Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The little bit that goes in a right angle drive into a Ford T9
dhutch

posted on 25/3/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
The little bit that goes in a right angle drive into a Ford T9

I have a right angle drive coming of the gearbox before the cable, held to the gearbox with a circlip, cable screws onto it, upto the gauge. Problem is the hole lot hit the chassis when i went sideways over the curbs at snetterton, bend the circlip and let it all fall off.

I now learn there should be a small (inch long, maybe?) square section bar like at the end of a speedo cable that goes between the gearbox and the vdo angle drive. This is clearly lost and a need a new one, any thoughts, or do i just ring burton power? I also need a new circlip.

Daniel

austin man

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
would the end of a speedo cable if cut down do the job ? these are square

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

dhutch

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
would the end of a speedo cable if cut down do the job ? these are square

Quite possibly, although i dont know how long it would need to be to overlap with both? As i dont have a spare/old cable it also seams a waste to bin the whole of the rest of a new cable! But maybe thats the cheapest and best way?

old_timbo

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I wrecked one when my speedo cable seized. Its a length of square section inner cable 55mm long. Speedy cables sent me a couple of replacements FOC, but even if they charged I doubt they would be very expensive.

Tim

Gary 7

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Same thing happened on mine i used a short length of allen key, filed two edges off to form a square works perfect .
daniel mason

posted on 25/3/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
now thats the locost way! ^^^^

dhutch

posted on 25/3/11 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by old_timbo
I wrecked one when my speedo cable seized. Its a length of square section inner cable 55mm long. Speedy cables sent me a couple of replacements FOC, but even if they charged I doubt they would be very expensive.

Tim
This sounds good to me!

dhutch

posted on 31/3/11 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by old_timbo

Tim

Just spoke to them, apprently they make them as one offs, none of the shelf.

Minimum order £10, plus vat and delivery. (so thats £15 gone then)

He also said the would have to guess the lenght (depends a little apprently) and that you could cut them down (i suggested he 'made it long enough' and i sorted if from there) heyho

Anyway for some reason I said yes, they are going to make one and send it with a pair of suitably sized circlips.
Im going to measure its lenght/af and set about making my own for spares. But in the mean time i have no time and its a lot cheaper and better than any more points.

Daniel

[Edited on 31/3/2011 by dhutch]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.