Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1700 x-flow big end bearings
jonno

posted on 4/2/11 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
1700 x-flow big end bearings

Hi, looks like i'm picking up a new car at the weekend that requires new big end bearings fitting to a 1700 xflow... but is it a easy job to replace the bearing (just sump off ? or head off ?) or should i just look out for a new engine ? (would a 1600 block be ok with the 1700 head etc)

Cheers... never played with a xflow and not sure whats easiest/cheapest option

having fun on a budget

steve m

posted on 4/2/11 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Although putting new mains in is pretty easy, imho i would rebilid the engins totaly, as it will have little bits of white metal floating around inside the engine

Steve

stevebubs

posted on 5/2/11 at 02:19 AM Reply With Quote
Ditto - those bearings will have gone for a reason...
britishtrident

posted on 5/2/11 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Big end bearing failure on an xflo is unusual, it would suggest something has been not quite right when the engine was last rebuilt.

As a minimum you need to take the engine out and carefully examine the big end journals, check them for excessive ovality (out of roundness) and scoring and check the size markings on the shell bearings to see if the crank has already been reground. There are three possible out comes the least costly is you will get away with just a new set of shell bearings, the next is that you have enough metal left on the crankshaft to get it ground under size, the worst case is you may have to scrap the crank.

To prevent it happening again you need to check the oil pump, sump suction strainer and pressure relief valve. You must also check the oil ways are clear.

rusty nuts

posted on 5/2/11 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Agree with taking the crank out at the very least X flow's are probably one of the easiest engines to work on with no real need for any special tools apart from torque wrench and a ring compressor. If you want to do a cheap fix it would be possible to undo the big end caps and push the piston/rod assembly up the bore slightly , remove the timing chain etc take off the main caps and remove the crank. It's worth bearing in mind (excuse the pun) that some main bearings were oversize on the outer diameter from the factory with the big end using standard width and narrow. Buton catalogue gives prices but you may be better off using your local engine reconditioners for parts.
jonno

posted on 5/2/11 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advise.. i'm picking up tomorrow so i'll have a listen to see how bad it is, but might take on my first engine rebuild !! (shame its not looking standard, so parts might be but of a mission), i'll have a browse on the Burtons website

having fun on a budget

rusty nuts

posted on 5/2/11 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
If it's any help I have a copy of Rebuilding and tuning a Xflow somewhere you can borrow

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.