Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Koso RX1N Fuel Level on Blackbird Sender
tilly819

posted on 21/2/11 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Koso RX1N Fuel Level on Blackbird Sender

Hi all

I have been installing a koso RX1N on my roadster and everything is working fine except the fuel level

Honda Blackbird Sender has 3 wires green, grey, brown
dash has one wire called (green/fuel-)

I can only make the display reed full all the time or empty all the time
I have followed the instructions in the manual for setting up the Ohm range and that appears to be fine

Also the sender and adjoining wires are fine since it worked fine with the original blackbird clocks that i have removed.

Any ideals?

Thanks Tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

YQUSTA

posted on 21/2/11 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
take a resistance reading between each of the wires.

You will need to do this with the sender in open and closed settings.

once you have found the earth/negative connect one of the others to your RX1n. see how it works without the sender in the tank If it works the wrong way round try the other wire from the sender.

If you are still having trouble I can take the boot out of my car and tell you the colours.

One other thing to be careful of is that the sender isn't grounding to the tank.

Took me a while to work out why the guage was showing full all the time when in the tank (after I had run out of fuel )
what I had to do was make sure the sender and the bolts used to hold it to the tank didn't touch.

Hope that helps a little.

[Edited on 21/2/11 by YQUSTA]

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

tilly819

posted on 21/2/11 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
ok cheers that sounds easy enough, i have been doing it assuming that the sender gets its ground as a frame ground from the sender flange on the tank (make sense?) so have just tryed connecting the 3 wires in turn to the rx1n. so what you are saying is that one of the other wires is a ground for the sender? that would make sense to me

tilly

Thurbs

posted on 21/2/11 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
I found with my blackbird sender with my koso clocks the gauge read backwards so I had to switch the wires round on the coil inside the sender, quiet a fiddler job
Can't remember wiring off hand but can check it when I'm home on Thursday.
Cheers
Andy

YQUSTA

posted on 21/2/11 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tilly819
ok cheers that sounds easy enough, i have been doing it assuming that the sender gets its ground as a frame ground from the sender flange on the tank (make sense?) so have just tryed connecting the 3 wires in turn to the rx1n. so what you are saying is that one of the other wires is a ground for the sender? that would make sense to me

tilly

Sounds like you have the same problem I had.

Best to take the sender out the tank to setup.

Yes one of the wires is earth/neutral.

one of the others will make the fuel guage show corectly and the other will make it work in reverse.

I had to do a bit of bending on mine to get it to work correctly when in the tank as I wanted it to show empty when I had around quarter of a tank left.

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

tilly819

posted on 21/2/11 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
yeh iv done the "bending" already i had it working on the origonal blackbird clocks for a few months in the car but it must get its earth from the clocks, il have to just measure it like you say then take one of the wires to earth then the other to the RX1N

might try it tomorrow night

thanks for the help

tilly

YQUSTA

posted on 22/2/11 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Had another think about this.

You have 3 wires on the sender but only 2 will show a difference in resistance when the float is moved. These are the 2 you need the third isn't required.

Connect 1 of the wires to the KOSO and one to ground and job should be done, if the KOSO reads backwards just reverse the wires and it should correct the problem.

Not sure why I have thought of this so info in previous posts maybe correct but it gives you another angle should the other ideas fail.

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

Thurbs

posted on 23/2/11 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thats what I found with only two cables connected, didn't matter which way you have them around it's resistence not polarity, reversing them makes no difference. I found it read the wrong around for my koso gauge which is why i had to switch the wires around on the variable resistor inside the fuel sender.

I think i read somewhere that the blackbird sender fits on the bottom of the bike tank so when it's fully extended i.e floating in the bike tank it's showing full, but when fitted to a car tank in the top fully extended is empty.
Hope this makes some sense but it's defo working ok on mine.

[Edited on 23/2/11 by Thurbs]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.