Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA Retest
rallyingden

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
IVA Retest

Went to Chadderton at 8am this morning for retest, all going well till he asked me to turn on my fog light which I had adjusted as part of the fail. Fog light came on ok but tell tale on dash and switch would not work AND when you turned the lights on the rev counter stopped working my heart sank.... He said we would test the emmissions and come back to that later. was feeling really pi$$ed off, this had never happened before. As I sat in the car waiting for him to sort out the emmissions tester I had a quick rummage under the dash and hey presto found a bad earth BINGO lamps & rev counter fixed. Then revving engine for emmissions the ferkin throttle jammed open. This was a brand new set of twin cables as I actually had this problem before it went for its first test. I lifted the bonnet, got hold of the cables and realised what was happening, they were touching the rocker cover which by now was red hot as it had been standing on tickover for 20mins or so. Luck would have it I had left a pair of pliers on top of the inlet manifold when I was changing pump jets last night so I pretended I was a thicko for doing that and blamed the throttle sticking on them. In actual fact I had pulled them away and they had started to cool, I just prayed that they would not bind when they cooled down.... They worked BRILL.

Next we moved onto what I thought was going to be the brake test as my car failed coz it bottomed out on the checker plate between the rollers but no !! took me round the rollers and instructed me to go for a brew while he did the noise test, who am I to argue.

After an anxious wait in the recepition he came in and ushered me to the car ........ "Put your bonnet back on, there's your pass certificate " ........... YIPPPEEEE passed.

Grinning from ear to ear I loaded the car onto my trailer and went stright up the motorway to Preston DVLA. OK sir fill this V55/5 in give us your paperwork and we will contact you in 2 to 3 weeks. I pleaded with the young girl that I was looking to try and get it taxed today while I had the car there for inspection, turns out they no longer want to inspect your car. After using all the charm I could muster this young girl said Oh yes we can do your tax disc today but you will have to wait for your log book. Thats ok with me I said so long as I can use it ..... Oh yes she said the vehicle is now on the system all you need is to get plates and your off, she gave me a form to give to the plate maker giving authority to make them. Didnt need that my lad makes them, so a quick call was made to him before I set off with my tax disc in hand. I called into his place picked the plates up, home and fitted them and have just been out for my first proper, legal spin it it.

WHAT A BLOODY FANTASTIC FEELING

Right what do I build next ..........

Thanks for all the support, answers & guidance all you Locosters have given, now I'm off to open that bottle of Barolo I've been saving for the occasion.

RD

Dick Axtell

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Well Done!! Looking forward to reaching same stage as you.
rallyingden

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^^^^ What Pi$$ed on Barolo LOL

RD

ashg

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
well done. good work getting it registered on the same day.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

chrisxr2

posted on 25/3/11 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Well done

Well done that man

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

austin man

posted on 25/3/11 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
welcome to the on the road club

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

adithorp

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Result!

I'd be doing someting about that throttle though before it jams open on the road. Take it easy out there.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Thurbs

posted on 26/3/11 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Well done mate, it's a great feeling.
rallyingden

posted on 26/3/11 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Result!

I'd be doing someting about that throttle though before it jams open on the road. Take it easy out there.

Throttle sorted before I took it for a spin

Cheers
RD

stevegough

posted on 26/3/11 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Well done, Dennis - IVA sounded a bit touch and go But, HEY HO!

DVLA thrashed on the same day too - well done for that, too! I told you they didn't need to inspect mine, either. New policy?

DVLA common sense

Leaving half your toolkit under the bonnet doesn't sound like a very good idea, though

Yeah - that's another point - what ARE you going to build next? (from your other thread). And more to the point, what am I going to build next?

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.