked my way up to level 20 or so and thought I'll give that another go. Aced it first time, I have no idea what I did differently but I think it's just getting used to the way they handle.

I have a weekly 2 hour blat around Monaco in the Elise online with a mate, that really helped get used to it.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.