Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help for kit car virgin
pauladamss

posted on 21/9/11 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Help for kit car virgin

Hello everyone as title says im new to kit cars so go easy on me.I have looking into kit cars for a while and have decided on the mk indy deluxe kit. The engine on the other hand is proving to be a little harder to decide on first thoughts were to go for a 2.0 pinto it looks to be the easiest option.But i would like to build something pretty quick and dont want to wish id used something else six months later.
How easy is it to fit a zetec engine as it is fwd?
Is it better to fit carbs (ecus scare me a bit)?
where do you stand with newer engines when it comes to cats what determines if you need one or not?
any help is appreciated.

dave-69isit

posted on 21/9/11 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
hello and welcome to the nut house please use the zetec as u will only change to one later as the pinto will give u fun but zetec is more fun for same sort off cash just my two pence i have a xflow but i love xflows lol
Poorscousertommy

posted on 21/9/11 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the club! I've been ummin and ahhin for months, settled on an Indy deluxe kit (still not yet ordered) an think I'm gonna settle on a duratec.. Step down from the original plan, but decent power as stock, better power on itbs (prob @ build) and then supercharge a la flak monkey as winter project once build complete!!

From my research, type 9 box (needs modded bellhousing - somebody help me here!) and job as they say is a good un!! Good luck whatever u go for and keep us posted!

Oh yeah, cat for IVA, an then sling it in the back of the garage afterwards!!

lotusmadandy

posted on 21/9/11 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul,welcome to the mad house.

I fitted a a pinto to my indy when i built it,then swapped it for a 2.0
zetec.my advice is to fit the zetec in the first place and be done with it.

The zetec is easy to fit,with the correct bits in place and bolts straight onto
the rwd box.you will need to consider the induction/ignition side of things
though and if your going carbs you will need megajolt.
Pre 95 engines dont need a cat.

Good choice of kit but then i am biased

Andy

mcerd1

posted on 21/9/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
an older engine (pre Aug 95) will save you from needing a CAT at the IVA

pinto's are my choice, but a CVH could make a swap to a zetec a little easier later and the 1.8 CVH sierra's arn't the most popular so it could be easier to find one

[Edited on 21/9/2011 by mcerd1]

-

Hellfire

posted on 21/9/11 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the madhouse.

Have you ever considered fitting a motorbike engine?................

Phil

se7ensport

posted on 21/9/11 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Bellhousing to suit type 9, low level sump, possible relocation of oil filter and alternator. Not cheap, but worth it in my opinion; I'm converting from Pinto and by budget of £2.5k is looking to become a spend of closer to £3k with throttle bodies and very low mileage 2009 engine.

Once tuned I'm expecting a good 185+bhp, 200 is often quoted as possible with standard engine on quality TB's and exhaust (but there are many variables).

quote:
Originally posted by Poorscousertommy
Welcome to the club! I've been ummin and ahhin for months, settled on an Indy deluxe kit (still not yet ordered) an think I'm gonna settle on a duratec.. Step down from the original plan, but decent power as stock, better power on itbs (prob @ build) and then supercharge a la flak monkey as winter project once build complete!!

From my research, type 9 box (needs modded bellhousing - somebody help me here!) and job as they say is a good un!! Good luck whatever u go for and keep us posted!

Oh yeah, cat for IVA, an then sling it in the back of the garage afterwards!!

[Edited on 21/9/11 by se7ensport]

pauladamss

posted on 21/9/11 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies have the people who have fitted zetecs used injection or carbs im a little worried about the engine side of things carbs distributors i can probably manage ecus not a clue.
austin man

posted on 21/9/11 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
The Zetec is simples really, you can fit carbs and get good power, the injection shouldnt be too scary with the aftermarket ecu's you will get 2 to 3 more MPG over a bike carbed engine.

Tunning potential of a 2 litre zetec is around 165 bhp without spending too much you can get 200 from one at a cost without wacking a turbo on it. anything up to 300 with a turbo on it. They are pretty indestructable as well 150k is nothing for one thats been serviced regularly.

Im running a 1.8 in an indy enough power for me and good handling

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

steve m

posted on 21/9/11 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome, Paul

I also, love xflows ! and would recomend them, and certainly for getting a car thru IVA/sva etc
they are old, robust, and dont need any emmisions etc, so much easier

Ii like the way my car drives with a xflow, and dont have any need for any more power, and to date have NEVER been beeten off the line

they are also so basic, you could work on them with very basic tooling

regards

steve

lotusmadandy

posted on 21/9/11 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Atm my zetec is running zx9r bike carbs with megajolt for sparks.

Easy to do but you need to consider getting it through iva.This is not impossible
though.You can also use a nice set of webbers.

Andy

pauladamss

posted on 21/9/11 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
I emailed mk at the weekend and have had no reply is this normal or should i give them a bell. how long does it take after ordering to get the kit weeks or months?
pauladamss

posted on 21/9/11 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
is it the emissions thats difficult to get it through the iva test
danny keenan

posted on 21/9/11 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
hi mate

i work at mk and answer the emails.iv not seen urs and i reply to them every day.unless yours is in the junk mail.

if you have any questions send me a u2u

cheers danny

bobinspain

posted on 21/9/11 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pauladamss
I emailed mk at the weekend and have had no reply is this normal or should i give them a bell. how long does it take after ordering to get the kit weeks or months?

Paul,
Danny has the last race of the series coming up this weekend and the workshop is pretty busy as I understand it.
E-mails get answered, but telephone calls are ALWAYS answered and in a more timely manner.
I'm in regular contact with Danny and Barry from here in Spain. No problems.

mcerd1

posted on 21/9/11 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
.....im a little worried about the engine side of things carbs distributors i can probably manage ecus not a clue.

the older engines mostly use a dizzy as standard (x-flow's, pinto's, CVH's, vauxhall redtop....) but the likes of a zetec hasn't got antwhere to fit one - so you'll need a spark only ECU even if you use carb's

don't let that scare you though, a system like megajolt is ideal for sparks on a zetec or as an upgrade on a dizzy (better performance and you can re-tune it yourself) it can be had for not much over £100 and only has a few wires to connect up.
also you can fit it to nearly any engine so it could be kept from one engine to the next

quote:
is it the emissions thats difficult to get it through the iva test

only as dificult as an MOT for the age of the engine you use

so new engines will almost certainly need a cat, but pre 73 engines only need a visual smoke test

[Edited on 21/9/2011 by mcerd1]

-

david_hornet27

posted on 21/9/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi and welcome.

I started with a 1.8 Pinto in my Seven and within 2 months had 'upgraded' to a re-bored and re-built 2.0 Pinto because I got used to the power. Another four months later and I am in the process of installing a 2.0 Zetec Blacktop because I got used to the power again. My advice is aim for the Zetec sooner rather than later and do what you need to get through the IVA. As others have mentioned it is much easier to get a Pinto through the IVA so maybe build it with a Pinto and change to Zetec once through the test. It is pretty easy and cheap if you can weld and there is sooooo much help and info on here to help when you get stuck.

I have managed to get all the bits and bobs needed for my Zetec conversion for little money, the guys on here are great for pointing you in the right direction and plenty of useful cheap bits for sale in that part of the forum.

If you need a decent 2.0 Pinto let me know as mine will be up for sale in the next couple of months. Only 500ish miles since rebuild so really just run in.

Good luck and keep us all informed on how you are getting on.

Cheers

David.

franky

posted on 21/9/11 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
If you use a factory ECU you'll have no emissions worries either.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.