Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kitcar panel flexing
Irony

posted on 25/1/11 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Kitcar panel flexing

I have mild steel floors welded into the floor of my Viento and when standing on them the panels flex up and down really badly which is accompanied with a loud bang. It's really really irritating. What can I do about it? Or will it just settle down when the seats are in etc??

See link with sound

irritating floor banging video

scootz

posted on 25/1/11 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure about it settling down, but I would contact Zildjian and see if they are interested in buying your design for a new cymbal!

It's Evolution Baby!

tomgregory2000

posted on 25/1/11 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
nope wont change, my viento does it, has done from new and does it with seats fitted
RazMan

posted on 25/1/11 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
You could try some sound deadening pads but they might be a bit heavy. It is sometimes a good idea to form a 'rib' in the steel before welding them in ...... a bit late now though

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 25/1/11 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
you just need something to stiffen it (i.e something out of its plane) even just bending it a little before welding it in would have been enough

you could tack on a small flat bar rib, but I guess that would get in the way of your seats

(but don't ask me whats the best fix, my dax doesn't have welded in floors...)

someone on here used bits of an old radiator as the flooring - the corigations were more than enough stiffeneing (must have take ages to weld round all the corigations though)

[Edited on 25/1/2011 by mcerd1]

-

RazMan

posted on 25/1/11 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
How about running a line of Mig down the panel - not exactly elegant but it might take the 'ping' out of the panels

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JeffHs

posted on 25/1/11 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Hit it with a hammer! Seriously, although it won't do your paint any good, you need to cold-form some stiffeners in by changing the shape. Suggest you support under the panel with a u shaped former then dress the metal down into the form with panel beating hammers.
Alternatively, you could apply localised heat to areas to shrink or stretch. Mild steel will take quite a bit of abuse without suffering serious harm

Irony

posted on 25/1/11 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I just need something to keep the panels in the down position. I think welding some sort of 'rib' is going to be my only option unless the weight of the seats keep it down.

Irony

posted on 25/1/11 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JeffHs
Hit it with a hammer! Seriously, although it won't do your paint any good, you need to cold-form some stiffeners in by changing the shape. Suggest you support under the panel with a u shaped former then dress the metal down into the form with panel beating hammers.
Alternatively, you could apply localised heat to areas to shrink or stretch. Mild steel will take quite a bit of abuse without suffering serious harm

I did think about just hitting it a few times with a sledge hammer.

interestedparty

posted on 25/1/11 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Once your seats are in, and everything else, I doubt that noise will be arising because you won't be standing on it like that, it will be more a question of sliding your legs over than part and down to the pedals

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

mcerd1

posted on 25/1/11 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty
Once your seats are in, and everything else, I doubt that noise will be arising because you won't be standing on it like that, it will be more a question of sliding your legs over than part and down to the pedals

yes but what about when the chassis flexes when you go over a bump in the road - I know a few people have had that issue....

-

interestedparty

posted on 25/1/11 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty

yes but what about when the chassis flexes when you go over a bump in the road - I know a few people have had that issue....

Good point. Definitely better to fix it if possible, I suppose it's a question of what facilities and skills the OP has, or can get, as to the best way to cure it.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

mistergrumpy

posted on 25/1/11 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Can you not just avoid standing on it? I've an aluminium floor which is rivetted and bonded and still don't like the thought of standing on it so never have. I just stand on the cross bar in front of the seats and use the handbrake and side rail for support.
owelly

posted on 25/1/11 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
What I would do, is route a big X in a thick piece of plywood, support the wood under the floor pan and then beat the panel in to the X shape in the wood using a rounded chisel. If that makes any sense?? This would have the benefit of shrinking the steel to pull it tight and adding ribs for strength. It would also provide a place for random bits of gravell to accumulate and rattle just give you another annoying noise.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

kenton

posted on 25/1/11 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
My viento was also like this, the floor would "boink" up and down. Between the seat base and the floor i have some ally strip approx 10mm x 50mm that runs the full width between the tunnel and the external chassis rail. The seat bolts pass through the ally and with the aid of some large washers under the floor pull it all down tight. That fixed it.
kenton

Irony

posted on 25/1/11 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Owelly, I like the thought of this idea and I think it would work but I think before undertaking a big hammering job I shall install the seats and see what that does.

matt_gsxr

posted on 25/1/11 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
what about this technique?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mptiiRLEJs0

dhutch

posted on 25/1/11 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JeffHs

Yeah. A common technique with such pannels is to put a very slight diagonal fold down them.

mad-butcher

posted on 26/1/11 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you look at the MK chassis there are 2 cross braces made of 50 x 6 flat bar that you mount the seats on, which would then when the seats are mounted take the flex out, you could also weld the floor to the cross member, sorry no photo

tony

loggyboy

posted on 27/1/11 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
Dont hit it, push it?
Try to lower the car down onto something that will stretch a curve in to the panel, maybe add some heat to it as the youtube link, but dont let it shrink, use it to stretch it in to a shape that will be taught enough not to flex.

mcerd1

posted on 27/1/11 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
someone on here used bits of an old radiator as the flooring - the corigations were more than enough stiffeneing (must have take ages to weld round all the corigations though)

found it

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=100672

[Edited on 27/1/2011 by mcerd1]

-

Irony

posted on 27/1/11 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

found it

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=100672

[Edited on 27/1/2011 by mcerd1]

Thats true locosting

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.