Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Valve seat cutter for Pinto
po79

posted on 12/10/11 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Valve seat cutter for Pinto

Hi all,

I'm after a set of valve seat cutters for a big valve Pinto head. I'll be doing this by hand not machine.

Not to bothered what make but they need to be suitable for 38mm and 44.5mm valve seats.

I think these are normally 1.5 inch and 1 3/4 inch and with a 45 degree angle.

Let me know what you have, Cheers,

Poe.

snapper

posted on 12/10/11 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
You'll want to do a 3 angle valve seat to squeeze the extra bhp out

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

omega0684

posted on 12/10/11 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
i wouldn't bother doing it by hand, my local engine builder charged next to nothing to have my cut, phone around and see if you can save a lot of time.

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
po79

posted on 13/10/11 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,

I could be wrong but you can get blades that fit into the 45 degree cutters that do a 3 angle job in one pass so it means I should only need one cutting head for each valve instead of double sided cutters or several cutters for each angle.

I have phoned around and the cheapest quote has been £60 pounds per side so its £120 plus the vat. For not much more I could get my own cutters and use them as many times as I like. I've read about the Neway cutters on different site and haven't found anyone having problems cutting there seats by hand.

Time and patiance seems to be the key and a reasonable understanding of what your doing, I have all three so came to the decission that buying my own makes far more sense.

Cheers,

Poe.

snapper

posted on 13/10/11 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Not seen three angles in one cutter, would have to be valve size specific.
I agree it would be nice to have a set and cut your own.
You will need to open out the throats/ports behind the seats before cutting the seats.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

po79

posted on 14/10/11 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
These are the cutters

3 angle Valve seat cutter blades #5 for Neway/5pack 3angle seat cut in one pass! | eBay

Like you say the throats would need to be openned first with my trusty die grinder before cutting the seats. I think before using the 3 way cutting blades I would use a single cut blade first to get the seat near to where it needs to be. The 3 way blades do require a special tool to set them up.

The one thing that is really good about having my own cutters would be that once I no longer require them I could sell them at a later date and get some money back so not only would I save on the cost of getting someone else to cut the seats but I might even break even when if I sold the kit on again.

Poe.

mcerd1

posted on 14/10/11 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by po79
I have phoned around and the cheapest quote has been £60 pounds per side so its £120 plus the vat. .

I got 3 angle seats and bronze guides done for only a tiny bit more than that a couple of years ago...

-

rusty nuts

posted on 14/10/11 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Might be worth looking for a Black and Decker Vibrocentric bvalve seat cutter kit?? Make sure if you find one it has the stone dressing tool . May well be cheaper than a Neway cutter and the stones can be dressed at required angles
po79

posted on 17/10/11 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've only heard bad things about using the grinding stone type ones (for home use) every place I've read about this to have said the Neway style cutters are heads and shoulders above the stone grinders.

Cheers for the info tho,

Poe.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.